We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion!

Go down 
+10
Treesmurf
Jimbob
Athrun888
masofdas
OrangeRakoon
Crumpy Andy
The_Jaster
Buskalilly
JayMoyles
Balladeer
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion!   The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion! - Page 5 EmptySun 3 Nov 2019 - 19:35

OoT was pretty linear too. So were TP, WW, and MC. Zeldas being linear is not a problem I have. Not that Jas has said it's a problem, of course!

This, and everything else, has incidentally been put on hold while I play another game starring a hero in green. And then another game where you can catch fairies in small containers.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion!   The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion! - Page 5 EmptyMon 4 Nov 2019 - 3:22

Jimbob wrote:
The_Jaster wrote:
I've done the first two dungeons on this and tbh was a little shocked with how linear it all is, also did the owl tell you where to go all the time in the original? As I honestly don't remember him doing that.
I think he did - the text might be a bit clearer, but I'd have to say that the original was quite straight-forward.

Aye that's probably it & me remembering it all wrong even though I only played it for the first time 5+ years ago.

Balladeer wrote:
OoT was pretty linear too.  So were TP, WW, and MC.  Zeldas being linear is not a problem I have.  Not that Jas has said it's a problem, of course!

This, and everything else, has incidentally been put on hold while I play another game starring a hero in green.  And then another game where you can catch fairies in small containers.

True and yeah it isn't a problem plus maybe there's a bit of space for some exploration later on and I'm just too early in the game right now. Also dropped this for LM3 at the minute as well.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion!   The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion! - Page 5 EmptySun 10 Nov 2019 - 6:02

I finished the seventh dungeon. It was a bit of a slog, but I think it was just me to be honest. Lots of lateral thinking and I just wasn't awake enough this morning.

Anyway, on to the ending. I'm surprised how much forewarning I'm getting for the ending. I already knew it, of course, but I kind of figured it was going to be a big shock surprise. As is, i kind of feel like the monsters are the good guys here. . .
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion!   The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion! - Page 5 EmptyMon 11 Nov 2019 - 11:02

I prefer it being a gradual, signposted reveal to a "twist", I think it works better as it isn't relying on that shock factor.

The thing with the monsters is that they don't just want to preserve things as is, the longer they are left the more they will infest the island and the worse things will become.
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion!   The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion! - Page 5 EmptyFri 21 Feb 2020 - 23:20

Buskalilly wrote:
I finished the seventh dungeon. It was a bit of a slog, but I think it was just me to be honest. Lots of lateral thinking and I just wasn't awake enough this morning.

Bit late, but: I used a guide for dungeon seven. And for bits of dungeon five, after the mini-boss and layout irked me no end. It's odd: five and seven have been slogs, six and eight have been perfectly fine.

The game really really really needs a way of showing which staircases link up on the map. Still, home stretch now.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion!   The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion! - Page 5 EmptySat 22 Feb 2020 - 8:26

I'm in the middle of dungeon four. 

I've given 2D Zelda lots of chances over the last twenty years, like with the original Game Boy Link's Awakening, Link To The Past on GBA/Wii/Wii U and Minish Cap on 3DS. This Switch version Link's Awakening is reminding me why I never stuck those out: very honestly, this is boring the arse off of me. As good as it looks and sounds, nothing about the gameplay, map or dungeons is exciting me in the slightest. I was trying to get further into it the other night, but suddenly I just thought 'bollocks to this' and I loaded up The Ultimate 11: SNK Football Championship instead. 

I've not traded in too many Switch games, but I think this is destined for the Didn't Finish thread and to go back to the shop.  Meh
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion!   The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion! - Page 5 EmptySat 22 Feb 2020 - 9:10

On the one hand, I kind of agree. On the other, I wouldn't tar all of those games with the same brush. Maybe it's the nostalgia talking, but I remember Minish Cap's map unfolding in a nice way, and the dungeons being interesting and well-designed, especially some of the bosses. ALBW, my favourite 2D Zelda, had very interesting dungeons due to the implementation of the hieroglyphing mechanic. Meanwhile LttP's dungeons were dull unflagged slogs that I'm sure I only made it through with the help of NGC's Double Game Guide + or whatever they were calling them at the time. In my opinion, LA's dungeons sit in the middle, but sadly closer to the LttP end of things.

Then again, LA's joining Xenoblade 2 in the 'Cappa trade-ins' club, so it's in very lofty company. Razz
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion!   The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion! - Page 5 EmptySat 22 Feb 2020 - 19:12

I should probably trade in my copy in as well, just browsing GAME to see what would be a good exchange first though.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion!   The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion! - Page 5 EmptyMon 24 Feb 2020 - 12:45

You are all monsters. Monsters
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion!   The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion! - Page 5 EmptyMon 24 Feb 2020 - 14:17

You know what - that's fair (about the dungeon's being a slog-like, not about monsters - sorry Mr Rakoon!) The LA dungeons do suffer a bit from their GameBoy limitation roots, and actually, although I love A Link to the Past, the overworld is what's so great about that game.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion!   The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion! - Page 5 EmptyMon 24 Feb 2020 - 14:19

OrangeRakoon wrote:
You are all monsters. Monsters

Yep now they'll be saying BotW is good, madness I say
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion!   The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion! - Page 5 EmptyMon 24 Feb 2020 - 14:22

Hey, I loved the original and depending on the day you ask me it's either that or Minish Cap as my favourite 2D Zelda game but I just found returning to that old Zelda formula boring after getting my hands on something like BotW. Plus when you don't have the urge to return to a game after 3 or 4+ months something is up.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion!   The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion! - Page 5 EmptyMon 24 Feb 2020 - 17:10

I find the ALTTP overworld way worse than LA. I could write a lot about it, but to summarise:

- LA has a progressive, metroidvania design to exploring the map, with new items opening up new areas. The majority of ALTTP's map is explorable from almost the beginning of the game.
- LA starts you in a corner, so the the furthest reaches of the island feel distant. ALTTP starts you in the middle so everything is close by, and without the justification of a central hub like in (for example) Majora's Mask.
- LA has interesting and fun characters to find living across the island. ALTTP has... mostly old men selling things in caves.
- LA has a second settlement in Animal Village! ALTTP... doesn't.
- LA (remake) has better fast travel options.

LA has better dungeons too - especially when it comes to quality of life. Mid dungeon warps and the compass are just objectively good QOL improvements.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion!   The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion! - Page 5 EmptyMon 24 Feb 2020 - 20:08

If you're after something with "progressive, metroidvania design", "interesting and fun characters" and "better fast travel options", then The Ultimate 11: SNK Football Championship is the game for you  Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion!   The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion! - Page 5 EmptyMon 24 Feb 2020 - 20:13

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion!   The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion! - Page 5 EmptyMon 24 Feb 2020 - 20:52

OrangeRakoon wrote:
I find the ALTTP overworld way worse than LA. I could write a lot about it, but to summarise:

I agree with all of this (although you are damning the dungeons with faint praise there). Jimbob, what do you like about LttP's Hyrule that I'm not seeing? Is it the interplay with the Dark World?
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion!   The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion! - Page 5 EmptyTue 25 Feb 2020 - 10:23

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
If you're after something with "progressive, metroidvania design", "interesting and fun characters" and "better fast travel options", then The Ultimate 11: SNK Football Championship is the game for you  Thumbs Up!

Thanks, I'll check it out!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion!   The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion! - Page 5 EmptyTue 25 Feb 2020 - 21:37

OrangeRakoon wrote:

- LA has a progressive, metroidvania design to exploring the map, with new items opening up new areas. The majority of ALTTP's map is explorable from almost the beginning of the game.

Honestly, I find the latter style works better for Zelda. It's a large part of why BotW was such a magical experience for me because it allowed the player total freedom to do whatever they wanted. I'm not saying there's not a place for the former style of Zelda, but I get a lot more out of being able to roam the entire map to my heart's content from the start of the journey with only dungeons and special areas hidden until I'm ready for them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion!   The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion! - Page 5 EmptyWed 26 Feb 2020 - 12:58

BOTW's freedom is amazing, but the game is designed for it. ALBW does ALTTP's map a lot better because it has the item shop as a central point you return to and you can tackle the dungeons in any order. I like both approaches but I would say ALTTP is stuck between them (unintentionally) and suffers for it.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion!   The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion! - Page 5 EmptyWed 26 Feb 2020 - 19:42

I'm with OR, for the most part. I think that for me to enjoy the more exploration-focussed type of Zelda, it needs to have an overworld that's fun to explore. BotW did: LttP didn't, unless Jimbob tells me something that turns my view on my head. None of the 2D Zeldas have really, because I haven't been sucked into the atmosphere in the same way. LA certainly didn't have that.

I do think there's room for the second type of Zelda. BotW may be my favourite game ever, but I really would like to see not every 3D game now go down the BotW 'go anywhere from almost the start' route.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion!   The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion! - Page 5 EmptyWed 26 Feb 2020 - 19:47

Hope so, as it isn't as much about my dislike of BotW it's more because how well it's been received both critically and commercially that will we get more of that type of Zelda game then what we got with a Link's Awakening.

Last edited by masofdas on Wed 26 Feb 2020 - 19:56; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion!   The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion! - Page 5 EmptyWed 26 Feb 2020 - 19:54

Aye, much though I love BotW I do get that. It's exactly how I felt about the SMG games: they're great, but they weren't really what I wanted, and everybody else adored them so I assumed that was the future of the franchise.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion!   The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion! - Page 5 EmptyWed 26 Feb 2020 - 21:06

I think it was the sense of mystery, that you could see a lot of places you could almost get to, and that e.g. new items opened up several avenues. Links' Awakening's progression is very linear.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion!   The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion! - Page 5 EmptyThu 27 Feb 2020 - 19:55

Ah, I see. I just found that annoying. 'I can go here! Wait, no I can't because there's a rock but unlike the other rocks it's black and green so it'll have to wait until some undisclosed future time.' That's why I prefer the Metroidvania style, and if there is an open world they either need to specify the required items (the ALBW approach) or not gate progress based on items at all (the BotW approach).
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion!   The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion! - Page 5 EmptyFri 28 Feb 2020 - 10:25

Feels good to agree with balla on something Razz

What I like about progress gates in Link's Awakening is that you know once you get the item, there is a whole new area to discover. In ALTTP you[ve already done the exploring, you're just going back to pick up specific rocks to find secrets. I find that much less rewarding.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion!   The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion! - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - now in stop-motion!
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5