We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time?

Go down 
+8
masofdas
OrangeRakoon
Balladeer
Athrun888
Buskalilly
The_Jaster
JayMoyles
The Cappuccino Kid
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time?   What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time? - Page 3 EmptyTue 12 Mar 2019 - 22:32

I feel I'm sort of between you and OR, Balla and I wouldn't go back to FIFA 99 etc as you like say games like that normally have been bettered (I'd argue some like SFII and Melee haven't) but things like Metal Gear Solid the story is one of the main reasons to play it, can things like that be bettered though.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time?   What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time? - Page 3 EmptyWed 13 Mar 2019 - 11:10

I can sort of see the argument, but for me there is an important distinction between "I won't play this game because it's got worse" and "I won't play this game because I don't have the time".

Changing of tastes is a separate thing altogether (and entirely valid).
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time?   What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time? - Page 3 EmptyWed 13 Mar 2019 - 21:39

There might not be for you, and that's all good! It's all personal taste innit. And, heck, I wish I liked retro titles more than I do.

I seem to be able to make enough time for the games I want to play (in most cases), so for me, 'I don't have time to play this game' <=> 'I don't have time to play this game over other games' <=> 'I'm not enjoying it as much as other games' <=> 'It's not as good in my mind as other games' <=> 'It's not as good in my mind.' (The last double-headed arrow arising because I reckon it's impossible to judge games in a vacuum: all of my 'scorings' are in comparison to other games I like better or worse. I miss my maths degree. Sad )

Story is another matter though. I reckon the tech. can still get so bad, relative to other tech. that you've got used to of course, that the story becomes hard or impossible to enjoy; but the story itself won't age, Mas is right on that. So I reckon story games keep their appeal for longer (for me anyway).
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time?   What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time? - Page 3 EmptyMon 18 Mar 2019 - 20:33

masofdas wrote:
I feel I'm sort of between you and OR, Balla and I wouldn't go back to FIFA 99 etc as you like say games like that normally have been bettered (I'd argue some like SFII and Melee haven't) but things like Metal Gear Solid the story is one of the main reasons to play it, can things like that be bettered though.

Bad example as one of the old Fifa games, 96 I think it was, that has never been bettered because it allowed you to run away from the ref when he tried to give you a card.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time?   What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time? - Page 3 EmptyMon 18 Mar 2019 - 20:54

Treesmurf wrote:
masofdas wrote:

Bad example as one of the old Fifa games, 96 I think it was, that has never been bettered because it allowed you to run away from the ref when he tried to give you a card.

The Invisible Walls cheat made it brilliant in it's own right, but running away from the ref make a great game truly iconic. FIFA 96 Dance

FIFA: Road to World Cup 98 had indoor stadiums too.

You'd go back to FIFA 99 for the Rockafeller Skank intro though.

Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time?   What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time? - Page 3 EmptyTue 19 Mar 2019 - 22:14

That entire post has just reminded me how fun football games can be when they don't take themselves too seriously, I've only just remembered the goal celebration options where you could have fireworks or have some guy shout "gooooooooooal".

Whilst we're on the subject, most overrated game? Basically any modern Fifa, those games just aren't well made at all.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time?   What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time? - Page 3 EmptyTue 19 Mar 2019 - 22:52

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:

FIFA: Road to World Cup 98 had indoor stadiums too.

FIFA 97 did too! I played that a fair bit as a sprog on my family PC.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time?   What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time? - Page 3 EmptyWed 20 Mar 2019 - 10:53

I played Fifa 98 with my brother, my tactic was always to slide tackle his keeper when he was taking a goal kick to try and injure him Laughing
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time?   What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time? - Page 3 EmptySun 31 Mar 2019 - 20:18

Sorry to bump this back, but I've got round to starting to play Shadow of the Colossus. Yeah... I think it is over-rated. It's very beautiful, and actually I quite like the idea of minimalist games... but bosses are my least favourite part of a game anyway, where the rules completely differ from the rest of the game - having said that, these are the game. I guess you could treat them like puzzles, but they're kind of infuriating puzzles. The camera is a bit janky, and you have to stop about 5 minutes before the edge of a cliff for safety. I haven't finished it yet, mind, so maybe something amazing happens. I don't think it does. I also have a relative playing it, and they're trying to "get past the monsters so they can see what happens after". Oh dear...
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time?   What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time? - Page 3 EmptySun 31 Mar 2019 - 20:28

What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time? - Page 3 Ill-just-be-over-here-crying-in-the-corner
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time?   What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time? - Page 3 EmptyMon 1 Apr 2019 - 7:10

To be fair I usually like boss fights, especially ones where you're clambering over something: a couple of Mario Galaxy fights spring to mind.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time?   What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time? - Page 3 EmptyMon 1 Apr 2019 - 12:52

Jimbob wrote:
I haven't finished it yet, mind, so maybe something amazing happens.

I kept thinking this myself but it never happened.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time?   What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time? - Page 3 EmptyMon 1 Apr 2019 - 13:01

The_Jaster wrote:
Jimbob wrote:
I haven't finished it yet, mind, so maybe something amazing happens.

I kept thinking this myself but it never happened.

I was about to reply saying the ending is well worth it >_>
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time?   What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time? - Page 3 EmptyMon 1 Apr 2019 - 19:05

I can't believe I post on a forum with so many wrong individuals. Sad
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time?   What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time? - Page 3 EmptyMon 1 Apr 2019 - 19:12

I honestly don't even remember the ending. *shrugs*
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time?   What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time? - Page 3 EmptyTue 2 Apr 2019 - 13:06

JayMoyles wrote:
I can't believe I post on a forum with so many wrong individuals. Sad

I reckon they're doing it on purpose due to me slagging off BotW, like SotC has one of the best ends in gaming

Matthew Castle
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time?   What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time? - Page 3 EmptyTue 2 Apr 2019 - 13:59

The_Jaster wrote:
I honestly don't even remember the ending. *shrugs*

????

How

It's like SUPER memorable. I remember it more than any of the colossi!
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time?   What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time? - Page 3 EmptyTue 2 Apr 2019 - 14:49

Since I didn't enjoy the game I guess I just didn't care enough about the outcome? Anything I do remember of the story seemed super cliche or obvious to me as well.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time?   What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time? - Page 3 EmptyTue 2 Apr 2019 - 20:54

Yep Jas is just rubbing it in now. Razz
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time?   What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time? - Page 3 EmptyTue 2 Apr 2019 - 23:22

Not at all I genuinely just don't remember.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time?   What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time? - Page 3 EmptyWed 3 Apr 2019 - 9:27

As Mas says it's only one of the best endings in videogames... Razz
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time?   What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time? - Page 3 EmptyWed 3 Apr 2019 - 15:37

Right, I was curious so I looked it up to jog my memory and I still stand by what I said here.

Jaster wrote:
Anything I do remember of the story seemed super cliche or obvious to me.

It's like when you guess a plot twist really really early on in a film & it just has zero impact when what you guessed comes true, anyhow I'm not one to wallow on things I don't like so if any of you do love it then wire in I'll just be sitting here totally confused as to why you do. Laughing
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time?   What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time? - Page 3 EmptyWed 3 Apr 2019 - 18:12

Utter madness, I guess we can't like all the same thing but that ending is up there with likes of Snake Eater, Journey, Guns of the Patriots, The Last of Us for instance.

SotC is one of the few saving graces of the PS2 and surprisingly one of two PS2 games in my Top 10 of all time (did that Top 10 Twitter thing going around recently).
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time?   What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time? - Page 3 EmptyThu 4 Apr 2019 - 0:52

The_Jaster wrote:
anyhow I'm not one to wallow on things I don't like so if any of you do love it then wire in I'll just be sitting here totally confused as to why you do. Laughing  

Different tastes and all, but...

SotC Ending Spoilers:

Different strokes for different folks and all, but I love that game to bits.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time?   What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time? - Page 3 EmptyThu 4 Apr 2019 - 10:46

Jay has it right. It's not a "plot twist" at the end, it's the realisation of a creeping inevitability. I think it's perfectly done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time?   What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

What's The Most Overrated Game Of All Time?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next