We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread

Go down 
+9
masofdas
fronkhead
The_Jaster
The Cappuccino Kid
JayMoyles
Treesmurf
SuperPaperLink
Crumpy Andy
Athrun888
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread Empty
PostSubject: The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread   The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread EmptySat 25 May 2013 - 10:14

I was after some thoughts on a game I may or may not buy in a few days when it suddenly hit me, this place lacks a place where people can ask about games and get recommendations! And so I have taken it upon my humble self to fix this problematic problem with haste.

So, I shall kick this ball and get it rolling. The game I mentioned in the first sentence is Assassins Creed II. It's very cheap at twenty-five dollars new and I'm considering picking it up in a few days, but the question is whether I will like it. I tried it once before and I don't recall disliking it or anything, I just seem to remember drifting away from it like I do with some games and returning it to the rental store.

Now as for previous western action games I've played my experience with the genre can be summed up with one game, Batman Arkham Asylum, which I loved. So given that would picking up ACII be a wise decision?
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread   The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread EmptySat 25 May 2013 - 11:26

Well I can't say there's any similarities with Batman really. I could recommend Arkham City based on that but not really Creed. I personally adore ACII and think that it's worth a punt as I reckon it'll be quite cheap anyway. It always comes off as a bit of a marmite game, those that love it really love it, everyone else just doesn't get it at all.
Back to top Go down
SuperPaperLink
Stability Update
SuperPaperLink

PostSubject: Re: The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread   The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread EmptySat 25 May 2013 - 14:44

ACII is still one of my favourite games too date.

Not really that much comparison with Batman though to be honest, the stealth is actually much harder in AC, but then you usually can just slash the hell out of anything if you fail at the stealth, where as Batman forces you too be stealthy or be shot to pieces. (although Batman has the advantage of being able to see through walls ect)
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread   The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread EmptySat 25 May 2013 - 15:07

Surely you mean 3? I don't know much about oz money but $25 sounds like a lot for the 2nd. Whichever one you mean though I'd recommend it, only played Brotherhood so far which like you I drifted away from but once I gave it a proper go I got drawn in like any great game will usually do (like the Batman games did).
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread   The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread EmptySat 25 May 2013 - 15:18

ACII is cracking, my personal favourite in the series. It's one of the truly great sequels as it builds upon the first game in every way. Great story, looks gorgeous and is just a really fun time. Recommended!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread   The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread EmptySat 25 May 2013 - 16:00

I was in the same position as you, Athrun888, until I got a bit of a deal on ACIII. I ended up drifting away from it after about ten hours as Lego City Undercover took my interest. Adventure games aren't usually my bag, I found plenty to admire and little to dislike. I'd say it's worth a punt.

~

I'm eligible for one of the Too Many Games free downloads. As I've got Luigi's Mansion 2 and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (as well as a Castlevania code) already, I'm swaying towards Fire Emblem: Awakening. I can't ignore the 'Game Of The Year!' reviews, but I haven't got along with other strategy games in the past: Advance Wars kicked my arse and I felt Ghost Recon was as close to a 0/10 game I've played on 3DS.

My question: exactly how good is Fire Emblem? The demo seemed alright, and everything about it screams high-quality, but is Fire Emblem the sort of game you need to have a lot of spare time to enjoy? Is it one of those games where it takes an hour to complete a level? Is it a game with loads of cutscenes? Is it one of these games that inexplicably has loads of untranslated Japanese dialogue and silly names that I can't be buggered trying to pronounce? I'm willing to go into it with an open mind, but I admit that I hate all of that stuff with a passion.

I'd appreciate the advice. Ta.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread   The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread EmptySat 25 May 2013 - 16:36

Phillips wrote:
My question: exactly how good is Fire Emblem?

Insanely good. I've put a lot of time into these games.

Phillips wrote:
The demo seemed alright, and everything about it screams high-quality, but is Fire Emblem the sort of game you need to have a lot of spare time to enjoy?

Yep. Well, not so much with the DS. You can put the console to sleep and pick up a level part way through if you'd like. I just like doing the levels in one go.

Phillips wrote:
Is it one of those games where it takes an hour to complete a level?

Towards the endgame, yes. This can be alleviated by playing on a lower difficulty setting though, I guess.

Phillips wrote:
Is it a game with loads of cutscenes?

Not particularly. There are a fair few, but not so many as to piss you off, like in Final Fantasy XIII or Metal Gear Solid 4 for example.

Phillips wrote:
Is it one of these games that inexplicably has loads of untranslated Japanese dialogue and silly names that I can't be buggered trying to pronounce? I'm willing to go into it with an open mind, but I admit that I hate all of that stuff with a passion.

No, the translation is of a very high standard. The names and setting and story fall into typical fantasy fare, but there's no characters with really stupid names like "Xaro Xhaon Doxes" or something like that.

Hope that helps Phillips! Smile

Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread   The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread EmptySun 26 May 2013 - 0:25

Excellent. Thank you very much - exactly the sort of feedback from a fan of the game that I was looking for. Grin
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread   The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread EmptySun 26 May 2013 - 15:52

Cheers all for the information about Assassins Creed II, I'll pick it up when I go shopping on Tuesday, well if it's still there, they were down to their last copy. I'm sure if it's not I can get it elsewhere online for the same price and a couple days waiting though.

treesmurf11 wrote:
Surely you mean 3? I don't know much about oz money but $25 sounds like a lot for the 2nd. Whichever one you mean though I'd recommend it, only played Brotherhood so far which like you I drifted away from but once I gave it a proper go I got drawn in like any great game will usually do (like the Batman games did).

Actually 25$ would probably be around 12-15 pounds if I recall how the exchange rates tend to go, so it's pretty reasonable.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread   The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread EmptySun 26 May 2013 - 18:41

Phillips wrote:
Excellent. Thank you very much - exactly the sort of feedback from a fan of the game that I was looking for. Grin

I'm not saying this to put you off but the story is complete gash, I'm enjoying it but I'm just not finding that I care a whole lot about the characters.

.......but aye battle system is top notch.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread   The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread EmptyMon 3 Jun 2013 - 10:56

@Phillips

I never got on with Advance Wars, as good as it is, but am really enjoying Fire Emblem if that's any help to you.

The game eases you in really well, with detailed explanations and a gentle difficulty curve, and it's all presented so lovingly that it's hard not to be engaged. Have you tried the eShop demo?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread   The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread EmptySat 15 Jun 2013 - 23:50

Anyone recommend on the 3DS,  I've played most of the more mainstream games but feel I still might missed something.

Sonic Generations
Harvest Moon: The Tale of Two Towns
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked
Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance]
Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion
Pilotwings Resort
Super Pokémon Rumble
BlazBlue Continuum Shift 2
Dream Trigger

these are a few i can think off, any of them any good and worth getting
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread   The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread EmptySun 16 Jun 2013 - 11:47

Sonic Generations - Brilliant.
Harvest Moon: The Tale of Two Towns - Disappointing. I only remember the rubbish 3D. Forget it.
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked - Balls to that!
Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance] - Don't know. There's a demo on eShop.
Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion - Don't know. There's a demo on eShop.
Pilotwings Resort - Brilliant.
Super Pokémon Rumble - Addictive but rubbish. Odd one. Get it if you can find it for under a tenner. Otherwise forget it.
BlazBlue Continuum Shift 2 - Never heard of it.
Dream Trigger - Never heard of it.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread   The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread EmptySun 16 Jun 2013 - 12:55

Surely if you're going to get Blazblue you'd be better off getting a console version. Fighters are OK on 3DS but I wouldn't recommend taking that version. Pilotwings I cant recommend more highly and I'm pretty sure I heard Dream Trigger was naff.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread   The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread EmptySun 16 Jun 2013 - 18:25

okay cool thanks, i don't really like fighters on consoles anymore they seem boring now but injustice was good because of the story mode. I seen today bit trip is that nay good, it was £8.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread   The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread EmptySun 16 Jun 2013 - 19:04

For £8 I'd go for it.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread   The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread EmptySun 16 Jun 2013 - 19:23

Though if you see the Wii version equally as cheap get that instead, they are Wii games after all.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread   The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread EmptyThu 20 Jun 2013 - 10:12

Just downloaded New Super Luigi. Got about 12 quid left on my Wii U. I'm thinking The Cave, Trine 2 or Chasing Aurora. Any advice?
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread   The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread EmptyThu 20 Jun 2013 - 12:43

I wouldn't recommend Chasing Aurora. It doesn't have enough content, ideas, ambition...well, it doesn't have enough anything, really. Aside from the excellent art design, I found it to be entirely lacklustre.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread   The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread EmptyThu 20 Jun 2013 - 13:14

The Cave seemed pretty fun - never played it, but seemed to be a humorous puzzler with good voice acting.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread   The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread EmptyThu 20 Jun 2013 - 13:25

I really didn't get along with the Cave, it was pretty boring and the puzzles weren't very good either. Better than Trine 2 with its terible physics and worse puzzles though.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread   The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread EmptyThu 20 Jun 2013 - 13:33

The Cave isn't all that I'd say, not played Trine 2 but I know most people like it and Andyman not liking it is probably further proof of that. #Razz
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread   The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread EmptyThu 20 Jun 2013 - 13:40

In a shocking and unexpected turn of events, I'll agree with Andyman.  While T2 was a thing of beauty that showed off the graphical improvement of the Wii U over its predecessor, there were about two good puzzles a level.  The rest were, "Stack loadsa blocks with the mage, climb up them and jump with the thief, and hit people with the knight."  And the voice acting was rubbish too.  

And this isn't Twiddler, Smurf.  Hashtags do Fanny Adams here.  (Apart from annoying the resident Twittophobe, of course.)
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread   The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread EmptyThu 20 Jun 2013 - 14:03

So far I've just got a big old pile of No...

Maybe I'll just wait until we get LttP or MM on VC.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread   The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread EmptyThu 20 Jun 2013 - 14:13

You've got new Ducktales and Oddworld coming your way, plenty to save your cash for.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread   The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread Empty

Back to top Go down

The "Will I Like This Game slash Please Rec Me A Game Based On My Tastes" thread
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next