We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts

Go down 
+11
masofdas
The Cappuccino Kid
JayMoyles
The_Jaster
Kriken
Muss
Treesmurf
Rum
Crumpy Andy
OrangeRakoon
Jimbob
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 EmptyFri 2 Jul 2021 - 12:49

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 Header

This should've been a good game, but it's not.

The premise: You're the first elected leader of a fictional Middle Eastern country who has to charter a path towards successful a couple of successful re-elections. You do this by essentially playing a simplified game of Civ with a few twists. Most of the differentiations between Rogue State: Revolution and Civ are simplifications. You only have your local territory to explore, there are only a few factions (your neighbours and the major powers, China, USA, and Russia), and there isn't so much a tech tree as a bunch of perks you can have your ministers unlock over time. That said you are in a volatile part of the Middle East, so you will have a greater emphasis on managing corruption, exploring policies that could be seen as inhumane, fascist or communist as you manage your legal, immigration, and rights within your country. Which suits the game, although somewhat questionably all of this will be explained by your military and domestic advisors in live action cutscenes. There's a sense of humour here that at once seems fittingly amateur and perhaps in poor taste. I mean, in video games most of the time the Middle East is just a place for the CODS to shoot Muslims. So while I understand the idea behind using amateur acting to convey the general incompetence of the nation you represent, maybe it would have been better if the game was given a bit more seriousness and respect.

Most of your early game is built around setting up your economy. There's a nice import/export system here, which eventually gives you decisions to make on immigration too because you only have a finite number of workers in each of your provinces. You'll work towards exploiting natural resources early on, and perhaps set up one of you provinces as a tourist hub, all while managing your population's happiness, the threat of war, and the extent to which you've destroyed your environment. Managing these things isn't easy, but it's the sort of thing that you can pick up over time.

So why is it bad?

It.

Takes.

Forever.

To.

Do.

Anything!

You have to micromanage each agent or soldier on the map. This isn't so bad in the early game, but by the time you're approaching your first re-election it's already getting insufferable. Sure, you can tell an agent to move east for 10 turns, but you have to, HAVE TO, watch them crawl across the map because the game doesn't fast forward through their actions. This sounds like the sort of thing that will be fixed eventually but I can't help but feel the game would've been better if it just abstracted all the physical unit management into various sliders. Instead of moving a military about, I'd rather just spend X on the north border and Y on internal security. It's not like we'd be missing out on anything when there is a conflict, since there isn't really much in the way of tactics going on anyway. There aren't really formations or anything to play with, it's just strong beats weak. You do build roads, so there is some infrastructure in play, but really it's not enough to make it even remotely interesting.

It's a shame because one of the game's selling points is a Groundhog Day Rogue-like element, by which you start again after each failure. It's not meant to be an easy game, it's meant to be a game you learn from over time until you solve it. But I have no interest in solving a puzzle that takes forever between turns. One of the most important elements of a Rogue-like is tempo, specifically the rhythm between starting one run and then being pushed into another. When a single campaign takes many hours, and when much of that time involves watching your agents, then there's just no way I can recommend it.

6/10
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 EmptyFri 2 Jul 2021 - 22:01

Sounds like fun.  And by 'fun' I mean 'a full-time job'.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fassets.rockpapershotgun.com%2Fimages%2F2020%2F03%2Fori-and-the-will-of-the-wisps-review-3

This is a big improvement!  Or at least that's how it felt to me, anyway.  I didn't get very far in Ori and the Blind Forest, didn't give it the chance it deserved perhaps - but almost from the off I felt happier with the Ori of the Will of the Wisps.  The biggest improvement was the combat: Ori's Stick-o-Light is much more satisfying to wield than the flicky little thing you get in Ori 1.  The game seems to know it, putting you in combat situations more often, and occasionally even deigning to throw in the odd boss.  They're pretty good fun.

With the increased combat focus comes a decreased focus (at least initially) on precision platforming, which is also a godsend for the slippery sprite.  That said, the game does give you the tools early days to compensate for the slippyness of your character: an early dash and double-jump combination were much appreciated.  In Ori 2 I reached the part where everyone said Ori 1 got good, where you have not only these but various grapples and context-sensitive dashes, and at this point Ori was for the most part actually fun to control!  Actually fun I say!  Also, the inclusion of friendly NPCs, a hub world, and emotional story moments that hadn't been spoiled for me by all and sundry helped me appreciate the world a fair bit more - even if the promotional material makes it seem like you'll get a lot more out of your owl chum than actually arises.

Unfortunately Ori 2 does carry over some of the other weak aspects of its predecessor.  First, the visuals: Ori 2 feels like a pretty game 'by design', with a lot of the world a bit colourless and artistically dull (witness the ochre forest up above).  A tedious purple area early days is a prime culprit.  Also, the storytelling: can we all agree that the worst way to tell a story in games is with unskippable subtitles you can't hammer A through, accompanying fantasy language narration?  Good, then I can move onto the real kicker: chase scenes are back, and they're wank.  Ori games in general like their insta-death a little too much, and these, reaction/memory tests with no checkpoints, are the worst part of them.  This is where Ori's slippery nature starts spoiling the fun again, too.  There are more chases than bosses, and this is very much the wrong way around from a fun perspective.

Saying that, the final phase of the final boss is absolutely one of the least fun most frustrating things I've ever suffered through in gaming.  To have such an awful moment right at the end of a game I'd by that point sworn to beat was a real kick in the wisps.

It wasn't enough for me not to like Ori 2 overall.  It's not the world-changer I was promised, but after Ori 1 I wasn't expecting that.  Instead I got a good Metroidvania that was just a few duff set-pieces away from being great.

7/10 (recommended)
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 EmptySat 3 Jul 2021 - 8:05

Sorry lads, I get that it's poor form to post reviews straight after other ones but it makes best sense that folk maybe read this before its Switch trial ends in a few days and I had it typed out anyway.

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 H2x1_NSwitch_Fuser

I finished the main Campaign mode in Fuser, Harmonix’s latest rhythm action game. Kind of like DJ Hero but without a bulky plastic peripheral, it’s all about performing as a DJ and making your virtual (AI and online) crowd happy, loud and interested. You do this by switching up tracks across different genres, using samples and instrumentals, adjusting the tempo and volume of your tunes, manipulating specific beats and so on. There’s other options to operate lighting and visual effects in time to the beat, but staying in rhythm and responding to crowd requests is what’s really pivotal to your success.

I was expecting to tinker about with this for an hour or so during it’s Nintendo Switch Online trial, but it really quickly impressed me. I was hooked on Fuser until I finished it, I absolutely loved it. The way that the Campaign mode drop-fed me new abilities during different sets was really smart – it basically acted as a big tutorial, and the sheer variety of sound options really impressed me while rarely overwhelming me. It’s not a pressurising game at all though, and there’s a selectable no-fail option throughout it all that essentially lets you enjoy the music and mixes care-free. Fuser’s core gameplay is incredibly entertaining, and it just gives, and gives, and gives.

The eclectic and multi-genre tracklist allowed me to combine some really catchy mixes that have looped around in my head for the last few days. Not every song meshes with all the others, but for the most part it’s hugely successful. You can’t not have fun with, say, mixing the strings from Call Me Maybe and the guitar from Symphony of Destruction with the horns from X Gon Give It To Ya and the keyboard from Hot Stuff. There’s probably literally millions of musical combinations – and they all sound amazing with Ace of Base’s The Sign for the vocals.

In the past Fuser was a £60 digital-only game, and that was just for the base game itself and no DLC. That price always put me off. Yet while it’s free, I think it’s unmissable. My only concern is that the life of the game might be short, especially as it doesn’t seem to have been all that successful since it came out on all formats last winter. That’s not for anybody but the development team, publisher and marketing folk to worry about though. For the time being, I’m very content with what I’ve experienced of Fuser, and I’m really glad that I had the opportunity to play it. 9/10.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 EmptySat 3 Jul 2021 - 15:53

That does sound good, is the online aspect optional? As I'd really like to just DJ away solo without feeling the need to impress a real audience.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 EmptySun 4 Jul 2021 - 13:22

Of those three games, Ori is the one I'd likely buy. Fuser sounds like a blast but my past experience with music tools is similar to game tools - piss about with it for an hour and then never return. The fact there's a campaign mode and a crowd mechanic a la Paper Mario has me intrigued though. Maybe if it goes on sale. As for Rogue State, I have Civ 5 on Steam but booted it up once, was overwhelmed by it all, and promptly uninstalled it. There ends my experience with Civ.

Steamworld Dig 2

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 Large

I have mixed feelings towards this game, having rolled the credits after 20 hours.

Despite being superior in pretty much every way to the first Steamworld Dig, the first game felt tighter. I had got through to the final boss after 10 hours, so I actually spent the same amount of time hoovering up currency and grinding to get my XP up, as Rosie is a tough cookie.

The addition of a Worms-style ninja rope certainly opens things up - once you get all the different abilities upgraded there's a good sense of achievement as you boss it around the caves. I appreciate the light use of puzzles, the largely secondary plot and characters, and even the sci-fi horror bit that I initially got stuck on (turns out you just have to keep running away) didn't detract from the actual game. I just think I spent too much time in this world, which quickly becomes empty and dare I say it, boring. Once you have done all your digging, you're left with a hollow version of Hollow Knight.

I like Steamworld Dig 2 and would recommend it. It still has that casual Sunday afternoon feel to it; hungover with a tube of Pringles as you chip away at dirt and brick like a braindead miner, it just didn't have that special something to mark it out in what's now a crowded genre.

7.5/10
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 EmptySun 4 Jul 2021 - 17:33

I played Civ once with cheat modes on.  I was bored out of my skull.  Similar but different!  As for Steamworld Dig 2, file that under games I really wanted to like, especially after it ditched the procgen aspect of the prequel... but the mine felt procgen anyway.  Just lacked that killer edge to the world design.  Looks like you might have felt similarly, but perhaps ploughing through it allowed you to get to the bits where you feel more powerful and that improved the final experience.

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn02.nintendo-europe.com%2Fmedia%2Fimages%2F10_share_images%2Fgames_15%2Fnew_nintendo_3ds_download_software_2%2FH2x1_N3DSDS_MomHidMyGame_image1600w

I bought this today and finished it an hour later.  It's endearingly daft: the 50 scenarios are like mini-escape rooms, mini-adventure game puzzles, or even un-timed WarioWare experiences.  There's the same level of madcap to it - why has Mom put a crocodile in her front room and fed it your DS?  Surprisingly sweet ending too.  Still, I did finish it an hour later, and it didn't change my life.  It's not worth the £4.50 it's going for, but if it's ever on sale for half that it's an easy recommendation.  I've wishlisted the sequel.  6/10
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 EmptyMon 5 Jul 2021 - 10:51

Saw the MHMG chat in the TOH Discord, sounds like it might be worth a bash sometime when on sale.

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 Space-Jam-A-New-Legacy-The-Game-Main-Art-1200x628

The new Space Jam game is free to everyone on Xbox come July 15th but at the moment is a Perk for Game Pass Ultimate, either way it's a short 30mins movie tie in 2D beat-em up from a competition Xbox ran.

For that, it's fine.

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 Mario-golf-super-rush-1024x576

Keeping with the sports theme, okay Space Jam is a beat-em up, and that's Mario Golf which I finished the Adventure mode last night. The Adventure basically feels like a big tutorial on all the different modes of Golf and things like shot types, then an actual adventure mode till the end, where it does go all Mario.

I might have to have a proper look at the other modes as I feel Adventure mode would set you up nicely for some cups playing all 18 holes of the course, just from what I've seen from the menus don't think that's the case.

The game of Golf is great, just content might be the issue and Buska seen picked it up & all ready say play a few times which think will be the case as not sure how much we will play online, then for me selling this will buy Monster Hunter Stories 2 for instance.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 EmptyMon 5 Jul 2021 - 11:00

Weird that Space Jam is a beat 'em up. I have fond memories of the original game. I expect if I played it now it would be absolute garbage but back then Space Jam was cool, Michael Jordan was the bomb, and getting to mess around with the Looney Tunes was great. It being unbalanced, short, or whatever really didn't matter to me at all.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 EmptyTue 6 Jul 2021 - 7:12

I played a bit of Fuser yesterday off the back of this, but I couldn't quite make my mind up, I felt that most of the time it was a bit too random and chaotic, but that probably makes sense that it wouldn't click as well with me based on that... I might pick it up when it's even cheaper, but still a bit pricey for me right now.

Isn't MHMY free on phones? If not I certainly paid a small fee for it several years ago, just check it out there.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 EmptyTue 6 Jul 2021 - 20:26

Very possibly.  Definitely feels like a mobile game.

I am not buying Mario Golf for now. The general verdict seems to be the written equivalent of a long sigh.

GATO ROBOTO:
Back to top Go down
Kriken
Layton's Apprentice
Kriken

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 EmptyWed 7 Jul 2021 - 2:12

Disgaea 6.

Really liked it. Disgaea 5 was my favourite in the series. This game took away some features that I liked, but also added stuff I liked.

I thought the cast was better in this game. They were a lot less annoying overall, and more fun and varied. The main character in particular is a lot better. Killia (5's main) was a bit bland and doesn't really grow throughout the game. In 6 the growth is tangible and happens very gradually throughout the game. No other Disgaea game has done it better.

I miss the overload skills in 5, but I like how monster characters are more viable even if it was done by basically making them functionally the same as humanoid characters in a lot of ways. I actually ended up using a ton of different classes this time around - in part due to the game encouraging reincarnation - and that was fun.

I will say that maybe some people may not like the 3D models compared to the sprites, especially since on Switch the performance isn't amazing (on the balanced option it's fine in my opinion), and overall the music is not as good as it was in 5. It has the best hub world theme in the series though: https://youtu.be/fw7Ibx_Vv2Y

The story also takes a while to get going. Suffers like 3 in that it starts off a bit too silly in tone, but like all the games - and that's why I wasn't too worried at the start - it does start to reveal a lot of emotional depth and does it with a surprising amount of gravitas.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 EmptyWed 7 Jul 2021 - 19:49

I did like the look of Disgaea 6, but I know I never finish it.

Urgh playing on mobile, waits two years...

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 Sky-le-petite-prince.original

Sky is finally on something other than phones and as a fan of Flower & more importantly Journey this has always been on my radar. Well I just finished this beautiful game and the start of the Little Prince seasonal content which I did buy the Adventure Pass for which works like a Battle Pass that you unlock more stuff than not having it, which was £10, as really I wanted to give thatgamecompany some money as playing Sky for 5hrs (guessing) and enjoying it much as I have without thatgamecompany getting a penny didn't seem right.

Sky plays a lot like Journey, just instead of one person on your journey there's multiple and more emotes etc to express yourself, which build on the foundations of Journey.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 EmptyThu 8 Jul 2021 - 20:40

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 H2x1_n11

Also known as the game that has mostly kept me away from Mario Golf, this is a neat game, you're essentially tasked with saving the Princess because video games but after about 5 minutes you'll have probably hit your first ending and you soon realise it's not about the Princess but rather finding 100 different endings. What first appears to be a platform adventure game is more like a puzzle game where your actions lead to different endings with some rogue lite elements thrown in when certain endings will have a permanent effect on what you can do.

Each ending is accompanied by a funny summary that hits more times than it misses, these also include a fair few references to The Legend of Zelda unsurprisingly as well as a number of others, one reference in particular to a certain indie darling made me smile. It's not all "hey remember that game" though, there's some that are genuinely great in their own right. It does have some frustrating moments when you might occasionally run out of ideas on how to get a different ending but you can unlock hints that'll guide you in the right direction, it's then up to you to combine items in a way to unlock something new, it's also very satisfying when you find one accidentally because you got a bit trigger happy with your sword and stabbed an NPC instead of the enemies.

I don't know if I've done this justice as it's hard to explain why I enjoyed it so much but in short it's fun, amusing and at times quite clever, it'll only set you back a fiver so well worth your time and money.

100 (endings)/100 (endings)
*There's actually 125 endings but 25 are additional post game ones*
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 EmptyFri 9 Jul 2021 - 0:24

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 H2x1_NSwitchDS_PartTimeUFO_image1600w

Part Time UFO is a rare example of a game that I’d recommend to everybody who regularly posts here, you’d all like it a lot. 8/10.

Part Time UFO

I pretty much agree wholeheartedly with Cappa on this. Part Time UFO is a well-made and charming game with an arcadey feel, quite literally because you play as a floating claw machine, but additionally because the levels are short and there’s a “one more go” vibe about each one. Occasionally it was a bit frustrating, though kind of by design because claw machines are a bit floaty and annoying - but I never felt like a level was impossible or that success was out of reach.

Unlockable costumes so you can float around as, for example, a monkey UFO, samurai UFO or a UFO with a little propellor hat are cute (and many offer subtle changes to your controls, like the claw descending faster or the UFO halting more abruptly). There is also some post game content to unlock, though I was quite happy just beating the main game and replaying levels to get better rankings and collect medals. It only took a few hours - Part Time UFO sits neatly next to Gato Roboto when I sort my library by longest play time - but they were pleasant, and like Cappa I would recommend giving it a bash when it’s on sale again. I got it for free with reward points and as freebies go, it was lush.

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 20210510

New Pokemon Snap

I finished this a while ago now and never reviewed it, and honestly it’s not super fresh in my mind any more. What I do remember is that I enjoyed it a lot.

I saw some grumblings online about how you were forced to replay levels more than you would like in order to progress, but I never reeeally felt that - there were a couple of times where I thought “why do I have to do this level again?” but it forced me to try new things (read: fling things in new directions) which unlocked new Pokemon and new behaviours pretty much every time. You can get 4 different types of rankings for each photo you take, which was mostly a good way of rewarding you for replaying levels and trying said new things (the Professor loves it when you twat a Pokemon in the face with an apple).

It looks lovely, there was enough variety in each stage (such as multiple routes and different times of day) for me to contentedly play levels repeatedly, and it evoked the N64 original while also feeling like a new and improved sequel. I played it for 15+ hours, but there are a few Pokemon I still haven’t papped, and most levels’ rankings haven’t been maxed out. Plus, there are online leaderboards and picture sharing and all that kind of caper available, of which I didn't scratch the surface. If I were a ten year old, I would be all over that stuff. As it stands now, I just had a lovely time with a love letter to a game of my childhood, and I like to think there are kids who got just as hooked on Pokemon Snap this time around as I did about twenty years ago.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 EmptyFri 9 Jul 2021 - 23:51

OKAY FINE I'VE WISHLISTED PART TIME UFO Hissy fit

Sky looks lovely.  I should try and get over my irrational dislike of online interaction in any form and give it a go at some point, probably long after everybody's stopped playing.  Reventure meanwhile seems to be mulching together all my least favourite gaming tropes. DAMN YOU!

I will put this one in a spoiler because it just isn't good.  That said...  Remember how I said a while back that Iconoclasts is my favourite 7/10 game?  Well, World's End Club might well be my favourite 5/10 game.

WORLD'S END CLUB:
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 EmptySat 10 Jul 2021 - 21:25

Balladeer wrote:
Reventure meanwhile seems to be mulching together all my least favourite gaming tropes. DAMN YOU!

It's not procedurally generated if that helps? I'm not even sure it fits the bill of rogue lite elements either, that was probably a bad description, it's closer to unlocking a new item in Zelda that lets you go back and explore a few other areas, except instead on an item it's an event in the game world.

Part Time UFO is one of those eShop games that I know I'll love but I always clance past because it feels like it'll be perfect to fill a gap in my gaming time that I never seem to have, think I need to just bite the bullet next time I'm on an eShop splurge.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 EmptySun 11 Jul 2021 - 12:21

I finished Donut County yesterday. I'm pretty sure there's been some chatter about it in the past around these parts, I know Mas is a big fan.

As a game that was included with Gamepass, it's great. It's fairly chill, funny, and with just enough variation between levels to keep it engaging throughout. Even so, I'm not sure how much I would have been happy to actually spend on it. Definitely worth checking out if you ever have the option to do so for free though.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 EmptySun 11 Jul 2021 - 12:40

I've always felt it was a game that I'd pick up if it dropped into my lap but not otherwise.

Treesmurf wrote:
Balladeer wrote:
Reventure meanwhile seems to be mulching together all my least favourite gaming tropes. DAMN YOU!

It's not procedurally generated if that helps? I'm not even sure it fits the bill of rogue lite elements either, that was probably a bad description, it's closer to unlocking a new item in Zelda that lets you go back and explore a few other areas, except instead on an item it's an event in the game world.

Ah okay, that makes a bit more sense and doesn't sound quite so much like it was developed in a lab to aggravate Balla.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 EmptyTue 13 Jul 2021 - 13:42

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 EN2ZMmuWAAAC-WU

I finished Pokemon Sword/Shield’s Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra DLC add-on quests, and I was underwhelmed by them both. For the money, I thought they were brief, uninteresting and not all that unnecessary. I’m not as keen on the Wild Area or on Dynamax battles now that they’re not the brand new thing; I want to see what the series does next, not just retread those ideas for the second and third time. Granted, I accept that they’re mere expansion passes that likely would have complimented a new Crystal/Emerald/Ultra game in past generations. All the same, it feels like the Pokemon series is just floating along with this storytelling, this fetch-quest design and especially with these visuals. It strikes me as being really unambitious stuff.

Of the two, Crown Tundra was the one I preferred. That’s because I thought it had more interesting settings, a better soundtrack and more interesting Pokemon to catch. It felt a little more like a proper adventure too, especially with all those different Legendaries to hunt down. Truth be told, The Isle of Armor left little impression on me, being very basic and predictable altogether. I thought both parts of the Expansion Pass suffered from bad balancing on the whole though.

That’s probably my involvement with Pokemon’s eighth generation done with, until they remake them in about fifteen years time. Dynamaxing and Gigamaxing, the Wild Area, camping and the UK-styled region were all nice enough little changes, but roll on Pokemon Legends, because these series needs a swift boot up the arse. 5/10.
Back to top Go down
neil
Wii U Port
neil

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 EmptyTue 13 Jul 2021 - 14:50

Muss wrote:
I finished Donut County yesterday. I'm pretty sure there's been some chatter about it in the past around these parts, I know Mas is a big fan.

As a game that was included with Gamepass, it's great. It's fairly chill, funny, and with just enough variation between levels to keep it engaging throughout. Even so, I'm not sure how much I would have been happy to actually spend on it. Definitely worth checking out if you ever have the option to do so for free though.

I paid 99p for it in an eShop sale. It's a nice game, nobody in my house has completed it but we've all played and enjoyed it.
Back to top Go down
neil
Wii U Port
neil

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 EmptyTue 13 Jul 2021 - 14:54

I finished Pokemon Sword/Shield’s Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra DLC add-on quests, and I was underwhelmed by them both.

I felt the same. Pokemon is such a weird series for me. If you asked me to assess it, I could list a lot of things that feel dated or aren't good, but I'm totally happy to pour massive hours into the games. Part of that is because my kids like them, but I enjoy them as well.

These add-ons are pretty underbaked though. It's a shame because some characters had potential, like the colourful wannabe guy from Isle of Armor (forgot his name) who was quite funny, but then he just hops out of the story.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 EmptyTue 13 Jul 2021 - 19:59

I will still play all the mainline Pokemon games because my first "proper" games that I got into were Red and Blue, so I have a soft spot for the series. I'm working with kids at the moment and one of them was wearing a Bulbasaur cap, and it turns out that's his uncle's favourite Pokemon (and I suspect the uncle is not far off my age). We also did some wildlife spotting and I managed to get them excited by trying to make comparisons between real life animals and Pokemon inspired by them. It was pretty nice being able to engage with kids through a series I played when I was their age.

Anyway, that's a tangent, you're totally right about the Isle of Armour and the Crown Tundra, the Pokemon games could and should have managed to pull off something that was great, not average.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 EmptyWed 14 Jul 2021 - 17:18

That's a coincidence, because I was just talking to a wee boy wearing a Bulbasaur cap who said that some radge from Dynamic Earth told him that his favourite Pokemon is Jynx, and that horses evolve into giraffes.

~
Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 H2x1_NSwitch_MarioGolfSuperRush_image1600w

I very unexpectedly finished Mario Golf: Super Rush while on my lunch break. I almost spat out my Onken Frufoo, it was so sudden.

I said my bit in the Mario Golf thread a few weeks back, calling the main Golf Adventure mode “an unexciting use of my time” and criticising aspects of the course design as well as some of the fundamental stuff it should have got right. Namely, that’s things like the total lack of replays, the nonsensical in-game tutorials, and the sheer dullness of Speed Golf and how it’s a total misnomer. My feelings remain unchanged, but I’m disappointed how suddenly the Golf Adventure mode ended. It’s clearly Super Rushed.

Don’t be mistaken: it’s a thoroughly competent and playable golf game that I think you should own. Although relatively unevolved from the N64 and GameCube days, Super Rush’s regular golf is perfectly fine. Also, from what little I played of it, the online seemed pretty robust and enjoyable enough. There’s things to like here.

But if you’re ever going to buy this game, I recommend that you hold fire for another twelve months, and perhaps even a sale after that. Right now, I think it’s plainly unfinished. We already know that there’s a lot of (hopefully free) post-game content to be added that’ll boost it’s lifespan, that’s all good. However, I also think the develop needs go back to the drawing board and patch all of its bizarre little flaws, and design a better game. Frankly, I expected to enjoy this more. 6/10.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 EmptyWed 14 Jul 2021 - 21:35

It’s clearly Super Rushed.

Applause Also requesting a snack review of your Onken Frufoo.

Absolutely with y'all on the Season Pass.  I actually liked Crown Tundra less because of the fundamental unfunness that is catching legendaries, but in general it was all really average and a large step down from the main game.  Also: why don't we have overlapping characters, or any hint of an ongoing plot between the two?  Seems daft to me.

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.checkpointgaming.net%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F10%2F02175850%2FECB6991B-B3F2-42DA-B390-FCC0900EC231

I like Creature in the Well.  It's an attractive stylish (60fps) pinball-action game that is challenging in the right way, the way that makes you feel like a badass when you pull it off.  Pretty engaging story too, with some solid writing - but you can ignore them if you just want to spend time on pinball fun.  Good variety of mechanics as well.  It doesn't do a lot wrong, really - maybe some of its dungeons could have had more interesting tilesets, and maybe the story of the Creature could have had a conclusion.  Those are quibbles, though.  I'd recommend this... I just don't think I'll remember it in a year's time.  7/10

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fvulgarknight.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2021%2F07%2FWhat-The-Golf-Snow-joke

Speaking of things I'd recommend, I finished the hefty free update to What The Golf? and both its mini-campaigns.  The snow campaign was a little disappointing, fun but lightweight.  It didn't have the extra stages for each level, the ideas weren't as interesting as the main game, and I don't think I died once.  6/10 for that one.  The sports campaign, though, was prime What-The-Golfery.  Back to bursting with variety and humour, and back with the stages too - this time without the irritating par challenges!  I'd almost say it was better than the main campaign for what it was, if it hadn't had the worst cop-out of a non-ending I can remember playing.  Still, 8/10 for this.

I do just want to remind everyone that this was a free update to a 9/10 truly excellent game that I really think you'd almost all like.  The creativity and variety of what it does taps directly into a vein that feels almost Mario-ish to me; the short levels and humour are more like WarioWare, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's better than Get It Together when that comes out.  Maybe not so much for Mas, because the golf ball doesn't leave a trail of colour behind that's bringing back emotions to the world or something; and I'm not sure what Kriken plays beyond RPGs and VNs.  I'd strongly recommend that the rest of you wishlist it, at least.  I'm pretty sure it's better than Super Rush.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 EmptyThu 15 Jul 2021 - 2:13

I really liked the Pokémon DLC for what it was, but probably would have liked it more with those side quests peppered through the main story - and with that level of competent 3D level design in the quest. I think it bodes well for future projects.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 34 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts
Page 34 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next