Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob

Go down 
+3
Balladeer
gjones
masofdas
7 posters
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob Empty
PostSubject: Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob    Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob EmptyThu 6 May 2021 - 10:44

Nintendo just announced this randomly last night, which guessing because it is in the fiscal report, investors going what's that. Boring bit out of the way this looks rather neat, and the creation stuff for Labo always looked neat as well but having all that cardboard along with price was off-putting where this seems to be £29.99 and seems may have a physical version.

I'm willing to give it a bash and as it seems to have that Nintendo charm, as I've played things like Dreams which is super polished but was a tad confusing where GBG looks like made all ages. I am interested in someone like gJones thoughts on it with kids could this get them into coding etc

Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob    Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob EmptyThu 6 May 2021 - 12:09

Yeah this looks interesting, like a modern version of Scratch. I play a fair bit of Roblox with my daughters online and that allows users to create worlds - which they love as there's limitless possibilities. This looks fairly limited, but teaches the actual science behind a well-structured level. Could see it being used in schools and it's great to see Nintendo tapping into that young userbase, particularly with the Hey Duggee style aesthetic. Is this much different from WarioWare DIY? I never played that.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob    Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob EmptyThu 6 May 2021 - 20:37

Very strong subtitle. Thumbs Up! Looks like another really nice interesting game that I won't actually play because I struggle to direct my imagination at games.  I'm sure people will make incredible stuff with it though.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob    Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob EmptyThu 6 May 2021 - 21:16

gjones wrote:
Yeah this looks interesting, like a modern version of Scratch. I play a fair bit of Roblox with my daughters online and that allows users to create worlds - which they love as there's limitless possibilities. This looks fairly limited, but teaches the actual science behind a well-structured level. Could see it being used in schools and it's great to see Nintendo tapping into that young userbase, particularly with the Hey Duggee style aesthetic.

This is why it caught my eye really - it's the kind of thing I don't know much about but is relevant to the work I do. Maybe I could convince my boss to let me play it during work hours.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob    Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob EmptyFri 7 May 2021 - 18:20

"We can all be the next Jimbob"?. Petition to change all our usernames to New Jimbob, and Jimbob’s username to Past Jimbob.

Agreeing with all this sentiment so far. This looks interesting and it’s cheap enough to be worth buying, but I’ll leave the games development to the more creative sorts. I’ll play anything youse come up with though!
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob    Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob EmptySun 9 May 2021 - 14:49

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
"We can all be the next Jimbob"?. Petition to change all our usernames to New Jimbob, and Jimbob’s username to Past Jimbob.
The original Jimbob. The real Jimbob. The best Jimbob.

Actually it's probably not for me, but it's absolutely for for a lot of other people, especially kids, and you can bet Nintendo will do a great job of making this accessible. Limited, yes, but I think that's probably a good idea for what's essentially a console-specific engine (Dreams is almost infinite in its possibility but no good if you don't also have Dreams), and sometimes having a rigid constraint is good for creativity anyway. I'm looking forward to see what people do, and if it makes one more kid want to program games, then that's fantastic.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob    Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob EmptySun 9 May 2021 - 17:32

Boo, importing maybe?
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob    Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob EmptySun 9 May 2021 - 20:59

I'm tempted to although the difference between game boxes from other regions puts me off slightly, I guess I could deal with it this time.

Anyway game looks cool, I'm very unlikely to make much with it but I always like seeing what people make with this kind of thing, I'm also really digging the aesthetic of it, like a nice mix between the Labo stuff and Mario Maker.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob    Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob EmptySun 9 May 2021 - 21:27

Isn't huge difference anymore with game boxes, well cover with age rating, compared to back in the day.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob    Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob EmptyMon 10 May 2021 - 20:02

I don't like that though Hissy fit that little box being different bothers me.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob    Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob EmptyThu 13 May 2021 - 14:46

Yeah, guess how you have displayed as well if the cover facing you that would annoy me a lot but them lined up it be hard to tell unlike my USA Zelda OoT on Cube as the Cube logo is at the bottom urghh.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob    Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob EmptyWed 16 Jun 2021 - 8:38

Played bit of the demo and been watching some of GameXplain highlight of games made.

Don't think I've got the patience to make stuff but would like to play what people have made, if I see in sale, think I might get.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob    Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob EmptySun 20 Jun 2021 - 20:01

I'm surprised to see how little they've pushed this, not even a mention in the E3 direct, fully swept this under the rug which is a shame because some of th creations I've seen look good. Like Mas I'll probably get it to play others games but Nintendo has done this no favours.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob    Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob Empty

Back to top Go down

Game Builder Garage - We can all be the next Jimbob
Page 1 of 1