We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Switch 2 Speculation Thread

Go down 
+5
The_Jaster
Jimbob
The Cappuccino Kid
Buskalilly
Kriken
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Switch 2 Speculation Thread Empty
PostSubject: Switch 2 Speculation Thread   Switch 2 Speculation Thread EmptyFri 18 Aug 2023 - 13:04

Switch 2 Speculation Thread Nintendo-switch-2-1536x864

(That's obviously not what it'll look like, I just picked a picture off image search.)

The murmurs seem to be that we'll be getting the Switch's successor some time next year, and a healthy core of three/four 2023 games aside, the remaster and remake quotient would seem to support that. Is it too early for rampant speculation? Probably, but that hasn't stopped the press so why should it stop us!?

Some questions to start off:
- When do you reckon it'll release?
- What would you like to see it do?
- What do you reckon it'll actually do, or are Nintendo too Nintendo to predict?
- How much will it cost? Not this, this is dull/depressing.
- Is it too early for Balla to make this thread?
- What will the codename be for the new Switch?

I'll start the ball rolling by saying I reckon we get it Q3 next year. We've seen nothing concrete, so I think seeing anything in the first half is unlikely - but the release schedule post-TotK does feel like it's winding down just a tad, we don't know what the next truly big game is on Switch (sorry Mario Wonder), and so I can't see it holding out for the end of the year or into next. Also, Nintendo's strategy is to keep things very tightly under wraps, then leave at most 6 months between reveal and release unless it's Zelda. (By the same metric they could release lots of great Switch games for 2024. That seems less likely to me.)

And the codename will be 'Sheep', because it's going to come with loads of RAM. Grin

What about y'all?
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Kriken
Layton's Apprentice
Kriken

PostSubject: Re: Switch 2 Speculation Thread   Switch 2 Speculation Thread EmptyFri 18 Aug 2023 - 13:50

I expect it to come out next year or the year after, so it's defo not too early to speculate.

I mostly want them to play it safe. Same form factor but more powerful, like they've generally done with their handhelds. If it could roughly be as powerful as PS4 that would be nice, though realistically it's going to be a mix of worse in some ways and better in others with the benefit of more modern architecture.

Battery life and cost will be a concern though so I don't mind them not going overboard. I'd also be okay with them sticking with a 720p screen or only slightly higher than that. Some people think it should definitely be an OLED screen but I could take or leave that - the standard Switch screen is pretty good as it is.

I want full backwards compatibility with Switch games so my library can go right over. This is actually not a given due to some niche tech reasons (look up MVG's video on it if you're interested).

Also are you seriously saying Mario Wonder isn't a truly big Nintendo game? It obviously does not match the production and I suppose 'prestige' of big 3D Zelda games, but 2D Mario games are very significant titles and are massive sellers. They sell more than 3D Mario games. NSMB and NSMB Wii sold 30 million copies each, on par with Botw and far ahead of most Zelda games. NSMB U Deluxe is in the top 10 best selling Switch games and it's just a re-release.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Switch 2 Speculation Thread   Switch 2 Speculation Thread EmptySat 19 Aug 2023 - 10:29

Balladeer wrote:
- When do you reckon it'll release?
After all the Angels have been defeated, as prophecised in the Dead Sea Scrolls.
Quote :
- What would you like to see it do?
Give me godlike powers to reshape humanity in my image.
Quote :
- What do you reckon it'll actually do, or are Nintendo too Nintendo to predict?
Give my son Godlike powers, allowing him to work through his emotional baggage and awake to a world remade not physcially, but spiritually.
Quote :
How much will it cost?
My wife.
Quote :
Is it too early for Balla to make this thread?
Yes, but now that you've started nothing can stop you.
Quote :
What will the codename be for the new Switch?  
New Electronic Recreation deVice.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Switch 2 Speculation Thread   Switch 2 Speculation Thread EmptyMon 21 Aug 2023 - 19:14

As much as I’d love for Nintendo to completely revolutionise gaming and the concept of it once again, a more powerful, a technically enhanced and a backwards-compatible Super Switch that’s fit for the rest of the 2020s would suit me just grand the end of the day. I think future-proofing it is the most important thing. I would be well disappointed if it weren’t comparably powerful enough to the other systems of the now and near-future. I definitely don’t want to see a repeat of the Wii U, where from basically the get-go games and projects were cancelled near-daily because the hardware was utter keech. I’d rather not buy a console that needs revised and upgraded every couple of years either.

To me it’s inconceivable that it won’t be another hybrid system, it’s just been too good and too successful an idea for them to go back to having a console that’s TV or handheld only. I don’t think anything else is a given. I’d prefer an OLED screen and 4K output but all the current rumour and innuendo suggests that I shouldn’t hold my breath for that.

I’d hope it releases at a competitive and compelling price point. For what it was back in the day the Wii was a must-buy at £179, but the original 3DS was madly overpriced at £229 and the Wii U was offputtingly over expensive at £299. I remember balking at the £279 price point for the Switch when it was confirmed at the start of 2017, pre-release I thought it was a totally scadge. I and over a hundred million others were proved wrong by that. I don’t know what the sweet spot is for a Switch successor in 2024; hopefully less than a PS5 and Xbox Series X? I’m already saving up for it either way.

The system’s codename should be ‘Mario Wonder is a big game, don’t talk mince’.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Switch 2 Speculation Thread   Switch 2 Speculation Thread EmptyFri 25 Aug 2023 - 14:49

Kriken wrote:
Mario Wonder ... obviously does not match the production and I suppose 'prestige' of big 3D Zelda games

Kriken, with a bit of creative editing, nails it.

I feel like I'm betraying my Nintendo Superfan Motion+ and Wii U Lover Who's Also Interested In the Playdate heritage by agreeing with Kriken and Cappa as to what they want for the new Switch.  The Switch was great, I just want a beefier one.  I think that's probably the route they'll go down as well, obviously to some extent it's a fool's errand to try and predict Nintendo but I reckon Furukawa might be a bit more 'Apple' in his approach to reiterations than Iwata was.  Agreed with Kriken about the screens too, OLED would be nice but I'm not champing at the bit for it, and I don't care for 4k.

Cost is dull but I would assume they won't go full Wii U with the pricing.  The slight problem is the supply of components issue but this is dull so.

Backcompat is an absolute must, surely?  I haven't watched that video Kriken recommends (and probably won't, I don't watch much YouTube in general unless it's making me laugh) but even the possibility of it not happening makes me shudder.  We should definitely be able to carry our entire eShop libraries over, and I'd be shocked and annoyed if we couldn't.

If we're shooting for the moon, not a particularly distant moon but what feels like a moon nonetheless, I'd very much like Switch 2 to have more charm in its interface and shop than the relatively sterile Switch 1, but without the UI becoming treacle-slow.  I reckon the Switch 1 has to be the least characterful Nintendo machine I've owned.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Switch 2 Speculation Thread   Switch 2 Speculation Thread EmptySat 26 Aug 2023 - 10:56

Balladeer wrote:
Backcompat

That really better not be a word people are using
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Switch 2 Speculation Thread   Switch 2 Speculation Thread EmptySat 26 Aug 2023 - 13:05

I've seen it used elsewhere. Admittedly I was the one using it.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Switch 2 Speculation Thread   Switch 2 Speculation Thread EmptyTue 29 Aug 2023 - 12:01

Any time I see the word "backcompat" all I can think of is how it sounds like a Jamaican with a speech impediment.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Switch 2 Speculation Thread   Switch 2 Speculation Thread EmptyMon 12 Feb 2024 - 18:28

There's lots of noise coming out about the Switch’s successor, specifically regarding its internal design, processing power and compatibility.

https://metro.co.uk/2024/02/12/nintendo-switch-2-can-upgrade-older-games-backwards-compatibility-20262985/

It all sounds good so far. Perhaps the most eye-catching bit of news is that the hardware reveal is rumoured to be taking place next month...
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Switch 2 Speculation Thread   Switch 2 Speculation Thread EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024 - 12:27

A friend, relative or coworker is showing me a clickbait story and asking me to confirm at least weekly at this point, so I hope they clarify soon.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Switch 2 Speculation Thread   Switch 2 Speculation Thread EmptyFri 16 Feb 2024 - 23:01

The latest is that it's been moved back to Q1 2025, possibly to ensure a better launch line-up. While I think that's a creditable aim, this year is risking being a bit of a shambles if so. Who fancies a repeat of the Wii U's 2016!?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Switch 2 Speculation Thread   Switch 2 Speculation Thread EmptySat 17 Feb 2024 - 12:40

I don't know how something that hasn't even been announced can be delayed.

Then I've read some of these rumours and all it seems to me is devs are working on games to come out in Q1 2025, that doesn't mean the Switch 2 couldn't come out in November 2024 as launch window be like 6 months which would include Q1 2025.

Now this more general gaming here but if no Switch 2 this year and Nintendo's output is mostly remasters/remakes this year to tick over to 2025, I can barely see me turning on my Switch. Then just had PlayStation fiscal report of no major 1st party games e.g. God of War (not NO first party like some sites reporting and now had rumours of a new Astro) along with decline and same even with Xbox why four games going elsewhere though they have 10 new things planned this year (includes Diablo IV Expansion) and some sort of hardware.

Add in all the job losses think 2024 could be a rough year for gaming, yes I know I just posted saying 2024 looks better than 2023 for me but that's me as I know what I like which is Final Fantasy Rebirth, Open Roads, Hellblade II etc

Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Switch 2 Speculation Thread   Switch 2 Speculation Thread EmptyMon 19 Feb 2024 - 19:36

Balladeer wrote:
The latest is that it's been moved back to Q1 2025, possibly to ensure a better launch line-up.  While I think that's a creditable aim, this year is risking being a bit of a shambles if so.  Who fancies a repeat of the Wii U's 2016!?

I would take a repeat of the Wii U’s 2016 if it meant that the following year was a repeat of the Switch’s 2017. It was a boring Nintendo gamer existence at the time but looking back, the wait for anything to happen was well worthwhile.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Switch 2 Speculation Thread   Switch 2 Speculation Thread EmptyMon 19 Feb 2024 - 20:17

Gosh that's a quandary. 2017 was definitely the best year in Nintendo gaming, and therefore gaming, ever and I won't read a word saying otherwise. But 2016 was a dire time, and that was with the 3DS propping up the ailing Wii U semi-adequately. Would I take that trade-off? I don't know, I really don't. Thankfully I don't think things will get that dire, even if we're eating ports for a while.

masofdas wrote:
I don't know how something that hasn't even been announced can be delayed.

Well, no. But with the Switch seven years old in a fortnight, it feels like it's been delayed for maybe a year already.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Switch 2 Speculation Thread   Switch 2 Speculation Thread EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024 - 0:51

This year has a Princess Peach game so I don't know what the fuck you're on about.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Switch 2 Speculation Thread   Switch 2 Speculation Thread EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024 - 14:05

Yeah, I'm hoping this partner showcase tomorrow is going to juice up the release schedule as it's looking pretty sparse right now.

To be fair, like Mas said it's sparse across all fronts right now. I'm only really looking forwards to FFVII: Rebirth and other than that... Confused
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Switch 2 Speculation Thread   Switch 2 Speculation Thread EmptyThu 22 Feb 2024 - 19:49

About that, Jay... Shifty
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Switch 2 Speculation Thread   Switch 2 Speculation Thread EmptyFri 23 Feb 2024 - 16:12

Not only was the Direct on Wednesday instead of Thursday, I can't say it's revolutionised the release schedule either... Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Switch 2 Speculation Thread   Switch 2 Speculation Thread EmptySat 24 Feb 2024 - 7:12

There were a couple of things in there to tide me over.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Switch 2 Speculation Thread   Switch 2 Speculation Thread EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024 - 20:38

For those who don't Twitter or Discord much these days, Jay and I are recording a podcast on Friday about Switch 2 speculation and what we both want to see. If you have any questions about the Switch 2 (preferably) to ask us, fire away!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Switch 2 Speculation Thread   Switch 2 Speculation Thread EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024 - 6:39

You're a cosmic imp who lives for chaos and are tasked with making one stupid decision that will ruin Nintendo's good thing they've got going. How do you mess up Switch 2?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Switch 2 Speculation Thread   Switch 2 Speculation Thread EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024 - 9:46

Another flaw with the mobile site: it doesn't have the Thanks button. DAMN YOU! Thanks though! Good question. Smile
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Switch 2 Speculation Thread   Switch 2 Speculation Thread EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024 - 12:08

I don't think the forum has thanks any more at all? That lasted like a week.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Switch 2 Speculation Thread   Switch 2 Speculation Thread EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024 - 12:09

If you were a character in Switch 2 game Xenoblade 4, what would you say instead of "I'm feeling full of beans" or "Now It's Reyn Time"
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Switch 2 Speculation Thread   Switch 2 Speculation Thread EmptyWed 28 Feb 2024 - 16:03

Buskalilly wrote:
I don't think the forum has thanks any more at all? That lasted like a week.

You have been thanksed!

Andy's question will also make it onto the list but I can only thanks one person per thread. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Switch 2 Speculation Thread   Switch 2 Speculation Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Switch 2 Speculation Thread
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next