Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

General 'Phone Chat

Go down 
+8
The_Jaster
Admin
JayMoyles
The Cappuccino Kid
ZeroJones
fronkhead
shanks
Balladeer
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

General 'Phone Chat - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General 'Phone Chat   General 'Phone Chat - Page 2 EmptySun 30 Mar 2014 - 14:46

I changed ages ago Fronk, I got a S4 Black Edition in the end.
Back to top Go down
Axis1500
Vote Thread
Axis1500

PostSubject: Re: General 'Phone Chat   General 'Phone Chat - Page 2 EmptySun 30 Mar 2014 - 21:28

So the Galaxy S5 is arriving here in April. Anyone getting one? I'm tempted. I still really like my S3 and the S5's new photography features sound great.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: General 'Phone Chat   General 'Phone Chat - Page 2 EmptySun 30 Mar 2014 - 22:41

Axis1500 wrote:
So the Galaxy S5 is arriving here in April. Anyone getting one? I'm tempted. I still really like my S3 and the S5's new photography features sound great.

Not really, I think those used to Samsung's hardware and user interface will love it (especially so since you're on the Galaxy S3, as it's really an incremental upgrade to the S4), though.

My problem is I get bored of phones and operating systems too quickly, so I'm always looking for something new rather than merely upgraded hardware. I think I'll eventually settle back to something on iOS, though.
Back to top Go down
Axis1500
Vote Thread
Axis1500

PostSubject: Re: General 'Phone Chat   General 'Phone Chat - Page 2 EmptyMon 31 Mar 2014 - 0:55

That's the dilemma I'm facing. Part of me wants to try something different this time round.
Back to top Go down
Cube
Garreg Mach Geography Teacher

PostSubject: Re: General 'Phone Chat   General 'Phone Chat - Page 2 EmptyMon 31 Mar 2014 - 9:30

fronkhead wrote:
My problem is I get bored of phones and operating systems too quickly, so I'm always looking for something new rather than merely upgraded hardware. I think I'll eventually settle back to something on iOS, though.

Get an Android without too much fluff (like a Nexus phone or Motorola). Then you can change the OS quite a bit through apps. For example Swapps makes an app menu that appears when you swipe from the side. It significantly changes the feel of the phone. There are also plenty of keyboards, launchers and other stuff (like Dashclock, which is a very versatile lockscreen widget).

Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: General 'Phone Chat   General 'Phone Chat - Page 2 EmptyMon 31 Mar 2014 - 15:50

Edit: Ah, I get what you mean -- I can customise the OS when I get bored. That's a fair point actually, but it kind of goes against what I like in an OS so it's probably not for me (explained by my issues below). I think Sailfish is the on OS I haven't tried yet (Tizen just looks like Touchwiz again so I'm not interested) but the Jolla is too expensive and doesn't seem worth the money. Bare in mind my complaints below are just complaints really, there's a lot I like about stock Android 4.4, and the additions Motorola put on top for the Moto X.

Cube wrote:
fronkhead wrote:

Get an Android without too much fluff (like a Nexus phone or Motorola). Then you can change the OS quite a bit through apps. For example Swapps makes an app menu that appears when you swipe from the side. It significantly changes the feel of the phone. There are also plenty of keyboards, launchers and other stuff (like Dashclock, which is a very versatile lockscreen widget).

I quite like my Moto X but Android has too many limitations to be my next phone. The region locking is ridiculous (you can only access the Japanese app store if Google determines that your location is in Japan, AND yo using a JP Google account), and the permissions for apps still can't be altered, so privacy is clearly an issue. Ironically, most the things Linux stands for (freedom and openness) don't apply to Android, since its a pretty barebones experience without the closed source Google components and services on top (AOSP offers the bare minimum and Google dropped the open source apps for far better closed source equivalents long ago), and you're part of Google's mass data collection program (though that doesn't bother me much, but it bothers many).

Thanks for the heads up on keyboard, Google keyboard's awful. I'm still disappointed that there's no keyboard like other OSes that changes the hitboxes over time depending on where you type.

The inconsistent user experience with Android is probably my biggest issue, since it makes me less productive and I have to keep moving between different UI designs. My second biggest issue pertains to how the apps are written in Java and have to be compiled through a runtime, resulting in input lag right down to the software keyboard (Which is never ideal and certainly noticeable as I bash this message out on my Moto X) and just worse performance across the board app-for-app compared to every other platform out there.

I can live with it all, but I won't be getting another Android device until the above is sorted out or the new Java runtime that replaces Dalvik fixes the above.

I'm also not a huge fan of customisation since it's costly time wise and with random developers compiling bits of the OS you again lead to the inconsistency problem. Some people love the customisation aspect though so more power to them, but Android draws parallels with Windows in this respect.
Back to top Go down
Axis1500
Vote Thread
Axis1500

PostSubject: Re: General 'Phone Chat   General 'Phone Chat - Page 2 EmptyMon 27 Oct 2014 - 21:30

So, in the end, I threw a curve ball and decided on an iPad - which isn't a phone at all.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: General 'Phone Chat   General 'Phone Chat - Page 2 EmptySat 24 Oct 2015 - 15:18

I can get a new phone soon but I don't know what to get, I'm a droid guy and from being in the store everyone is saying Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge but I've had a S2, S3 and currently a S4 that I kinda want to try something else.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General 'Phone Chat   General 'Phone Chat - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

General 'Phone Chat
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2