We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names

Go down 
+14
Rum
Treesmurf
shanks
The Cappuccino Kid
Axis1500
masofdas
beemoh
fronkhead
Balladeer
Admin
ZeroJones
Buskalilly
Athrun888
Silver light
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 9 EmptyThu 6 Feb 2014 - 20:03

I'm on chapter 8...erm, yeah. You probably didn't expect me to return saying that.

(It's not as bad as I feared, as Balladeer mentioned, chapter 6 actually had far better pacing compared with chapter 5 alongside constant hinting about the alternate ending, which I decided to get, which kept things fresh). And chapters 7 and 8 continue to do the same thing. It's not perfect, and it's certainly still repetition, but it's not as bad as chapter 5 was and thus I've actually had motivation to continue on with this. Bravo.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 9 EmptyThu 6 Feb 2014 - 20:06

Laughing No. And you still haven't explained the graph. But thanks for helping me during the final boss!

Yes, I've finished this. Final boss was ****-easy - I think I overlevelled massively after seeing Athrun's despair. And damn you Squeenix for making me want to purchase the sequel! DAMN YOU! 
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 9 EmptyThu 6 Feb 2014 - 20:15

Balladeer wrote:
Laughing No.  And you still haven't explained the graph.  But thanks for helping me during the final boss!

Yes, I've finished this.  Final boss was ****-easy - I think I overlevelled massively after seeing Athrun's despair.  And damn you Squeenix for making me want to purchase the sequel! DAMN YOU! 

Bah, my plan to continue playing in shame was foiled by updating my cloud save! But you're welcome.

I'm ever so close to the finale but I'm currently getting 'pwned' by the combination of the Salve Maker, Pudding/Praline, Barbarossa and that Ninja person in chapter 8.

As for the graph, maybe another time Winky Face
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 9 EmptyThu 6 Feb 2014 - 20:27

Eh, I gave up on the side-quests after chapter 5. Obliterate/Growth Egg grinding for the victory!
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 9 EmptySun 16 Feb 2014 - 18:20

Because this is the sort of thing The Internet does on a regular basis
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 9 EmptySun 16 Feb 2014 - 18:53

And Airy is instantly 1000x less irritating.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 9 EmptyTue 18 Feb 2014 - 9:35

The boss of the fire temple (yes I'm only on Chapter 3) keeps handing me my bum.

Sad

EDIT: NEVER MIND I BEAT HIM. Except Ringabel didn't receive any of the exp or anything because he fainted because he always faints because he's shit and I hate him and he's now fallen two levels behind Agnes and Edea because they don't faint all the time.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 9 EmptyTue 18 Feb 2014 - 19:20

If you can be bothered to level up a Black Mage, the MDef. piercing effect makes things much easier.

And now I like the characters and story slightly less.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 9 EmptyTue 18 Feb 2014 - 22:00

I forgot to post in this thread to say that I finished this last Wednesday. Agreed to some extent with Balladeer on the final boss. I found it was difficult but ultimately fairly repetitive until the final stretch, you could pretty much get by using the same tactic throughout. That's one problem I found with the game overall, while the classes give you a lot of flexibility between battles, you don't get much to play around with in battle really compared with a non-class focused Final Fantasy

I actually thought the penultimate final boss was a lot harder because of how it would brave, weaken you to magic and then attack. I must admit I had to summon some friends to help out (thanks Balladeer!).

Otherwise I quite enjoyed the final stretch of the game, and the Bravely Second teaser was expertly executed, too. Quite excited about it, though I'm still wary over the game's emphasis on the microtransactions-aided battle mechanic added into For The Sequel.

I also noticed one of Norende's bosses is one of the Ba'al enemies from Bravely Second, where the battle also plays the sequel's theme tune in the background.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 9 EmptyWed 19 Feb 2014 - 8:15

Good going Fronky! Were you playing on hard or normal? And I will defend the job system to the end, apart from the cheap Hasten World/High Jump shenanigans.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 9 EmptyWed 19 Feb 2014 - 9:28

Took my first steps with the game last night. It's very pretty and some of the voice acting reminded me of Tales Of The Abyss.

Message ends.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 9 EmptySat 22 Feb 2014 - 23:36

I'll just leave this here for Balladeer... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV0ZtSDvr9Q

As for the question, I was only playing on normal. I don't think I'd be able to stomach playing on hard. And I'd hate to imagine what the three difficulties are like on hard mode new game plus.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 9 EmptySat 5 Apr 2014 - 9:04

So seeing all the talk of this on the Net, makes me really want to play it.

On one podcast I saw, they said the end happens and it just repeats and you can get to the end in about 20 hrs.

Is this right. If it can be done it that sort of time, I think I might pop this to the 3DS.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 9 EmptySat 5 Apr 2014 - 9:49

20h? Er... Even getting to the "easy" ending, it would have taken me about 60. Dunno where they got 20 from. Confused 
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 9 EmptySat 5 Apr 2014 - 9:56

That's the time two of them gotten to the ending and they found it just repeated (is that all it does or there a actual end) but then another guy on there (all 4 has/were playing it) said he was on 20hr's and just got or getting the earth crystal.

Yeah looking on HLTB it's about 58hrs to finish it.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 9 EmptySun 20 Apr 2014 - 15:28

Just got to Chapter 5. Now I'm understanding what fronk and Balla were talking about months ago. This is after I had a go at
Spoiler:
at the end of Chapter 4 but gave up because
Spoiler:
I can't decide if I want to do the sidequests that have popped up - if I don't, I think I'm going to be spectacularly underlevelled (because I feel like I often am - I tire of grinding pretty quickly), but I keep losing and it's very frustrating.

Out of curiosity, what did you guys use in your teams? Did you have a core set of jobs that you had your characters use most of the time? Because at the moment I have:

Tiz: Spell Fencer (ability: Piracy)
Agnes: White Mage (ability: Spiritmaster, Black Mage or Summoner)
Edea: Valkyrie (ability: Templar)
Ringabel: Thief (ability: Performer)

I feel like I should mix it up more - I guess that's kind of the point of the job classes - but that takes so much eefffooorrrrttt.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 9 EmptySun 20 Apr 2014 - 15:39

The chapter 5 sub-quests are rubbish. They don't even give you EXP. Leave 'em. Well, do the one you left, otherwise you won't get his job (yes you still need to beat the six sub-bosses) - leave the rest of 'em.

As for jobs, I flitted about between several. Some of my favourite were Swordmaster with holy skills, Spiritmaster with white magic (better than the other way around), Arcanist with black magic, and ninja/valkyrie combo. Couldn't be bothered with the performer for the most part: I'm an "all guns blazing" type, apart from when I'm abusing that ninja dodge ability.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 9 EmptySun 20 Apr 2014 - 15:51

To be honest I'm really just trying to get to the point where I can use level 6 White Magic. Agnes only has one more level to go until she can do that. Then I can swap it around and level her up as a Spiritmaster.

I quite like Tiz's Spell Fencer/Pirate combo (definitely an all-guns-blazing combination) - I think I will swap them round though, because I've gotten Tiz to the point where he can use level 6 black magic already, and the pirate is a pretty ace class.

Can't decide what I should be doing with Tiz though. Thief/Performer works quite well because the thief's speed means he can almost always buff the party at the beginning of every round. And Edea works well as a Valkyrie but I can't decide what her other class should be.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 9 EmptySun 20 Apr 2014 - 15:54

Why does everyone make the reticent little girl into a white mage? That's playing up to the cliché! Agnès' first job in my game was Monk, then all the swordsy jobs as soon as I unlocked them.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 9 EmptySun 20 Apr 2014 - 15:58

I can't remember if I had a reason. You get the monk and white mage asterisks when you still only have Tiz and Agnes, don't you? Maybe I just played into the developers' hands...
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 9 EmptyMon 21 Apr 2014 - 14:57

I made agnes a white mage because it fit her personality myself, I usually stuck with classes that the personalities matched throughout the game. Tiz was an offensively geared mage, agnes provided support being a white mage with a performing subclass (I eventually made her a performer with a merchant ability with tiz being a duel mage), ringabel was a ninja whose second class I forget and edea was a knight templar.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 9 EmptyTue 22 Apr 2014 - 22:50

So I've spent a lot of time on this over the past few days, and have gotten to this point:

MAJOR spoilers for anyone who doesn't know the ending(s) of the game and the villains etc etc:

Longest spoiler tag I've ever written, that's for damn sure.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 9 EmptyTue 22 Apr 2014 - 23:18

Rum Rapture wrote:
So I've spent a lot of time on this over the past few days, and have gotten to this point:

MAJOR spoilers for anyone who doesn't know the ending(s) of the game and the villains etc etc:

Longest spoiler tag I've ever written, that's for damn sure.

Spoiler if you haven't reached chapter 5 yet:
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 9 EmptyTue 22 Apr 2014 - 23:39

Spoilers for Chapter 6 onwards:
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 9 EmptyWed 23 Apr 2014 - 13:53

Yep, get that new side-quest, it's new. Also, it all depends on what you find "fun", doesn't it? I honestly found unlocking all the job abilities "fun" for the most part. The game has a heck of a lot of flaws, though, and it doesn't deserve more than 8/10 by almost any metric.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names   Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

Bravely Default - Or, Square Enix still loves stupid names
Page 9 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next