We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Game Boy Thread

Go down 
+5
The_Jaster
shanks
masofdas
Balladeer
Admin
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

The Game Boy Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Game Boy Thread   The Game Boy Thread EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 11:08

I swear to goodness we had a Game Boy thread. Must've been on NGamer Forum. *traces the line of the cross*

Anyone picked their Game Boy up recently? I pulled mine out of its box a while back (a fairly regular thing for me), and was dismayed to discover that the bleddy thing has turned yeller:

The Game Boy Thread Img_2010
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Game Boy Thread   The Game Boy Thread EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 11:16

Going back to Mas' console vote thread, I said the following about the Game Boy(s):

Balladeer wrote:
Game Boy: The console that started it all. I had a massive red brick of an original that ate up batteries at a rate of knots. It gets points for nostalgia more than anything, but in the modern day it's a better blunt instrument than a console.
Game Boy Colo(u)r: Just another version of the Game Boy. It displayed colours and used fewer batteries, however, making Pokémon that much more vibrant. Reason enough to put it up over its predecessor.

I still stand by that. Fond memories, of course: Super Mario Land remains my first proper game, and I did like the level themes. But in the era of the 3DS, it's aged beyond belief.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Game Boy Thread   The Game Boy Thread EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 11:21

I still love Super Mario Land. Indeed, it's the game currently lodged in the back of the console. For me, it's the console for above-average licensed platformers, when such a phenomenon was relatively rife.

Maybe it's because I'm also a Game Gear owner, but I don't recall it being that much of a battery muncher really.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Game Boy Thread   The Game Boy Thread EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 11:41

We do have thread

Would you say the New 3DS is a bit like the Gameboy Color then Balla

I was always gameboy over gamegear even though I was a SEGA kid, I don't know why.

The only gameboy I've got is my Zelda GBASP.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Game Boy Thread   The Game Boy Thread EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 11:46

Bugger! Apologies to Jaster. I ran a search, but I searched for "Game Boy", not "Gameboy".

I remember seeing the Manchester United GB in Toys 'R' Us as a kid. I wish I'd been able to afford to pick one up, as apparently they're worth a mint now:

The Game Boy Thread Screenshot_49329_thumb_wide610

The mascot looks like a really naff tattoo.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Game Boy Thread   The Game Boy Thread EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 12:01

I know but can I still destroy it.
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: The Game Boy Thread   The Game Boy Thread EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 12:18

I have no idea where my color is.. Lost it in the move a few months ago.. I know where my GBASP is though
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Game Boy Thread   The Game Boy Thread EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 14:07

My Game Boy Color is usually my go-to system for Game Boy games, though I inherited a Game Boy Pocket a couple of years back and I haven't really seen what that screen's capable of yet.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The Game Boy Thread   The Game Boy Thread EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 20:43

Heyyyy...........

Nah it's OK it didn't get many posts so perhaps we could even merge the two together like peanut butter & chocolate.........MMmmmmmmmmmmm Peanut butter & chocolate *drools*

---

Shame to hear your game boy has turned "yeller" this is pretty much unavoidable due to UV light, heat & oxygen exposure to the chemicals in the plastics Nintendo used.

Here's some tips I found that may help to prevent it:

Prevention Methods:

- Apply a coat of UV protectant to all plastic surfaces on your console or computer.

- Keep your most prized collector pieces out of rooms with fluorescent lighting.

- Keep your units away from windows and sunlight because, like the fluorescent lighting, the UV exposure will drastically hasten their discoloration. Even indirect sunlight can do damage over time.

- Avoid placing your unit next to a heat source such as a radiator, air duct, or fireplace. Or in the fire.

- Keep your consoles and computers out of the attic. The repetitive, long-term cycles of extreme heat and extreme cool in most attics drastically speeds the degradation and breakdown of all plastics and rubbers. The heat does most of the damage, though.

- Do not keep your machines in a room where people smoke tobacco (wacky or otherwise). This doesn't directly relate to internal chemical yellowing, but it can cause your console or computer to yellow for other reasons!

- Try not to breathe too heavily upon your console's exterior.
Ok — this one's a joke.

- For the ultimate in protection, seal your unit in a lead-lined, temperature-controlled, evacuated vault away from any radiation, visible or otherwise. But hey, what fun is that?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Game Boy Thread   The Game Boy Thread EmptyTue 6 Jan 2015 - 22:06

The weird thing about all this is that my Game Boy spends all the time it's not been played simply sat in its original store packaging on my shelf, which isn't in an excessively warm environment. Weird! But slightly less distressing than seeing how my SNES had yellowed the last time I pulled it out of the cupboard. It looked like somebody had peed on it.

~~~~~

I'm hoping to dig Kid Dracula out some time soon, I think. Picked that up either last year or the year before and haven't given it much of a look.

The Game Boy Thread Kid_dracula_wakeUp
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: The Game Boy Thread   The Game Boy Thread EmptyWed 7 Jan 2015 - 7:39

The Game Boy was more of my youngest brother's thing than mine - "Why play on a tiny screen when you can play on the TV?", thought I - but I regret that now. Having said that, I have fond memories of Link's Awakening and playing though the Mario Land titles, with the third one always my favourite. Oh, and, Tetris. The behemoth that is Tetris.

Anyway, the first GB I owned was an ASP (can I say it like that? Well, I have, so, er, there), which is still kicking around somewhere. Most of my GB playing these days does come through the 3DS VC, though. Must get back into Kid Icarus and Metroid...
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Game Boy Thread   The Game Boy Thread EmptyWed 7 Jan 2015 - 11:56

I thought Metroid GB was a bit rubbish because everywhere looked the same. Didn't give it much of a chance, so that was a pretty snap judgement.

I still regret picking my console up with Mario and Yoshi instead of Mega Man.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: The Game Boy Thread   The Game Boy Thread EmptyWed 7 Jan 2015 - 20:35

Stu_the_great wrote:
Bugger! Apologies to Jaster. I ran a search, but I searched for "Game Boy", not "Gameboy".

I remember seeing the Manchester United GB in Toys 'R' Us as a kid. I wish I'd been able to afford to pick one up, as apparently they're worth a mint now:

The Game Boy Thread Screenshot_49329_thumb_wide610

The mascot looks like a really naff tattoo.

KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: The Game Boy Thread   The Game Boy Thread EmptyThu 8 Jan 2015 - 7:20

Stu_the_great wrote:
I thought Metroid GB was a bit rubbish because everywhere looked the same. Didn't give it much of a chance, so that was a pretty snap judgement.

I still regret picking my console up with Mario and Yoshi instead of Mega Man.

Everywhere does look the same, so far! It's hard to tell where I am and, worse, where I need to go. More on this story when I have it... and Mario and Yoshi?! That's an awful game. I remember controversially giving it 1/5 for 3DS Tribe and the first comment was some really riled person that I'd dared deride it.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Game Boy Thread   The Game Boy Thread EmptyThu 8 Jan 2015 - 10:11

ZeroJones wrote:
Everywhere does look the same, so far! It's hard to tell where I am and, worse, where I need to go. More on this story when I have it... and Mario and Yoshi?! That's an awful game. I remember controversially giving it 1/5 for 3DS Tribe and the first comment was some really riled person that I'd dared deride it.

You were right to deride it. It's shite! To be fair, though, I was nine, it had Mario on the box, and it was one of two choices for the bundle game with my console (I got my GB when they stripped the pack-in game out. No Tetris! Yay!)
Back to top Go down
Solve My Maze
Wii U Port
Solve My Maze

PostSubject: Re: The Game Boy Thread   The Game Boy Thread EmptyThu 8 Jan 2015 - 21:30

ZeroJones wrote:

Christ that takes me back. That must be coming up for four years or so that 3DS Tribe went live.
Back on topic my first foray into owning one was the GameBoy Colour. I can't remember how much it ate batteries, although I did end up getting a battery pack that also let you play it direct from the mains which instantly made it significance less portable. As an aside the first time battery pack I bought has a cable that was devoid of any insulation. Shocking, I know...

Still though, there was nothing quite like firing up Wario Land 2 on the GBC (it was the game I got with it) for the first time. It just played so well and kept me hooked for hours. Donkey Kong Country was actually a really decent port too for the GBC, and of course there was Pokemon Blue which spent a huge amount of time in the GBC, as did Yellow and Gold.

I also happened to have one of these which came in especially handy for the Pokemon games especially when it came to getting Mew and Celebi.The Game Boy Thread Maxresdefault
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Game Boy Thread   The Game Boy Thread EmptyThu 8 Jan 2015 - 23:43

Solve My Maze wrote:
The Game Boy Thread Maxresdefault

I had an Xploder too! Funny story: used it for ages to get all my friends Celebi and Mew, until one time it fucked up and erased my friend's entire game. He was not amused. Laughing
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The Game Boy Thread   The Game Boy Thread EmptyFri 9 Jan 2015 - 1:01

Are you sure you want to erase all your data?

Options: >yes yes

Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: The Game Boy Thread   The Game Boy Thread EmptyFri 9 Jan 2015 - 7:23

@Stu - did you get Tetris by other means? If you said "Game Boy" I bet most people would reply "Tetris".

@Solve - poor 3DS Tribe. I did enjoy writing for it a lot but it took up a lot of time that became needed for other things. V. sad when it went.

@Jaster - nooooooooooooooooo! I've never dabbled with cheat devices, mostly because I quite like my save data intact.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Game Boy Thread   The Game Boy Thread EmptyFri 9 Jan 2015 - 8:24

Anyone remember this?

The Game Boy Thread 46312_front

Of course y'all don't. It was my fourth Game Boy games, after SMLs 1&2 and DKC2. It was, to put it politely, mince.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Game Boy Thread   The Game Boy Thread EmptyFri 9 Jan 2015 - 9:07

This poses the question, had you actually ever seen anything like them?
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Game Boy Thread   The Game Boy Thread EmptyFri 9 Jan 2015 - 9:20

Seeing as it was my fourth GB game, I can honestly say: no I had not.

Last edited by Balladeer on Fri 9 Jan 2015 - 11:23; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Game Boy Thread   The Game Boy Thread EmptyFri 9 Jan 2015 - 10:14

ZeroJones wrote:
@Stu - did you get Tetris by other means? If you said "Game Boy" I bet most people would reply "Tetris".

Many, many years later I picked up a battered old copy from an import shop. I used to borrow the game off a friend, though. Not owning a copy was a good thing, though: I would've lost my Game Boy to my mum otherwise.

@Balla: But it looks so good! Nah nah! I remember the boxart, but that's it.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: The Game Boy Thread   The Game Boy Thread EmptySat 10 Jan 2015 - 6:49

Stu_the_great wrote:
Many, many years later I picked up a battered old copy from an import shop. I used to borrow the game off a friend, though. Not owning a copy was a good thing, though: I would've lost my Game Boy to my mum otherwise.

Thank goodness! A Game Boy owner without Tetris?! Unthinkable!

And isn't it weird how parents love their puzzle games? My Mum was addicted to both Tetris and Dr. Mario. We had the SNES game with them both on and Dr. Mario saw more action! NB Not like that. Embarrassed

@Balla: I only remember GameTek - I totally don't remember The Humans. The game, at least. Razz
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Game Boy Thread   The Game Boy Thread EmptySat 10 Jan 2015 - 9:25

ZeroJones wrote:
And isn't it weird how parents love their puzzle games? My Mum was addicted to both Tetris and Dr. Mario. We had the SNES game with them both on and Dr. Mario saw more action! NB Not like that. Embarrassed

It certainly is! My parents hate videogames, which is slightly hypocritical as Mum was obsessed with Tetris, Columns and Lemmings when I were a lad. She even hogged a Tetris LCD watch I had (anyone remember those?)

She seems to spend quite a lot of time on some sort of Bejeweled clone on her phone these days.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Game Boy Thread   The Game Boy Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

The Game Boy Thread
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next