Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Best/Worst Console Launches in History

Go down 
+13
Cube
ZeroJones
fronkhead
The_Jaster
SuperPaperLink
Treesmurf
masofdas
The Cappuccino Kid
Athrun888
Balladeer
Fancy Fancy
Crumpy Andy
JayMoyles
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Best/Worst Console Launches in History - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Console Launches in History   Best/Worst Console Launches in History - Page 6 EmptyMon 3 Oct 2016 - 20:43

masofdas wrote:
What people are saying about the NX is sort of true it needs that killer app as at the moemnt I'm happy to buy BotW on Wii U and play it on that, which is sort of the problem with PS4 launch and the Wii U's as nearly all the games could be played on an other system.  

To be fair, I think that there's a difference, as there was with LoZTP - not many people had a GC compared to the Wii, and those who did were the big Nintendo fans who were willing to upgrade regardless (cough).  Whereas with the Wii U the casuals (disclaimer: arbitrary distinctions may apply) weren't willing to upgrade, so you had the handful of gamers who were willing to upgrade again, and a much larger audience who either didn't care about such games or would already have played them on another, already available, machine.  Also BotW will be released contemporaneously on both consoles, which is a big improvement from the Wii U ports.

So I think BotW will be a killer NX app. for most, but I don't think it's enough alone, especially if what Drunka says is true (although the US is probably more important than Japan for Nintendo, as soon as they release a Pokémon or Yo-Kai Watch or Monster Hunter that market is sewn up).  It needs a Wii Sports or something.

The other thing is that assuming (and it's a pretty safe bet now) that this is indeed the rumoured hybrid, it'll have the handheld appeal and therefore will sell just fine regardless.  We're all looking at it in terms of home consoles.  The 3DS has to date sold 60 million, not exactly world-conquering but not Wii U failure-figures by a long stretch.  

That's if Nintendo sells it as a handheld.  What their marketing team will do, up to and including withdrawing their budget from an ATM in 1000¥ notes and eating it all, is anybody's guess.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Console Launches in History   Best/Worst Console Launches in History - Page 6 EmptyMon 3 Oct 2016 - 21:01

Yeah I upgraded (not sure if you can call the Wii a upgrade though) to the Wii and it was Zelda that made me get a Wii but didn't make the 100 hundreds of millions of Wii owners buy a Wii, Wii Sports.

Drunka is right Zelda doesn't actually sell that well, it do enough to make the NX have a successful day one to the core.

I do think you're right about how they'll market it and the handheld always sell especially if they can get people to go from smartphone to the NX but as someone who bought a Wii, DS Lite, 3DS, 3DS XL, New 3DS and Wii U at launch. I do feel nearly all disappointed me, that the NX has to a lot for me to get one.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Console Launches in History   Best/Worst Console Launches in History - Page 6 EmptyMon 3 Oct 2016 - 22:48

Nintendogs & cats and New Super Mario Bros. U probably should have been killer apps for the launches of the 3DS and Wii U, based on the insane amount of copies that they shifted in the previous generation of Nintendo consoles. Tastes change, of course. The original Nintendogs was a bit of a novelty, all things considered. New Super Mario Bros. U was humped by the fact that Nintendo of Europe's marketing strategy was all about "How Will U Play Next?", which was to show the various ways you could play all of the games. Trying to market the Wii U as something modern and forward-thinking by using a game that took all it's ideas straight from the Mega Drive era and it's visuals from the first XBox wasn't a brilliant plan.

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Console Launches in History   Best/Worst Console Launches in History - Page 6 EmptyTue 4 Oct 2016 - 8:41

I'd say that the NSMB series, as well as the Nintendogs series, had lost its new-and-shiny status by then, making them both that much harder to sell. Back on the DS a new 2D Mario was something we hadn't had for a while. By the Wii U, all those excited about the series on the DS and Wii had seen that actually, these weren't gamechangers like SMB, SMB3, SMW had been.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Console Launches in History   Best/Worst Console Launches in History - Page 6 EmptySun 9 Oct 2016 - 10:47

Right. Right. Right. Brainstorming idea. Right. Right:
  • Try and win back the old lapsed Nintendo fans by either including a NES Mini with a purchase of NX, or include all the games with it.
  • Advertise Breath of the Wild like a crazyman
  • New Mario game at launch? I'm out of ideas that are not blatanly obvious.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Console Launches in History   Best/Worst Console Launches in History - Page 6 EmptySun 9 Oct 2016 - 11:43

SSB5 trailer? Pokémon Eclipse NXclusive? This is why we don't work in games, Jimbob. Neutral
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Console Launches in History   Best/Worst Console Launches in History - Page 6 EmptySun 20 Nov 2016 - 20:24

NLife has posted LKD tweets on what she thinks the line up for the Switch will be from various sources, I would take this with a pinch of salt but think about what we've seen & heard from her and Miss Rogers as well who said ages and ages ago about remasters for instance.

Day One March 17th in PAL regions:
3D Mario
Mario RPG invasion of the Rabbids
Splatoon Directors Cut, Pack In with £250 Switch
Skyrim
Just Dance 2017, Joy-Cons will have motion control (Which hopefully means Wii VC on Switch)

First 6 Months;
Smash for Switch, Bayonetta and Cloud amiibo to launch on the same day
Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Demo in development due to Summer release
Telltale Guardians of the Galaxy, EP1 near launch with each episode building to the movie release
The Silver Case
Mario Kart 8 Directors Cut
Xenoblade Chronicles X Directors Cut
Mario Maker Directors Cut

Sometime in 2017:
Pokemon Stars
Pikmin 4 / Reboot
Project Sonic

Beyond Good and Evil 2, Switch Exclusive

I said elsewhere that seems a lot of ports but apparently out of all the Wii Us (13.5m) and 3DSs (60.2m), 10 Million people own both systems and some pointed out that those 10m people are likely the hardcore Nintendo fan who'll buy the Switch anyway.

Out of those games I would buy 8 of them at least maybe even 10 of them but for someone that hasn't owned a Wii U or really cared that is a sold bunch of games and I guess if own 3DS you might not want SMASH, Maker or Stars but all the rest will be new to you.

Seems Ubisoft are well on board again.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Console Launches in History   Best/Worst Console Launches in History - Page 6 EmptyFri 16 Dec 2016 - 13:25

In the months leading up to the Switch launch, do we see any stores doing a Wii-U fire sale? I've not seen any hints yet of Wii-U deals but would be odd to keep them at the £200+ price. Who would be buying a Wii-U this Christmas??
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Console Launches in History   Best/Worst Console Launches in History - Page 6 EmptyFri 9 Oct 2020 - 22:25

What do you guys think about the PS5 and Series launch line-ups, now I know this will have overlap with November's games' release thread (there we will talk what we're getting on any system)  but those are new release where these two systems seem a tad different from previous gens due to things like Fortnite which will have a PS5 upgrade on day one and sure because it's a game as service game. Then on the Xbox side of things you have games such as Forza Horizon 4 getting a 4k 60fps mode at launch.

So this is the line-ups as of now on day one, I've left out the likes of Ratchet and Clank as that is launch window game which could be 4 months like Infamous Second Son or 7 months like Pikmin 3 was for Wii U, I would guess R&C is a March 2021 game.

PS5 including some ??? if the upgrade is coming at launch

Assassin's Creed Valhalla
Avengers
Astro's Playroom, Built in
Borderlands 3
Bugsnax
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition
Demon's Souls
Destiny 2
Destruction AllStars
Dirt 5
FIFA 21
For Honor
Fortnite
Godfall
Just Dance 2021
Madden NFL 21
Maneater
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Spider-Man Remastered available via Ultimate Edition
Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate
NBA 2K21
Observer: System Redux
The Pathless
Planet Coaster
Rainbow Six Siege
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Watch Dogs: Legion

Personally think it's a decent line up and sure some like Miles is on PS4 and PS5 but so was Twilight Princess & Breath of the Wild sure it's not on that level but is a game for everyone. Where Demon's is the game for the hardcore, Sackboy for all the family, mixed in with your 3rd party which gives an FPS with COD, a Racer with Dirt, a fighter with MK11 etc. I can't see many duff games either maybe Bugsnax or Destruction AllStars will be the Knack of the PS5 launch.

Xbox Series X|S including some ??? if the upgrade is coming at launch

Assassin's Creed Valhalla
Avengers
Borderlands 3
Bright Memory
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
Destiny 2, Game Pass all Expansions including Beyond Light
Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition
Dirt 5
The Falconer
FIFA 21
For Honor
Fortnite
Forza Horizon 4, Game Pass
Gears 5, Game Pass
Gears Tactics, Game Pass
Just Dance 2021
Madden NFL 21
Maneater
Manifold Garden
Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate
NBA 2K21
Observer: System Redux
Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Game Pass
Planet Coaster
Rainbow Six Siege
Sea of Thieves, Game Pass
Tell Me Why, Game Pass
Tetris Effect: Connected, Game Pass
Watch Dogs: Legion
Yakuza: Like a Dragon

Xbox and PS5 share a lot of the same games, so there is variety like if you want an FPS you have COD or Racer Dirt 5 but seems to be no real stand outs. I do think that's down to me already having played Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5, Ori, Tell Me Why, even Tetris Effect but on PS4 and I can't see me really going back to an Ori.

Those are all in Game Pass though which is a huge benefit if you are new to Xbox as Forza Horizon 4 likely the best game between both lists but it's a 2-year-old. That for now the Xbox Series X at the moment seems a tad like what it must feel to buy new graphic cards on PC, same library but your games look better and I'm guessing people get a new card when they want that one game to look great, feel I'm waiting for a Halo for that on Xbox.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst Console Launches in History   Best/Worst Console Launches in History - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Best/Worst Console Launches in History
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6