Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Virtual Reality

Go down 
+15
Muss
oldschool
Crumpy Andy
The_Jaster
fronkhead
Axis1500
Jimbob
ZeroJones
JayMoyles
Cube
beemoh
Athrun888
Buskalilly
masofdas
Balladeer
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Axis1500
Vote Thread
Axis1500

Virtual Reality - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virtual Reality   Virtual Reality - Page 2 EmptyWed 2 Apr 2014 - 2:51

A friend of mine made this. It made me laugh.

Virtual Reality - Page 2 EjEGk8T

Its interesting though that you don't see the normal cries of "gimmick", even though a screen strapped a few inches from your face is the ultimate definition of one.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Reality   Virtual Reality - Page 2 EmptyWed 2 Apr 2014 - 7:57

It's because it's what the gimmick-criers imagined the future of videogames would be when they were 6, I reckon.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Reality   Virtual Reality - Page 2 EmptyThu 26 Jun 2014 - 13:30

Morpheus in action
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Reality   Virtual Reality - Page 2 EmptyFri 27 Jun 2014 - 1:45

I think VR is a good idea, just right now it has some huge hurdles to stumble across to avoid being the next 3D.

In terms of videogames, there are many: the hardware seems to be good enough now but developers need to make sure their games are designed to minimise motion sickness which seems to be a big or small challenge depending on the game.

As for VR in general, I think Rift has a better chance: being used for 'apps' as well as games has better potential. As corny as it did sound, it would be pretty cool to watch a sports game via one, especially since it would feel natural to sit down and just watch it, since that emulates watching the real thing.

So far, Morpheus seems like a 'me-too'. Perhaps we'll see more at TGS? As always, it's the software that matters, so my interest will be correlated with compelling game content.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Reality   Virtual Reality - Page 2 EmptyFri 27 Jun 2014 - 2:10

You's probably wont know who I'm on about but the guy shouting "die fish" looked like Nikon Punch. (Twitch TV streamer)
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Reality   Virtual Reality - Page 2 EmptyFri 27 Jun 2014 - 9:36

One the guys playing it was Dan Maher AKA MrPointyHead, I think of Xbox Fame.

I agree with most of want you are saying but I think the Morpheus will do better due to fact every PS4 can use it my Laptop wouldn't work with Rift.
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Reality   Virtual Reality - Page 2 EmptyFri 27 Jun 2014 - 9:38

masofdas wrote:
I agree with most of want you are saying but I think the Morpheus will do better due to fact every PS4 can use it my Laptop wouldn't work with Rift.

I was going to make some comment about how the PC gaming lot are up themselves enough to force it into success, but then I remembered that I can't think of a single successful gaming peripheral that has succeeded leading on PC.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Reality   Virtual Reality - Page 2 EmptyFri 27 Jun 2014 - 9:45

What was the last "successful" gaming peripheral anyway, that didn't come bundled with the console? Using whatever criteria for "success" you like.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Reality   Virtual Reality - Page 2 EmptyFri 27 Jun 2014 - 9:47

Kinect

And these two don't go away well the first has a bit but during the 90's you had to have a light gun.
Light Gun
Steering Wheel
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Reality   Virtual Reality - Page 2 EmptyFri 27 Jun 2014 - 9:49

I thought somebody might say Kinect, but has it actually been successful? By what metric?

I guess there was the Balance Board prior to that, which I presume did pretty well.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Reality   Virtual Reality - Page 2 EmptyFri 27 Jun 2014 - 9:58

Feb 2013 it had sold 24million SKU's that more Kinects then the OG Xbox in the world. I can't find up to date figures for it but you would think around 30m SKU's. I would say it's been rather successful.

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Reality   Virtual Reality - Page 2 EmptyFri 27 Jun 2014 - 9:59

Bloody hell. Not bad, considering that by most accounts it didn't work properly.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Reality   Virtual Reality - Page 2 EmptyFri 27 Jun 2014 - 11:29

Yeah, I'd certainly say Kinect was successful, since Microsoft managed to attract a lot of developer support for it.

Wii Balance Board certainly was a success sales-wise, but it'd be unfair to look at software for it since it was obviously only intended to be made for one game anyway: Wii Fit.

If Sony want to make Morpheus a success (which requires an additional two/three peripherals: PS Move, PS Move 'Navigation Controller' and PS Eye), it's going to take a lot. Especially when PS Move itself barely took off out of Sony's own disinterest for it/the wrong strategy.

I guess with Morpheus it forces developers to actually make new experiences like Kinect, whereas Move support was just crammed into normal games...
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Reality   Virtual Reality - Page 2 EmptyFri 27 Jun 2014 - 11:46

Balladeer wrote:
What was the last "successful" gaming peripheral anyway, that didn't come bundled with the console?  Using whatever criteria for "success" you like.

As Mas said, Steering wheels and light guns. I'll include dance mats and guitar controllers- yes, these two are longish fads generally confined to one company's output, but they spawned a lot of clones of varying quality, and there's far still more of those in the wild than there are Razer Hydras.

Fuck it, there's probably more Dreamcast fishing controllers out there.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Reality   Virtual Reality - Page 2 EmptyFri 27 Jun 2014 - 12:02

The_Jaster wrote:
You's probably wont know who I'm on about but the guy shouting "die fish" looked like Nikon Punch. (Twitch TV streamer)

BREAKING: it wasn't him.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Reality   Virtual Reality - Page 2 EmptyFri 27 Jun 2014 - 14:46

I do love the fishing rod.

I would think morpheus will come with the camera, not sure about the move as the dual shock 4 has it built in but might feel a bit silly to use for a sword.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Reality   Virtual Reality - Page 2 EmptyMon 1 Sep 2014 - 22:37

They've done it, Katsuhiro Harada of tekken fame has made a tech demo for Project Morpheus which allows you do interact with a schoolgirl.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Reality   Virtual Reality - Page 2 EmptySat 13 Sep 2014 - 21:23

You mean this? Be honest: it's what we all signed up to VR for really, isn't it?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Reality   Virtual Reality - Page 2 EmptySat 13 Sep 2014 - 21:36

That's a different one again and urghh metro.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Reality   Virtual Reality - Page 2 EmptySat 29 Nov 2014 - 17:33

More Summer Lesson, this will sell PS4's in Japan
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Reality   Virtual Reality - Page 2 EmptyThu 22 Jan 2015 - 22:01

Not VR but AR, at the Windows event Microsoft showed of there holo-lens things and looks rather nifty.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Reality   Virtual Reality - Page 2 EmptyWed 4 Mar 2015 - 9:40

Triple Post

More info on Morpheus thanks to Push Square which we now know is coming in 2016 also announced some significant hardware changes – including a new OLED display that outputs at "1920 x RGB x 1080 resolution", and includes red, green, and blue sub-pixels for impressive clarity.

The most important thing, however, is the screen's 120Hz refresh rate, which is hopefully going to result in some seriously slick looking content. Speaking during a press conference in San Francisco, Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida added that the PlayStation 4 has been built with 120 frames-per-second in mind, meaning that games are going to run super smooth when supporting the peripheral. The firm's also apparently concocted a method of doubling the framerate of titles already running at 60 frames-per-second, which it's demoing to the press.

Lastly, it's reduced latency to 18 milliseconds, meaning that you should see an immediate response when you move your head. This is a significant improvement over the previous prototype, and it's boosted by the addition of three extra LEDs, which will help with head tracking.

So that's some great info but sounds dam expensive.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Reality   Virtual Reality - Page 2 EmptyWed 4 Mar 2015 - 11:18

Not mentioning the fact that HTC and Valve are pairing up to launch a VR set this year?

Coupled with the fact that the Source 2 engine has just been announced, I reckon we might genuinely be seeing Half Life 3 this year.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Reality   Virtual Reality - Page 2 EmptyWed 4 Mar 2015 - 11:29

Yeah I seen that and a few others with VR stuff like Samsung and Nivida now trying to make a console but not really been keeping up with it or to bothered about them.

But sorry I have to on Half Life 3
Virtual Reality - Page 2 8ZkFCiE

But I do think Valve could do a great job but like PC gaming surely you need a PC to be able to use them & how much is that going to cost.

That's the benefits of Morpheus is that it will just work with all 20 million PS4's out at the moment and by 2016 what's there going to be like 30M+ PS4's which can all use that device same with Holo Lens but that might be harder to support as at least Morpheus you could get PC ports where Holo Lens the game will have to be made for that & just ONE.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Reality   Virtual Reality - Page 2 EmptyWed 4 Mar 2015 - 11:47

If PC players want a VR headset badly enough then surely they will upgrade their computers enough to make sure it works, anyhow still don't see either of these taking off due to two things: 1. the novelty factor 2. the cost.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Reality   Virtual Reality - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Virtual Reality
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next