We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jim Sterling

Go down 
+13
Muss
Dead Lemon
oldschool
JayMoyles
Jimbob
The_Jaster
Axis1500
ZeroJones
fronkhead
Buskalilly
The Cappuccino Kid
masofdas
Balladeer
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Jim Sterling - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   Jim Sterling - Page 8 EmptyTue 3 Sep 2019 - 20:09

Sounds like you're in luck: from what I've heard Astral Chain has a bit of Gainaxing in. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   Jim Sterling - Page 8 EmptyWed 18 Sep 2019 - 21:08

I'm sure this won't be controversial:

Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   Jim Sterling - Page 8 EmptyWed 18 Sep 2019 - 21:14

I'm in some Xbox groups and let's say it's not good, even if it's mainly true and what he's says at the end about Game Pass is now why I play Xbox and the start is why I didn't.

Still this feels like something that happens each gen in away, one starts out shite becomes good and it happens the other way around for the other.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   Jim Sterling - Page 8 EmptyTue 24 Sep 2019 - 12:07

When we having the funeral for E3?
https://youtu.be/Kitw_qP7leA
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   Jim Sterling - Page 8 EmptyTue 24 Sep 2019 - 16:50

Erm....wasn't the funeral in like 2013 when Nintendo very smartly ditched doing the normal press conferences?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   Jim Sterling - Page 8 EmptyTue 24 Sep 2019 - 17:24

Nail in the coffin then
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   Jim Sterling - Page 8 EmptyTue 5 Nov 2019 - 21:27

I'd say the first part's the most important, and tragic, bit of the video. Re. the main thrust, much though I think Mario Kart Tour is a bit of a fire in a rubbish bin, I do think that anyone playing a game with no online mode and thinking the bots are real humans is... a bit daft. I do appreciate his main message though, but it seems a bit small fry compared to... well, the Blizzard stuff for example.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   Jim Sterling - Page 8 EmptyTue 5 Nov 2019 - 21:42

See I know a guy in work who doesn't play many games but started playing Fortnite again after Chapter 2, he knew about this and thought it was positive as he hadn't played for awhile and got him back in the groove.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   Jim Sterling - Page 8 EmptyTue 26 Nov 2019 - 21:29

Everybody do the Gym Sterling dance!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   Jim Sterling - Page 8 EmptyMon 12 Oct 2020 - 19:39

I'm well aware that I'm a bit behind several of you on this, but I'm going off Sterling's stuff a bit. I still think the stuff he does is really important, but the presentation seems to be getting worse. He's lost the jolly impressive intro and the dictator shtick, he does almost entire episodes in sarcasm every other week and it's grating, the beginning and ending bits seem to see him vanishing ever further up his own colon, and he's always trying to shoehorn in his wrestling career and to someone who doesn't care about wrestling that's just not fun. Aww!

I guess what I'm asking is: is there anyone else who does this sort of stuff out there? Regular or irregular videos, ideally with some humour in them, holding the gaming industry to account?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   Jim Sterling - Page 8 EmptyMon 12 Oct 2020 - 19:58

Think he's just trying to be himself and his wrestling is part of that along with other things which are just him.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   Jim Sterling - Page 8 EmptyMon 12 Oct 2020 - 21:47

And what parts of that he brings to his show is obviously his call, and I don't mind the lipstick or the pinker tinge to his costume or things like that. The wrestling isn't for me, and there are other things that don't feel like 'him being him' that feel less good now.

Anyway, is there anyone else who does this sort of stuff out there?
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   Jim Sterling - Page 8 EmptyMon 12 Oct 2020 - 22:08

I don't really have any recommendations I'm afraid. Jim pops up a lot on my suggested videos but it's got to the point where you only really need to see the thumbnail. That's not necessarily a knock on him, it's the industry that keeps on, err... giving?

I think he's a bit overdue a gimmick refresh. When I was really into his stuff, I think it was his squirty plays that I enjoyed the most. Just him having a chat over a game, normally a crap game. But it was natural, informative and at times funny. Now that I'm only really seeing the odd Jimquisition, I dunno, it's just the same gimmick and the same shitty industry.

I enjoyed his weird editing and stupid pictures much more than I ever did his dictator schtick.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   Jim Sterling - Page 8 EmptyTue 13 Oct 2020 - 2:49

The problem is, there literally is nobody else doing it. I don't mind the wrestling stuff, it's understandable that he's having to use his channel to keep that business afloat while a global pandemic prevents them putting on a show. I am getting a bit tired of the subjects he covers but that's kind of the point, right?

I think there is a logical step for where to go next from Jim and it's just to move into pure leftist, anti-capitalist content. The games angle is why I became interested in Jim but it's just one aspect of a larger problem. The anarcho-capitalistic system is a monster of epic proportions and Jim's look at one single tentacle of it is only ever going to be interesting for so long.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   Jim Sterling - Page 8 EmptyTue 13 Oct 2020 - 12:34

There's a really dry guy who keeps coming up in my recommendations called YongYea. It seems like he tends to cover controversy or failures, but it's not presented in a particularly engaging way. It's a bit like having a text-to-speech narrator read you a tedious section from the Financial Times.

His videos are always about 20 minutes long and he has that youtuber tendency of just repeating the same point ad nauseum, which I suppose is what happens when you don't have an editor and make your money by blarting out as much content as possible. But at least the Financial Times does more than scratch the surface, all Yongers does is give you a bloated timeline.

That's where Jim's great, he digs deep and to be fair in the last video of his that I watched he did go on about an anti-capitalist revolution involving the desecration of Yggdrasil Laughing
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   Jim Sterling - Page 8 EmptyWed 14 Oct 2020 - 19:02

I've seen that name too, shame to learn he's not worth following.

I do think the stuff Jim does is important to keep banging on about, although I can also see how people can get sick of that; and in a warped twisted way I still find the banging-on quite entertaining. That said, he's definitely making a lot more references to how it's the system that's broken nowadays, in between calls to unionise.

Muss wrote:
I enjoyed his weird editing and stupid pictures much more than I ever did his dictator schtick.

That's fair: there seem to be fewer stupid pictures now too. I mean, there's still enough (Minerva Mink's appearing in a big way these days), but the new art guy seems to like filling chunks of show with a five-minute clip of a pretty person shaking their head.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   Jim Sterling - Page 8 EmptyMon 21 Mar 2022 - 15:25

Here's the From video that Balla mentioned elsewhere
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   Jim Sterling - Page 8 EmptyWed 23 Mar 2022 - 21:22

Not much to it really. I know that their whole point is that we can't assume things have improved over the last ten years, but without further evidence it feels like beating a horse that you don't even know is dead.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   Jim Sterling - Page 8 EmptyThu 24 Mar 2022 - 14:01

The allegations themselves were, like you say, historic and also pretty unfortunately standard. On the other hand, the point about fans jumping to defend the companies they like even when they are indefensible . . . yup.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jim Sterling   Jim Sterling - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Jim Sterling
Page 8 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GNamer Forum :: Gaming Miscellaneous :: General Gaming Discussions-
Jump to: