We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~

Go down 
+15
oldschool
Admin
Treesmurf
shanks
The Cappuccino Kid
Jimbob
Vidofnir
ZeroJones
The_Jaster
Crumpy Andy
Balladeer
masofdas
Buskalilly
JayMoyles
Athrun888
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 4 EmptyFri 7 Nov 2014 - 14:55

For the first time in eons I'm seriously tempted right now to take a game disc out and using it as a frisbee for a few minutes followed by snapping the disc in two and tossing the box in the bin.  Followed by removing the fact I ever owned it from any and every site I keep my current collections cataloged on.  There's nothing I hate, scratch that hate isn't strong enough.  There's nothing I loath more than when a game throws you in to something, tells you absolutely nothing, and then somehow expects you to actually do what it wants you to.  Or they tell you things you already could figure out by using various buttons, but then tell you jack shit on how to actually progress things.  Made even more annoying when the camera is simultaneously overly responsive and unresponsive in the ways you actually want, and the controls in general are, well, I would call them ass but they aren't that bad so I'll call them eccentric instead.  

So, to prevent this from just being another rant lets use it for something besides my personal stress relief, are there things in games that seriously get under others skins like those do mine?

On the things I'd want on the wii u discussion point, can't say anything current generation springs to mind.  In fact it's the other way around, there are a variety of things I'd rather were on the ps3 because of the trophy addict in me than there are things I want on the wii u.  If I were to think of hd ports instead of current games I could scrounge up valkyrie profile 2 though, that game was meant to be on a more powerful system in native 1080p hd at 60 frames per second with the combination of stunning visuals and amazing art direction that game had.  Okami would be another and a more natural fit for the system given the nature of the game.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 4 EmptySun 9 Nov 2014 - 9:43

I dunno - I'm playing Dark Souls II at the moment, which is deliberately elusive in terms of progression. Having said that, I'm still getting through the game without resorting to GameFAQs, which suggests that it's doing just the right amount of signposting. I think the thing is that, whereas you go into that game knowing that's what it's going to be like, a lot of games aren't designed like that; therefore, if you get stuck, it's due to a bad design rather than a difficult one. There has been the occasional thing in the past that's like that, but, to be honest, I just assume that there's a mistake on the dev's part and hit the walkthroughs.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 4 EmptySun 9 Nov 2014 - 15:13

The best thing to do in dark souls is read the descriptions of items that you pick up, especially key items as they give you the best hints of where you should be going next.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 4 EmptyTue 11 Nov 2014 - 14:11

Freedom wars is surprisingly awesome. It's not flawless by any stretch of the imagination, but the abductors have finally started to be challenging and dangerous and the boss fight with this one was downright awesome, a fight with a giant winged cyborg tiger. I'm loving the thorns mechanic, latching on to enemies and either jumping on them or slashing past them, or trying to bring them down, or hooking on to a wall.

As far as monster hunter clones go this one's pretty fun, and I like the setting more than monster hunter.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 4 EmptyWed 12 Nov 2014 - 0:09

I'll be voting The Last of Us as game of the year. Dance
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 4 EmptyWed 12 Nov 2014 - 1:00

Thought I'd bring over some of the GOTY chatter that had been filling up the last game you finished thread & I had a bit more to say especially about what mas last said.

mas wrote:
I just don't know how people can't understand the simple concept of a game of the year has to be a game that came out that year and not a port etc, Hence the SNES game bringing brought up as a certain SNES game let's say donkey kong country came out this year on the Wii U and wasn't on it last year, So would you consider it GOTY 2014 of course not as it's from 1994 not 2014 same principal would apply to The Last of Us remastered and why it's been discounted for GOTY on pretty much every gaming media outlet under the sun.

That Donkey Kong example is very poor one as who would really consider a VC game for a GoTY vote? Sure I agree it should be a simple case of if it is newly released that year then it should be considered in your vote, however I think you can make exceptions for some games like Guacamelee STCE which not only added new content to the game but was released on a format it didn't back at the previous release meaning a whole host of folk got to play it for the first time (me included) so why shouldn't they be allowed to consider for GoTY?

Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 4 EmptyWed 12 Nov 2014 - 10:23

But I never played Donkey Kong Country in till now as I didn't have a SNES, this is the first time I played it just like you with Guacamelee STCE (I have played before DKC before though).

So can it be my GOTY then donkey kong country by the logic you used Jas but like you said who would really consider it like with Last of Us, Tomb Raider, GTAV, Unfinished, Journey, Halo:MCC etc I see them all as port's just like DKC and I feel the same applies to Guacamelee STCE.

So it's just easier and makes more sense that GOTY is a whole NEW game of 2014 not a port.

Like I said if we were voting for games on a system then that's a different question like WiiU vote it was from Nov 2012 - Nov 2013 clearly not GOTY as it wasn't Jan 2013- Dec 2013 and course of was just one platform where we were voting for what the best was on the Wii U be it a port of not it's the best game on it. So like I said if we were doing a Top 10 1st anniversary ON a PS4 that be from Nov 2013 - Nov 2014 and we could likely do a Top 10 of just port's of games that came out before but doesn't mean they shouldn't be consider best games on the PS4 but I wouldn't consider any of them GOTY 2014 which should be a NEW game on ANY system.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 4 EmptyWed 12 Nov 2014 - 10:28

Straight up re-releases aren't of that year. They're simply becoming available to play on a different console. If it's a properly changed game like Guac I don't see why it can't be considered a game of that year. Is REmake a different game to Resi 1, Is Twin Snakes different to MGS1? Yes, and so is Guac STCE to Guac.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 4 EmptyWed 12 Nov 2014 - 10:57

There Remakes those two, I did put in the Metal Gear thread on the pole Twin Snakes as people might prefer that as there fav Metal Gear game but I wouldn't consider of it back when it came out as it was a remake and the core gameplay and story hasn't changed.

same with Guacamelee STCE, so does Pokemon ORAS coming but I don't think anyone was thinking of Pokemon as GOTY.

Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 4 EmptyWed 12 Nov 2014 - 11:11

I disagree again, Pokemon is going to be very different to the OGs and I think people will be considering it for GOTYs. I wouldn't personally but I don't ever consider Pokemon that highly.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 4 EmptyWed 12 Nov 2014 - 11:18

Also I'm not doing the any of awards, so this talk might be for nothing as that's up to balla if he does an award and what the rules are.

I'm just saying when I do post my Top 10 games of 2014 like last year it will only be NEW games as that's all I consider that should be picked from and when media outlet's putting there's up I can only see them doing the same (we know most are doing that already).

On pokemon story and core-gameplay will be pretty much the same.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 4 EmptyWed 12 Nov 2014 - 11:24

The core gameplay and story is the same on every pokemon Laughing
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 4 EmptyWed 12 Nov 2014 - 11:27

I'm actually only going to be allowing games on the Commodore 64 or before for this year's vote.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 4 EmptyWed 12 Nov 2014 - 11:31

That could be said for any sequel.

Also seeing Balla is doing the awards I can pretty forget about voting for likes of Dragon Age Inquisition now (if it's that good) as it's not on a Nintendo system.

He might not even let Child of Light in as it's not from Nintendo Balladeer

We do know one GOTY already from a outlet golden joysticks which Dark Soul's 2 won 2014 GOTY. GOTY Edition for PS4 please.

Last edited by masofdas on Wed 12 Nov 2014 - 11:32; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Dam he posted before me but I think it still applies)
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 4 EmptyWed 12 Nov 2014 - 11:35

Yup, I'll definitely be fiddling those votes behind the scenes to make sure that no pesky non-Nintendo games come anywhere close to winning.

Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 4 EmptyWed 12 Nov 2014 - 23:34

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't see the point in having games of the year every year. I just don't think those sort of games come around very often, if that makes any sense. There are fun good games every year, but not games that are awesomely amazing on that level.
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 4 EmptyThu 13 Nov 2014 - 0:20

There's at least one or two games that hit that level of awesomeness
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 4 EmptyThu 13 Nov 2014 - 0:34

Everyone is always bound to have a favourite game each year though, it's not saying that those games will join an elite list of games never to be forgotten, in the same way there might be a few games in one year you'll never forget, it's just a case of sharing your favourite game in the year that was as a nice little look back.

Random thought, I'd quite like some kind of Animal Crossing spin off, because why not? Not like a kart racer because there isn't much point in that but surely Nintendo can think of something good.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 4 EmptyThu 13 Nov 2014 - 4:13

mas wrote:
I wouldn't consider any of them GOTY 2014 which should be a NEW game on ANY system.

A "NEW" game on "ANY system" you say? Guacamelee STCE is NEW to the WII U so that means it's in. Razz

(Isn't that right balladeer?)
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 4 EmptyThu 13 Nov 2014 - 7:56

Mmmmf mmm mmm mmmmmm mmmmmf!

Treesmurf wrote:
Random thought, I'd quite like some kind of Animal Crossing spin off, because why not? Not like a kart racer because there isn't much point in that but surely Nintendo can think of something good.

Drunkalilly's "review" of New Leaf for the Last Game You "Finished" thread suggested an action-oriented Animal Crossing game (with TBS elements, I think?), and I would be all the way up for that.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 4 EmptyThu 13 Nov 2014 - 8:00

I also, less jokingly, said that an animal crossing/ monster hunter mash up would be the greatest game ever made.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 4 EmptyThu 13 Nov 2014 - 10:17

Nope as it's not from Nintendo remember that Jas (and it's not NEW its an enhanced port) it has to be a Nintendo game duh.

On actual GOTY of the year I think this year has been one of the worst years for gaming there's been some really good games but if look at games that have won awards in previous years most would say are classics or future classics but I can't see much apart from Bayo 2 being in that category & that be more of a cult thing as well.

Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 4 EmptyFri 14 Nov 2014 - 0:39

Animal Crossing X Pokémon anyone? Love

To be honest if such a thing were to happen it'd most likely be a party game I think, Sweet Day in Nintendo Land has already given me a hankering for it.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 4 EmptyFri 14 Nov 2014 - 0:42

mas wrote:
Nope as it's not from Nintendo remember that Jas (and it's not NEW its an enhanced port) it has to be a Nintendo game duh

Laughing Erm........how does it have to be a Nintendo game? That's like saying I couldn't pick Scram kitty for my GoTY if I wanted to because it's not made from Nintendo or Dark souls 2 on ps3 because it's not Sony.

So by your logic not only does it have to be brand new it also has to be made by the same folk that made the hardware? Geez a break.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 4 EmptyFri 14 Nov 2014 - 9:17

Because it's Balla doing the vote and everything not made by Nintendo is Twisted Evil

I would allow like I said anything NEW (not enhanced ports) of any system to be GOTY as I know fronk does like his iOS games.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~
Page 4 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next