Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Best Year in Gaming Returns

Go down 
+7
ZeroJones
Buskalilly
Gogoata
The_Jaster
Balladeer
Jimbob
masofdas
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Best Year in Gaming Returns  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Year in Gaming Returns    Best Year in Gaming Returns  - Page 2 EmptyThu 1 Oct 2015 - 20:03

I've talked ad infinitum about how I feel about this year. Utter stinker. This is unless XCX blows everything else out of the water, which is not impossible.

Don't expect next year to exactly be a blinder either. Zelda U, sure; but I'm more nervous about SF0 than I should be, and Nintendo's last two launch line-ups haven't exactly set me ablaze.

Last year was brilliant though, let's not forget that (unless you're Zero).
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Best Year in Gaming Returns    Best Year in Gaming Returns  - Page 2 EmptyThu 1 Oct 2015 - 21:48

Is Zelda U coming next year, Smurf things so from twitter but a TBC date and possible NX on the horizon, I'm a little iffy. On SF: O if you read Day Four or EGX podcast Drunka loved it and I did prefer on Day Four over Two, but the press release of it did sound like there working on the controls of that game which can only be a good thing from the negative from people.

Of course both of you at Nintendo only as Zero points out there has been some incredible stuff on the other systems and even mobile Final Fnatsy VII even though it's just a port. But as Jas was saying MonHan 4U is near perfect for him, to me I don't get it. I know your not a fan Balla of the series may I ask why as I think it's the same reason as me.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Best Year in Gaming Returns    Best Year in Gaming Returns  - Page 2 EmptyThu 1 Oct 2015 - 21:56

Mmm.  Well Jas could reasonably say that I haven't given it a chance - I played the MH4 demo., or one mission thereof, and gave up there.  It's a combination of:
  • Not having the connection to play games that live and die on their online;
  • Not really liking games that live or die on their online, even if I could play them;
  • Being aware that, if I ever did like a game that lived on its online, I could get addicted to that thing very rapidly;
  • When I tried the demo., the battle system felt clunky and unintuitive (and apparently the dual blades are the fastest weapon);
  • No exploration of an overworld, the game instead being (as far as I can see) divided up into towns and hunts;
  • An emphasis on collecting random crap and using it to upgrade random crap over and above story progression;
  • Least important of the bunch, but I still feel a little bit uneasy playing a game that's entirely themed around hunting.  Some of the Xenoblade sub-quests made me feel guilty: I bet MonHun would do the same.
I would imagine that, if our reasons overlap, yours would be 4 or 6 (I know you love TLS, which essentially did 5).

On the subject of the thread, though, my favourite things this year have been two sets of DLC.  MK8 finished its releases this year, and SSBU has charmed me with every new thing it's brought out (apart from some of the kinda lazy ones).  These things have kept me playing two excellent games from last year well into this one.  Mustn't forget that. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Best Year in Gaming Returns    Best Year in Gaming Returns  - Page 2 EmptyThu 1 Oct 2015 - 22:12

I don't know if you really need the internet to play them but I agree with 6 and a bit of 5, I found from the few games I've played as I did play bits on the PSP as well as Nintendo systemsthat I've likely put about 20hrs into the series which is a fair amount but I know that's peanuts compared to what Jas has put into one MonHan game.

I find them to be you are in your village and you go on a hunt, kill monster, harvest stuff that allows you to buy new gear to hunt stronger monsters and repeat with no real purpose.

Which some like Jas loves and has made 2015 a great year for him with MH4U but to me it hasn't like Zero didn't think last year for the Wii U was great as he's not a fan of Kart or Smash.

From the random thoughts thread I want story and when I think of my Top 10 later for the Actual Top thread which Drunka has bumped, I reckon nearly all will be single player story driven games.

Are you sorting out your internet in your new place Balla as we've got fibre-optic in the sticks.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Best Year in Gaming Returns    Best Year in Gaming Returns  - Page 2 EmptyFri 2 Oct 2015 - 8:01

I know I talked about how I don't think story's a big deal in games, and I still don't. It's more about how it's nice to have some progression, by opening up new worlds and new environments; and how it's almost imperative for me to have a proper reason to keep ploughing on, as opposed to "collect ALL the things". Even SM64 had those, and it's not exactly a paragon of good storytelling.

I'll probably get Virgin over at my new place. Fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Best Year in Gaming Returns    Best Year in Gaming Returns  - Page 2 EmptyFri 2 Oct 2015 - 19:31

balla wrote:
Not having the connection to play games that live and die on their online

Sure, the MH games are at their best when played online but I wouldn't say it lives or dies by that, as I love hunting solo as well.

balla wrote:
An emphasis on collecting random crap and using it to upgrade random crap over and above story progression

The story & it's progression is actually the best it has ever been for a MH game with lot's of fun characters to meet along the way & the dialogue is quite funny at times. (At one point you are pulled into a secret egg cartel quest line where it's a not so big secret who the Egg Don is)

---

Also when I said "near perfect" I mean in terms of the MH formula, everything from quests & the story etc are just delivered/paced in a way that keeps you more engaged and feel more part of the world.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Best Year in Gaming Returns    Best Year in Gaming Returns  - Page 2 EmptyFri 2 Oct 2015 - 19:47

Actually this might be the best year as we've had or will have 2 DC games announced and 6 new games hopefully before the end of year.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Best Year in Gaming Returns    Best Year in Gaming Returns  - Page 2 EmptyFri 2 Oct 2015 - 19:55

Best Year in Gaming Returns  - Page 2 Tumblr_leemwgt8cr1qdlkgg

I know you love hunting solo, Jas, but you are the biggest MonFan (geddit, eh, EH!?) on this forum, and therefore that I know full stop. I can't imagine myself getting anywhere near the same amount of fun out of the games without the online, not from what I've heard from others. And "best it's been for an MH game" reads like a significant caveat.

Fortunately there is an MH game coming out that it looks like I'm going to like: Stories.

This is way off-topic but God knows I have barely anything to say on-topic about this year.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Best Year in Gaming Returns    Best Year in Gaming Returns  - Page 2 EmptyFri 2 Oct 2015 - 21:21

balla wrote:
And "best it's been for an MH game" reads like a significant caveat.

To be honest I think I worded that very poorly, the story in previous games in the series were pretty much non-existent but everything else you said there is pretty fair.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Best Year in Gaming Returns    Best Year in Gaming Returns  - Page 2 EmptySat 3 Oct 2015 - 0:19

I think it has been a really solid year as long as you are into PC/PS4/XBONE

If I had a top 5 right now they'd be (in no order)

Her Story: This game should be played by everyone, because you will either love it or hate it. A very cool experiment in playing with what a game actually is, just play it.

Life is Strange: Now obviously this one isn't done yet, but this is the most interactive graphic novel style game (Telltale Games etc) that I've ever played with mechanics which mesh seamlessly with the narrative. The writing is good, the characters are great, and everything feels on point.  

Splatoon, Holy innovation Batman - Turf Wars is the most fun I've had in an online shooter, a wonderful mode where kills are rewarded but not necessarily encouraged as painting the ground is what gets the W. It started off slow, but new things are being added all the time from modes to cosmetics. A gloriously colorful palate, some sick tunes, and a great time every time it's booted up.

MGS V PP: Haven't finished this one either, but the game, even though it has been pushed out early by Konami, is an outstanding achievement. Graphically, it is piss your pants amazing. Probably the first game where daylight without any rain, looks as good - maybe even better - than the wet (which still looks superb). The open world works, there isn't any of that faux-content that litters many open world games, this is a world that sticks to it's theme. And the missions, trying to sneak through them is so intense that I actually appreciate the long walks between guardposts because it lets me relax!

It is definitely different from the other metal gears, and I'm not sure that I put it at the very top of my MGS list (extreme missions and cut content DAMN YOU! ), but it still stands tall alongside its legendary predecessors.

Ori & the Blind Forest: Stylistically sensational 2-d platformer with some jaw-droppingly brilliant escape sequences. The controls are faultless, the world a pleasure to explore, and I can only really criticise it with a few niggles that I see as superfluous to the game - I don't see the point in the rudimentary RPG skill/level up system.

I will pick up Witcher 3 at some point, so that might push something out, as may Pillars of Eternity and Undertale, the latter of which I have heard great things about, the former I have followed since it was a kickstarter project.

Honorable mentions.

Batman, which I played on PC (and it somehow worked!), but while I found the main story incredible in terms of pacing, missions, and the narrative as a whole, some of the side quests were trash, and the boss fights sucked. I'd probably put it behind City, but it is still a really good game.

And finally Darkest Dungeon, which is still in early access but is a crushingly dark and difficult RPG Dungeony thing, in the best possible way. A thematical triumph.

2015 the best year ever? Probably not, but on the whole it has been good.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Best Year in Gaming Returns    Best Year in Gaming Returns  - Page 2 EmptyTue 6 Oct 2015 - 13:42

The_Jaster wrote:
balla wrote:
Not having the connection to play games that live and die on their online

Sure, the MH games are at their best when played in local multiplayer but I wouldn't say it lives or dies by that, as I love hunting solo as well.

FTFY Winky Face
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Best Year in Gaming Returns    Best Year in Gaming Returns  - Page 2 EmptyTue 6 Oct 2015 - 17:27

Apart from my 8 & 4 year old nephews I don't know anyone locally who has a 3ds so, no need for the fix.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Best Year in Gaming Returns    Best Year in Gaming Returns  - Page 2 EmptyMon 25 Jan 2016 - 14:22

Was 2015 good or bad we've talked about it a few times be it here or random, looking back the year was decent I still feel there was no utterly standout game along with some disappointing ones to boot.

But it's time to look forward to this year which the PS4 & Xbox One should be coming into their stride along with VR hitting the market & maybe a New Nintendo System.

As always I've done my 10 most anticipated games in 4 lot's with Xbox, Nintendo, PlayStation and Multi-Format some of these as you may of guessed were done before delays.

Are you all excited for 2016?
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Best Year in Gaming Returns    Best Year in Gaming Returns  - Page 2 EmptyMon 25 Jan 2016 - 15:11

MGSV wasn't a standout game?

I think 2015 was a very solid year. Nintendo gave us a new IP in Splatoon and the excellent fan-dream Super Mario Maker. We got MGSV and Fallout 4 - two of the biggest releases you can probably get in gaming, and both are fantastic games. And then, of course, there was Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Razz

Also Rocket League, it's already a classic
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Best Year in Gaming Returns    Best Year in Gaming Returns  - Page 2 EmptyMon 25 Jan 2016 - 16:22

Aye mas is just his usual crazy self as 2015 was a stonker of a year, personal highlights for me were: Rocket league, PES 2016, Bloodborne, Rainbow Six Siege, MGSV, MH4U & Splatoon. There's no doubt more that are worthy of mentioning but all those I've listed I am still playing or want to get back to & with some almost being close to a year old that really is something else.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Best Year in Gaming Returns    Best Year in Gaming Returns  - Page 2 EmptyMon 25 Jan 2016 - 21:03

I couldn't give a rats ass about Fallout 4 though OR, but it's all opinion and when the Podcast finally goes up you'll know my Top 5 along with Andy, Jay and Drunka which is quite diffent to what you and Jas bring up as there not my sort of thing I'm more about the story & SP which MGSV does have, so does Bloodborne but a Souls-like is yet to ckeck with me maybe Ni-Oh will.

I'm not saying it's a bad year as it's likely better then 2014 but maybe not as good as 2013 for instance as you may know from SONM at the moment with the years thread there.

I don't want to dwell on 2015 though but look towards what's coming this year and why it maybe better or worse.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Best Year in Gaming Returns    Best Year in Gaming Returns  - Page 2 EmptyMon 25 Jan 2016 - 21:29

It was a terrible year from a Nintendo perspective which is all that matters. Hmph.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Best Year in Gaming Returns    Best Year in Gaming Returns  - Page 2 EmptyMon 25 Jan 2016 - 21:32

I think those two say diffenrt though on that front but it was sort so-so as I liked Splatoon but if you live in a world without the internet it's not great game.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Best Year in Gaming Returns    Best Year in Gaming Returns  - Page 2 EmptyMon 25 Jan 2016 - 22:03

I liked 2015 a lot - MGSV, Undertale, Fallout 4... and then I've still got Bloodborne and The Witcher III to play, and Smash 4's DLC sustained me for most of the year too.

I do think 2016 will blow 2015 out of the water, though. There's several games on the horizon I'm very excited to play.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Best Year in Gaming Returns    Best Year in Gaming Returns  - Page 2 EmptyMon 25 Jan 2016 - 22:38

masofdas wrote:
no utterly standout game

You what?

Witcher III, Bloodborne, Life is Strange, Her Story, Splatoon, Batman, Monster Hunter 4, Undertale and Metal Gear Solid V just off the top of my head! Then there's stuff like Xenoblade, which I've not really seen yet, and Fallout 4 which isn't for me but clearly tickled a lot of pickles. This year has been phenomenal. And before you give it your usual "opinion" response, even if none of those lit your world on fire they were all clearly huge enough deals for huge numbers of people that you have to acknowledge they stand out.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Best Year in Gaming Returns    Best Year in Gaming Returns  - Page 2 EmptyTue 26 Jan 2016 - 15:15

When I mean utterly outstanding I'm talking 2007 Bioshock or 2013 The Last of Us or 1999 Ocarina of Time tier of games but again we've gone over 2015 several times, thankfully Jay is looking forward to games this year.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Best Year in Gaming Returns    Best Year in Gaming Returns  - Page 2 EmptyTue 26 Jan 2016 - 16:25

I'm actually less convinced about 2016. Dark Souls III is a maybe, will probably not feel as fresh as Bloodborne, and Zelda will be good if it comes out. There are lots of games I'm excited about, but nothing that'll stand out like Bioshock, Last of Us or Phantom Pain.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Best Year in Gaming Returns    Best Year in Gaming Returns  - Page 2 EmptyTue 26 Jan 2016 - 16:45

Balladeer wrote:
It was a terrible year from a Nintendo perspective which is all that matters.  Hmph.

u wot

Splatoon and Super Mario Maker were standout Nintendo titles, and they bolstered that on the WiiU with Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and Yoshi's Woolly World, which won't change the world but are fun enough games. Meanwhile on 3DS we had Majora's Mask 3D and Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. Trying to find another publisher with just 2 incredibly good games in one year is very difficult, so when you compare against any other company Nintendo are still putting out some great content.

The problem is of course that Nintendo doesn't have the third party games to back it up.

Hopefully 2016 will see Zelda and The Last Guardian as 2 big standout titles.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Best Year in Gaming Returns    Best Year in Gaming Returns  - Page 2 EmptyTue 26 Jan 2016 - 16:46

masofdas wrote:
When I mean utterly outstanding I'm talking 2007 Bioshock or 2013 The Last of Us or 1999 Ocarina of Time tier of games but again we've gone over 2015 several times, thankfully Jay is looking forward to games this year.  

Even so would you say that gamers/media in general haven't heaped the same sort of praise those games got onto the likes of MGSV, Fallout 4, Witcher 3 & Bloodborne? Also we've gone over 2015 several times because you keep bringing it up. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Best Year in Gaming Returns    Best Year in Gaming Returns  - Page 2 EmptyTue 26 Jan 2016 - 16:49

The_Jaster wrote:
Also we've gone over 2015 several times because you keep bringing it up. Laughing

Best Year in Gaming Returns  - Page 2 Giphy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Year in Gaming Returns    Best Year in Gaming Returns  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Best Year in Gaming Returns
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next