Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

(Irrational?) Gaming hatred

Go down 
+11
The_Jaster
Treesmurf
Jimbob
Vidofnir
JayMoyles
masofdas
gjones
Athrun888
Buskalilly
Balladeer
Admin
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

(Irrational?) Gaming hatred Empty
PostSubject: (Irrational?) Gaming hatred   (Irrational?) Gaming hatred EmptyFri 23 Jan 2015 - 22:23

Ever had that one character, game, or even franchise/series/spinoff that just rubs you up the wrong way for no rational reason? Conversely, has any one character, series entry, or plotline won you over to a franchise/series/spinoff that you previously disliked? Or do you feel a character/series whatever gets a bad rap and you secretly like it?

Discuss! (plz.)

I have to say that I've always liked Rayman as a character/series, and I've never particularly understood the hate for the character. None of this Origins/Legends bandwagonry, I've been there since the PSOne days. Though I'd wager that those two games have turned loads of people towards the limbless wonder for good reason.
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: (Irrational?) Gaming hatred   (Irrational?) Gaming hatred EmptySat 24 Jan 2015 - 11:21

I like Falco. His snarky pessimism makes him feel almost British.

All of the characters that I dislike (Sonic, Diddy, Luke Triton), I feel that I can give rational reasons to. (In order: bad by-product of the 90s, bad by-product of the 90s, SHUT UP).
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: (Irrational?) Gaming hatred   (Irrational?) Gaming hatred EmptySat 24 Jan 2015 - 12:22

I was thinking about Falco yesterday when I was playing Smash on random. He's basically Tom Cruise from Top Gun, isn't he? And Fox is boring old Val Kilmer. Yet in SF, we're supposed to route for the iceman and not the maverick. I'm pretty sure that says something about the US and Japanese outlooks on life.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: (Irrational?) Gaming hatred   (Irrational?) Gaming hatred EmptySat 24 Jan 2015 - 13:13

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions.  Everywhere I go it's constantly hailed as this amazing masterpiece of the srpg genre and I just.  Can't.  Stand.  It.  I tried, I really did, but everything about it was just tedious, I hated the characters bores that they were, I hated the gameplay which was mechanically sound, and the less said about the music the better.  

Yet I can't actually deny what people say about it, because when I look at it as objectively as I can, I can see they are kind of right.  That's it's a good game at any rate, you'll never ever ever here me agree that it's the best game of the srpg genre or one of the best of its franchise.

I also don't really like any of the Metroid Prime games.  I've tried to get in to them multiple times with varying amounts of sucess, and both times I ended up dropping them.  I know they get a lot of praise for their design and everything but I just find them tedious bores.  Alas, I can see the points people have about them so all I have is what must be an irrational dislike of them.

Oh, and Chrono Trigger! I absolutely can't stand that game. If you want an rpg where I can't look at it objectively in any way it's that one. And it's kind of puzzling, because on paper it has all the ticks that should make me love it. But I don't, no, I in fact hate the game's very existence.

Finally, some positivity, Xenoblade. Yes, I actually hated that game the first time I played it to an almost irrational level. After getting to the forest boss I dropped the game, and there it stood collecting dust on the shelf for a good year or so before I picked it up again almost on a whim. After spending an hour or two readjusting myself to its battle system I took out the boss, reached Eryth Sea, and from there what was once a hate filled relationship became a thing of passion and obsession. I've loved the game ever since, and while I don't personally subscribe to the view that it's the best of its genre or anything I do believe it's a game that everyone who either loves epic rpgs or owns a wii should play. In fact it's one of the few games I'd put on my (incredibly short) list of games I believe a person must play some time in their life!
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: (Irrational?) Gaming hatred   (Irrational?) Gaming hatred EmptySat 24 Jan 2015 - 14:49

Athrun888 wrote:

I also don't really like any of the Metroid Prime games.  I've tried to get in to them multiple times with varying amounts of sucess, and both times I ended up dropping them.  I know they get a lot of praise for their design and everything but I just find them tedious bores.  Alas, I can see the points people have about them so all I have is what must be an irrational dislike of them.

I felt the same with Prime but it's been a good 10 years since I played the first one. I'm going to give it another chance when it releases on Wii-U next week.

One game that I have tried to enjoy but feel is impossible to reap anything from it, is Ecco the Dolphin. For a game with such a cute, harmless lead, it is brutally difficult. Unnecessarily so.

I like Kirby, but not keen on his games.

Series I previously hated until one entry convinced me otherwise: Resident Evil 4, Virtua Fighter 4, Final Fantasy XII. To be fair, they all changed key components of each series.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: (Irrational?) Gaming hatred   (Irrational?) Gaming hatred EmptySat 24 Jan 2015 - 15:03

gjones wrote:
One game that I have tried to enjoy but feel is impossible to reap anything from it, is Ecco the Dolphin. For a game with such a cute, harmless lead, it is brutally difficult. Unnecessarily so.

Yes! I think this game is a beauty to behold, but it's just so unpleasant to play. Meh

I will also join in the Metroid Prime dislike. It just isn't Metroid to me, I don't care how amazing it apparently is. It just. Ain't. Metroid.

Oh, and I'd say Slippy is a bit irritating, but he's so helpless in the StarFox games that I can't dislike the fella. Falco is a boss. Cool
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: (Irrational?) Gaming hatred   (Irrational?) Gaming hatred EmptySat 24 Jan 2015 - 15:03

I don't hate a lot as games I don't like I can see why people like them.

But really if I have to hate something it be RE5&6 not as there bad Action games but due to ruining one of my favourite series ever that I hate them.

Dudes, I was in GAME the other day looking at Nintendo stuff and behind it is the big Xbox One section and I over heard some dudes talking they were looking at a game. They said something like this is meant to be the best FPS out says Dude1 then the other says but it's not got Multi Player that sucks how is this better then COD & what idiot would buy that then the other agrees etc.

The game was Wolfenstein but what they were talking about really irks me as not every game need multi player shoed in like with Tomb Raider but nope dudes seem to want it.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: (Irrational?) Gaming hatred   (Irrational?) Gaming hatred EmptySat 24 Jan 2015 - 20:00

masofdas wrote:

The game was Wolfenstein but what they were talking about really irks me as not every game need multi player shoed in like with Tomb Raider but nope dudes seem to want it.

Wolfenstein was one of the best FPS games last year too.

I've never really liked Yoshi games. I think I can probably attribute this to playing Yoshi's Island DS before any of the others, because when I went back to play Yoshi's Island on SNES, I found myself really disliking my experience.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: (Irrational?) Gaming hatred   (Irrational?) Gaming hatred EmptySat 24 Jan 2015 - 20:29

I have a soft spot for Yoshi games, even when they're dire, because the hero is just so darned cute. YOSHI!!!

His games have really gone downhill, though. Sad
Back to top Go down
Vidofnir
Flock Step Bird
Vidofnir

PostSubject: Re: (Irrational?) Gaming hatred   (Irrational?) Gaming hatred EmptySat 24 Jan 2015 - 21:01

You know what I hate, I refuse to accept it is irrational. Everyones standards just went out the window.

I also don't like the route Paper Mario and Fire Emblem are going down.

Additionally I hate this generation of pokemon games, its been absolutely dire. Im not even going to finish Sapphire, i've had it with dumbed down difficulty and 'mega evolution'.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: (Irrational?) Gaming hatred   (Irrational?) Gaming hatred EmptySun 25 Jan 2015 - 10:17

Metal Gear Solid. Everyone else says that the story's amazing; all I can think of it SHUT THE HELL UP I WANT TO GET ON WITH PLAYING A VIDEOGAME. Given that I typed that itn capitals, it's almost definitely an irrational feeling.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: (Irrational?) Gaming hatred   (Irrational?) Gaming hatred EmptySun 25 Jan 2015 - 11:49

Jimbob wrote:
Metal Gear Solid. Everyone else says that the story's amazing; all I can think of it SHUT THE HELL UP I WANT TO GET ON WITH PLAYING A VIDEOGAME. Given that I typed that itn capitals, it's almost definitely an irrational feeling.

Agree with Metal Gear Solid. I've always preferred Splinter Cell as a stealth game as the levels are like playgrounds; Metal Gear Solid games have always felt like interactive movies, often not being interactive at all.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: (Irrational?) Gaming hatred   (Irrational?) Gaming hatred EmptySun 25 Jan 2015 - 14:03

Daisy.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: (Irrational?) Gaming hatred   (Irrational?) Gaming hatred EmptySun 25 Jan 2015 - 14:09

gjones wrote:
Jimbob wrote:

Agree with Metal Gear Solid. I've always preferred Splinter Cell as a stealth game as the levels are like playgrounds; Metal Gear Solid games have always felt like interactive movies, often not being interactive at all.

Thankfully they have taken the playground approach for MGS: ground zeroes & Phantom pain.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: (Irrational?) Gaming hatred   (Irrational?) Gaming hatred EmptySun 25 Jan 2015 - 14:17

Treesmurf wrote:
Daisy.

Completely rational.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: (Irrational?) Gaming hatred   (Irrational?) Gaming hatred EmptySun 25 Jan 2015 - 20:20

JayMoyles wrote:
masofdas wrote:

Wolfenstein was one of the best FPS games last year too.

I played it wasn't keen on it but it's the whole every game has to have multi-player now that irks me

Boo everyone about MGS
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: (Irrational?) Gaming hatred   (Irrational?) Gaming hatred EmptyMon 26 Jan 2015 - 12:06

Balladeer wrote:
Treesmurf wrote:
Daisy.

Completely rational.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EDQaHf8cT8

I'm quite surprised we haven't had one particular mention yet...
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: (Irrational?) Gaming hatred   (Irrational?) Gaming hatred EmptyMon 26 Jan 2015 - 12:47

I said Sonic second post!
Back to top Go down
Cube
Garreg Mach Geography Teacher

PostSubject: Re: (Irrational?) Gaming hatred   (Irrational?) Gaming hatred EmptyMon 26 Jan 2015 - 14:07

Burnout Revenge.

I loved Burnout, Burnout 2, Burnout 3 and Burnout Paradise, yet I absolutely hated Burnout Revenge.
Back to top Go down
Gogoata
Copyright Claimed by Nintendo
Gogoata

PostSubject: Re: (Irrational?) Gaming hatred   (Irrational?) Gaming hatred EmptyMon 26 Jan 2015 - 15:20

Fire Types
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: (Irrational?) Gaming hatred   (Irrational?) Gaming hatred EmptyMon 26 Jan 2015 - 15:50

Balladeer wrote:

Nah, not Sonic. Who doesn't like Sonic?

Oh.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: (Irrational?) Gaming hatred   (Irrational?) Gaming hatred EmptyMon 26 Jan 2015 - 18:34

The Wipeout series on PlayStation. I don't know anyone else who doesn't like them, but I think they're rank-rotten. Why on earth would you play these in a world where F-Zero exists? I've given it plenty of chances on PSone, Saturn, N64, PSP and PS Vita, but I think all the ones I've played have been absolutely rubbish.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: (Irrational?) Gaming hatred   (Irrational?) Gaming hatred EmptyMon 26 Jan 2015 - 18:42

Stu_the_great wrote:
Balladeer wrote:

Nah, not Sonic. Who doesn't like Sonic?

Oh.

Dunno who you mean, then. Tingle? We all love Tingle here! Slippy? Pikachu? Bubsy the flipping Bobcat?
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: (Irrational?) Gaming hatred   (Irrational?) Gaming hatred EmptyMon 26 Jan 2015 - 19:02

Cube wrote:
Burnout Revenge.

I loved Burnout, Burnout 2, Burnout 3 and Burnout Paradise, yet I absolutely hated Burnout Revenge.

Really?! I enjoyed all of the Burnouts, and my favourite is Revenge (the 360 one). Great memories of the online, and it refined the additions found in Burnout 3.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: (Irrational?) Gaming hatred   (Irrational?) Gaming hatred EmptyMon 26 Jan 2015 - 23:07

Stu_the_great wrote:
Balladeer wrote:
Treesmurf wrote:
Daisy.

Completely rational.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EDQaHf8cT8

I'm quite surprised we haven't had one particular mention yet...
I managed 7 seconds. Never again.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: (Irrational?) Gaming hatred   (Irrational?) Gaming hatred Empty

Back to top Go down

(Irrational?) Gaming hatred
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next