Detective Pikachu looks like a 10/10 banger and we'll hear nothing to the contrary.

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The Work Thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
Disciple of Aonuma

PostSubject: Re: The Work Thread   Wed 27 Sep 2017 - 19:46

With apologies to GJones (I have about as much to say about data officering as he does about actuaries, I suspect - glad it has its perks, though), I'm going to jump in and redo mine:

So what do you do for a living?  Mostly, I play around with Excel spreadsheets.  Occasionally I write Word documents.  Often my eyes hurt from staring at a screen too much.  Now... pretty much the same actually, only there's more PowerPoint and occasionally I do some programming. Is more fun! No, really.

What's your job title/profession?  Actuary.  Or rather, actuarial student until I pass all the exams.  Essentially, we try to predict future trends by looking at past trends. Qualified actuary woop woop!

How long have you been doing it?  Getting on for 3.5 years now. Six years, current role for almost 2.

Do you enjoy?  I have never deluded myself into thinking that I'm going to "enjoy" my job.  It finances the things that I do enjoy, and provides me with security to prevent me having to do things I'd enjoy less.  Occasionally it's interesting, sometimes even intellectually stimulating.  I do like actuaries as a species, though - although recently, I've not been having such a good time at work, for reasons largely beyond my control. That was my old boss. I now have a new boss, and the stuff I look at is more interesting. I probably still don't "enjoy" my job, but job satisfaction is higher.

Was it what you had planned on doing/studied for?  Nope.  I entered uni. with very little idea of what I wanted to do, had an idea midway through that I might go into academia, and only really admitted to myself in my Masters year that I wasn't bright/motivated enough to do a PhD for minimal money. (This hasn't changed.)

Do you plan to keep at it?  Yup.  Pass the exams and qualify, and I get a whopping great payrise that should allow me a little more freedom. Payrise wasn't that whopping. Still doing it though!

In Gunman Clive 2, Clive rides a panda.  What's your mount of choice?  Something that overbalances all the time.  Let's say an ostrich - they don't look too stable. A Zamtrios. Theresa May can have the wobbly and unstable bird.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Crumpy Andy
Baby Brush God

PostSubject: Re: The Work Thread   Wed 29 Nov 2017 - 20:42

I just handed in my notice today, so now I can reveal the reason I was incredibly busy was that I fell into a bit of a mad job-seeking spiral. I saw an ad online for a job paying way more, doing basically exactly what I currently do (plus it was a 1 click application, so didn't have to actually sit down and do a CV at the time), so I applied and then ended up getting sent around to every Salesforce Partner in the country.

I've now accepted a new job based in London (but also allowing me to work remotely) and will be moving back down south, very exciting times!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: The Work Thread   Wed 29 Nov 2017 - 20:44

Brilliant! So pleased for you. Very Happy Applause
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balladeer
Disciple of Aonuma

PostSubject: Re: The Work Thread   Wed 29 Nov 2017 - 21:47

My man(dy)! Excellent stuff! Apart from anything else, it means we can meet up more than once a year... Where's he running off to?
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: The Work Thread   Wed 29 Nov 2017 - 22:38

Balladeer wrote:
My man(dy)!

You came and you gave without taking... but I sent you away.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jimbob
Dry Metal Baby Princess

PostSubject: Re: The Work Thread   Wed 29 Nov 2017 - 22:56

Nice one Rice.

Nrice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jimbobsonofriber.tumblr.com/
Drunkalilly
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: The Work Thread   Thu 30 Nov 2017 - 0:53

Well done (he says as if he didn't already know all this), now you can save up and buy a nice family home and put a ring on dat finger before you have that inevitable baby.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
The_Jaster
Hero of Time

PostSubject: Re: The Work Thread   Thu 30 Nov 2017 - 2:22

Good stuff Andy. Thumbs Up!

Jimbob wrote:
Nice one Rice.

Nrice.

This made me do a little laugh. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
masofdas
Disciple of Koizumi

PostSubject: Re: The Work Thread   Thu 30 Nov 2017 - 9:32

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rum Rapture
Toad

PostSubject: Re: The Work Thread   Mon 20 Aug 2018 - 21:37

For the lovely Balladeer:

So what do you do for a living? Currently I work at a science centre as one of the presenters. That means I deliver science shows in our in-house theatre as well as science activities for little ones during holidays and weekends, and then during term time we do shows and workshops with an education focus (i.e. they cover curriculum points). I also cover the floors of the centre and help engage visitors with the exhibits - or just tell them where the toilets are.

What's your job title/profession? Science communicator.

How long have you been doing it? This current role, just under a year. I've been working in various sci-comm, presenter, and education officer roles since I graduated five years ago, but a lot of the roles are temporary (they're either seasonal or festival positions). This is the first full-time permanent sci-comm role I've done.

Do you enjoy? I do! By and large. When we're just walking the floors of the centre, it can get a bit dull. But when you're delivering workshops to a class, or shows in the theatre, I really enjoy that. And the programme changes every month, roughly, so I'm delivering different programmes pretty regularly.

Was it what you had planned on doing/studied for? Sort of. I did psychology at uni and ended up doing my senior honours project in primate learning. That meant looking at how learning has evolved in children and other nonhuman primates. So I did research at a zoo as well as at schools and nurseries, and got more interested in the whole science education side of it, having come at it from the approach of "how do kids learn best at different ages?". So really I only had an idea that that was the kind of thing I'd like to do right at the end of my degree. (I did my first sci-comm job during the Easter break of my final year of uni, when I really should have been writing up that project instead.)

Do you plan to keep at it? In the field, yes, but I've just gotten a new job that I'm going to start in just under a month, as an Events Developer for a science charity. Which is exciting! It's a step up in that I will be developing new content rather than only delivering it. It'll be a change of pace, but hopefully challenging in a good way, and it also means more dollah.

In Gunman Clive 2, Clive rides a panda.  What's your mount of choice? Jon Hamm.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://twitter.com/cww_george
Balladeer
Disciple of Aonuma

PostSubject: Re: The Work Thread   Mon 20 Aug 2018 - 22:07

I think I had some inkling that's what you did - or knew it was to do with science and events anyhoo. Does sound like the new role will be a substantial step up, but a fun one! Rather than, 'Now you've been promoted, please spend every waking hour of your life in meetings.' Hope you enjoy sir. Smile
Back to top Go down
gjones
Bandana Waddle Dee

PostSubject: Re: The Work Thread   Thu 1 Nov 2018 - 20:02

I figured I'd update some of the you fellas on here. I recently accepted a job in London and will be moving back to my parents (in Kent) and commuting. This is primarily due to the amount of debt I have and can't sustain my current setup, which is driving Cardiff to Bristol every day. This is a temporary measure until I find my own place.

The actual role is similar to what I do at the moment in Bristol, but is more money and at London Business School (ie. bit swankier) working in their fundraising/alumni team. I'm looking forward to it, but as there'll be an hour on the train each way, I'm debating swapping the PS4 for a Switch. Does anybody use their Switch on a commute?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NintenDUCK
Bandana Waddle Dee

PostSubject: Re: The Work Thread   Thu 1 Nov 2018 - 21:21

Congrats on the upward momentum! Applause Applause
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balladeer
Disciple of Aonuma

PostSubject: Re: The Work Thread   Thu 1 Nov 2018 - 21:35

Congratulations on the job/promotion-type thing GJones! But sorry about the parents thing.

I definitely do use the Switch, on tube and train. Is it the ideal travelling companion? No: it can't be stuffed neatly into a pocket, so there's a lot of 'blast I'm nearly there, unplug headphones, open rucksack, open case, shove in Switch, shove in headphones, close everything, oh I'm behind everybody else to get off'. But the magic of playing Odyssey, or BotW, or XC2 if you're into that genre on the train more than makes up for it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Work Thread   

Back to top Go down

The Work Thread
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2