We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other

Go down 
+15
Balladeer
OrangeRakoon
Buskalilly
masofdas
Muss
Crumpy Andy
gjones
Kriken
EofGizmo
fronkhead
Rum
The Cappuccino Kid
Treesmurf
Jimbob
The_Jaster
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 25 ... 38  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 12 EmptyTue 26 Feb 2019 - 14:04

Hmm see I don't think I have as I still rated Pokémon, Kart, Odyssey and Splatoon all highly with only BotW and Xenoblade really getting the boot from what I can.

Why FIFA is rated higher than BotW is I enjoyed my 30hrs with it and going from Exeter to Napoli and at the time was the best portable FIFA.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 12 EmptyTue 26 Feb 2019 - 14:08

masofdas wrote:
what do you think is bad taste

I could bring up Celeste, ARMS and Gorogoa but honestly the Zelda thing is enough. If I could, I'd have you and Andy locked up for that. Disgusting behaviour.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 12 EmptyTue 26 Feb 2019 - 14:38

Of course no one is going to admit they have bad taste (and I'm not trying to make you do that btw) as it's all subjective anyway & you did rate some games highly with a few I totally agree on but those alone won't make me think you don't have bad taste. As I said you like what you like and the world would be a boring place if everyone agreed on everything all the time.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 12 EmptyTue 26 Feb 2019 - 15:32

I did admit I rated Celeste to low but I stand by ARMS and Gorogoa.

Yeah you are correct Jas and like I said a few posts ago you all know after all these years what I like and don't like. However if I didn't put scores and put maybe in order instead with Super Mario Odyssey as Number 1 Switch game, FIFA at Number 20 or something might have looked more normal part from BotW being about second to bottom.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 12 EmptyTue 26 Feb 2019 - 17:00

Excellent post Drunka! Applause

This is going to be nowhere near as good, but sure, I'll give the same thing a shot:

My games:

Last edited by Balladeer on Mon 4 Mar 2019 - 20:10; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Picross S: the S stands for SHITE)
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 12 EmptyTue 26 Feb 2019 - 17:57

Only a 4 for Final Fantasy IX that's a utter joke that makes my opinion on BotW seem normal.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 12 EmptyTue 26 Feb 2019 - 18:05

Balla wrote:

Hyper Light Drifter
Another attempt at making something Souls-esque that appeals to Balla, with a technopunk (is that a thing?) style and being like a 2D Zelda this time.  Fast and fluid, I really like the feel of this.  Keen to play more.
Jaster/10

That's the best rating system going. Smile I'm not really putting massive amounts of time into any Switch games at the minute but if I do it'll probably be this.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 12 EmptyTue 26 Feb 2019 - 20:45

You didn't half stick the boot into some of those games Balla! Shocked

TWEWY is an interesting one as the combat in the Switch version really is a pale imitation of the DS original and I think the dual screen combat made up a large part of the charm and innovation. There's some neat ideas in there, but the fact that even I haven't bothered to push through to BRAND NEW TWEWY content because I've found the Switch version to be fiddly should be telling. Buy it on DS instead.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 12 EmptyWed 27 Feb 2019 - 0:32

masofdas wrote:
Only a 4 for Final Fantasy IX that's a utter joke that makes my opinion on BotW seem normal.

Yeah, everyone has some mad opinions. Complaining about Breath of the Wild just happens to be the one that sets me off. It's like Bucky's code words from Winter Soldier.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 12 EmptyWed 27 Feb 2019 - 9:51

Least I can give about 10 or so reasons why I think BotW isn't that great, beyond it's old.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 12 EmptyWed 27 Feb 2019 - 9:52

Balla, it sounds like you keep buying games in genres you don't enjoy and then only play the opening level of them Razz

I really don't see the Zelda comparison in Owlboy though. I also think it's very average gameplay (I just love the stunning art), but never once did I think it was like Zelda, or even in the same genre.
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 12 EmptyWed 27 Feb 2019 - 12:15

Drunkalilly wrote:
Yeah, everyone has some mad opinions. Complaining about Breath of the Wild just happens to be the one that sets me off. It's like Bucky's code words from Winter Soldier.

I think I might have activated the Chris-Mas soldier...

masofdas wrote:
Least I can give about 10 or so reasons why I think BotW isn't that great, beyond it's old.

Balladeer wrote:
Thus far I've yet to be grabbed.  I've heard good things about the characters, but Zidane's a berk, Garnet's a generic princess, and Steiner's a literal white knight (1 or 3 depending).  (I would give Vivi All The Hugs, mind.)  The boss battles are nails (2), the dungeons are funny (3), and the visuals retain their PS1 roots (4) enough to give me a headache (5 - old is different from painful).  I still intend to give it a chance, but... hmm.

I mean, I can give a couple of others, but do read what I've written up there first, and also what I'm about to write below.

JayMoyles wrote:
You didn't half stick the boot into some of those games Balla! Shocked

I don't really think so!  Looking back over I think I've been quite optimistic.  This links into the above, I think: when I give a game 5/10, I'm genuinely saying that I found it (I used this one too many times above, but...) bang-average.  6/10's better than average, 7/10's a flawed recommendation.  4/10 is below average but still with fun bits; or a game I haven't played enough of to grade outside the 4-6 range, but haven't really enjoyed so far.

Most of the games I've played are 6 and above I think, which is what you'd hope!  And a lot of the games that aren't, I wouldn't generally slap numbers on because I haven't played enough of them.  I'm just doing so for this post.

OrangeRakoon wrote:
Balla, it sounds like you keep buying games in genres you don't enjoy and then only play the opening level of them Razz

I really don't see the Zelda comparison in Owlboy though. I also think it's very average gameplay (I just love the stunning art), but never once did I think it was like Zelda, or even in the same genre.

At least I'm giving things a go I guess!  I think most of the games I buy are in genres I generally enjoy: Metroidvanias, JRPGs, action adventure.  I did try a few more genres nearer the Switch's launch, but more often than not, my initial prejudice was confirmed or other games in genres I like more got in the way.  (Although you have reminded me that I forgot to mention Lumines above, which was a daft buy on my part.)

It's not a one-to-one comparison, but it's what Owlboy reminded me of.  The dungeons, their puzzles, their bosses: it all reminded me of a 2D Zelda, the side-on perspective negated by Owlboy's ability to fly to the top of the rooms.  Why, what did you feel it was?
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 12 EmptyWed 27 Feb 2019 - 15:00

I'd say it's an action-rpg maybe, action as a catch-all because while it has some platforming there isn't enough (given flight) to make it a platformer and because action is a catch-all genre in general. RPG because it's heavily story driven and the plot in general would fit right in that genre. I know some reviewers called it a metroidvania, but the gameplay never got close to that complex to me, even if it has a few elements. Same goes with puzzles.

I just don't see enough of the Zelda hallmarks in its design, even though you can also say Zelda is an action-rpg with puzzles and some metroidvania like design I suppose!
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 12 EmptyWed 27 Feb 2019 - 20:06

Balladeer wrote:
One of my games:
Yes - that's the key thing there. If you play it to try and get to the end, you're doing it wrong. I nearly found myself doing that with Horizon Zero Dawn, but thankfully the world started to grab me, and I'm very pleased I'm doing it unwrong.

I'm very tempted to jump on the Drunka-wagon and do this myself - I'm going to try and keep it minimalist though I think
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 12 EmptyWed 27 Feb 2019 - 20:40

There is no wrong way to play a game, it's what you enjoy and HZD I just did the campaign yet still think it's brilliant.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 12 EmptyWed 27 Feb 2019 - 21:11

Here's mine, if you're interested. I didn't include demos, betas or anything I played on anyone else's Switch. Put in order of what I played last, to what I played, er, last:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 12 EmptyWed 27 Feb 2019 - 22:41

Wow, you played a lot of stuff!

That was a neat summation of Let's Go.
And let's all pour one out for ARMS.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 12 EmptyThu 28 Feb 2019 - 0:22

Did we play Flip Wars at the meet-up? The fact I can't remember should likely say it all. Laughing

I like your ratings system - might incorporate that for my big Switch write-up as I was growing very bored of giving each game a score in my list.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 12 EmptyThu 28 Feb 2019 - 17:28

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
Row, row, row yet baws gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, I should play this more. Thumbs Up!

Found the best one!

OrangeRakoon wrote:
I'd say it's an action-rpg maybe, action as a catch-all because while it has some platforming there isn't enough (given flight) to make it a platformer and because action is a catch-all genre in general. RPG because it's heavily story driven and the plot in general would fit right in that genre. I know some reviewers called it a metroidvania, but the gameplay never got close to that complex to me, even if it has a few elements. Same goes with puzzles.

I just don't see enough of the Zelda hallmarks in its design, even though you can also say Zelda is an action-rpg with puzzles and some metroidvania like design I suppose!

It's definitely not a Metroidvania, and doesn't have enough numbers for me to think about it as an RPG (although I can see where you're coming from). Action-adventure feels close enough, and that's exactly what I group Zelda in as too.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 12 EmptyFri 1 Mar 2019 - 9:43

Yet right above we have Cap calling it a Metroidvania Razz

[/genrechat]
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 12 EmptyFri 1 Mar 2019 - 15:00

Everything is like Dark Souls these days anyway so in a round about way everything is also a Metroidvania. Winky Face
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 12 EmptyFri 1 Mar 2019 - 16:31

I literally can't argue with that
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 12 EmptySat 2 Mar 2019 - 17:27

(chases Jas around with a big stick) PRAISE THIS YA NUMPTY
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 12 EmptySun 3 Mar 2019 - 1:24

He's not wrong. Breath of the Wild was a Dark Souls-like Metroidvania with roguelike elements. Just needs a battle royale mode and it'll be a good game.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 12 EmptySun 3 Mar 2019 - 21:09

I'd play the shit out of a Zelda BR game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other    I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other  - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

I'm a Switch, I'm a Lover, Talk About It With Each Other
Page 12 of 38Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 25 ... 38  Next