Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Over rated / Under rated Games

Go down 
+20
The Christ
shanks
Vidofnir
Treesmurf
fronkhead
Rum
beemoh
Cube
ZeroJones
NintenDUCK
Jimbob
The_Jaster
Balladeer
Athrun888
The Cappuccino Kid
Dusty Knackers
Crumpy Andy
JayMoyles
Buskalilly
masofdas
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

Over rated / Under rated Games - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games - Page 7 EmptySat 7 Feb 2015 - 0:07

I think you're neglecting how the story intertwined with the game itself, and I'll think you'll find the movie to be lacking in some areas - sure, the actual script is great, but the atmosphere and the immersion you get playing through the game just can't be replicated in a movie theatre. You can't have Joel creeping about for ten minutes, taking out infected, knowing that one misstep could undo all that stealth - you can't have that on the silver screen because it'd make for bad cinema.

Andy's right - the game's bang on, and lives up to its praise.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games - Page 7 EmptySat 7 Feb 2015 - 0:16

I'm hoping Neil Druckmann can pull it off with the films script.

I think the game will be remembered for what it's done for the industry but everyone like I said seems to think it's the second coming of Christ which it isn't.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games - Page 7 EmptySat 7 Feb 2015 - 0:20

I think it'll feature in a lot of best games of the decade lists in 5 years time - rightfully so, too!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games - Page 7 EmptySat 7 Feb 2015 - 0:27

Yeah it will I'm not saying it won't but I just think it's over-rated, like how Andy thinks everyone that puts OoT as the best game ever hasn't played it since it came out and all have the thickest pair of rose tinted glasses on but guess what it will always be up there & so will last of us no matter what either of us thinks of either game.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games - Page 7 EmptySat 7 Feb 2015 - 6:33

I think Jay has summed it up in a way that I never could. It really is a game that deserves its praise, I'll probably return to it time and time again because the gameplay really is fun and challenging alone.
Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games - Page 7 EmptySat 7 Feb 2015 - 6:51

masofdas wrote:
Not sure if I've said before but The Last of Us for over-rated, it's not the second coming of Christ as some seem to make out it is.

I played The Last of Us all the way through late last year and it truly is an excellent game, exceptional quality and a great story, with characters not so one dimensional. It took me about 22 hours to get through it. However, I really had to force myself to complete it. I quit at about 30% because I wasn't having a lot of fun. I went back through prodding of friends who kept telling me the story really picked up at 50% and was worth it. Thing is, for me, it really wasn't. The ending seemed anti-climatic. I don't regret playing it and I highly recommend it to just about anyone, but I really found it a slog and had to push myself to keep going.

Still, it was far more fun than Demon and Dark Souls. They were just painful. I really wanted to like them, but guess what, dying repeatedly isn't fun. I don't get the attraction and I have at least one close friend who lives for it and is as elitist as they come about it - 'you're not a real gamer unless you play through Dark Souls' stuff. Screw that, where is the fun? Why can't it have better difficulty levels and save points? You don't have to use them if you don't want to. Imagine Fire Emblem on the hardest level and that is the only level you have, no save points during chapters? That would be horrible, but I like the option to give that a go.
Back to top Go down
http://aspergamer.webs.com/apps/forums/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games - Page 7 EmptySat 7 Feb 2015 - 8:20

oldschool wrote:
Still, it was far more fun than Demon and Dark Souls. They were just painful.

Blasphemy!

oldschool wrote:
have at least one close friend who lives for it and is as elitist as they come about it - 'you're not a real gamer unless you play through Dark Souls' stuff. Screw that, where is the fun? Why can't it have better difficulty levels and save points?

Well, that's not going to help, is it? The fact it doesn't have save points is a good thing in my book, just imagine if each bonfire was a save point you could basically play for hours and not make any progress or even miss a "save point" at least with auto save being there you can (make progress) even if it only happens to be a little bit or even stop if you become overly frustrated/lost.

As for the fun & difficulty part this probably explains it better than I ever could.

http://www.gamesradar.com/why-dark-souls-friendliest-most-benevolent-game-its-generation/

Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games - Page 7 EmptySat 7 Feb 2015 - 9:42

What school said about TLoU kinda sums up for me as well and why it's over-rated.

There's lot's of games I think are over-rated but TLoU I think is the most ever.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games - Page 7 EmptySat 7 Feb 2015 - 12:55

Fair enough Mas - I wholeheartedly disagree with you though as mentioned above. I'll stand by what I've said of the game - it deserves its praise.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games - Page 7 EmptyFri 13 Feb 2015 - 12:38

So of these fit the under-rated part of the title
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games - Page 7 EmptySun 15 Feb 2015 - 9:59

masofdas wrote:
So of these fit the under-rated part of the title
Actually... as I was watching that.. I don't know if that's true. Those games as "cult classics" are highly rated by the people that know them (and usually rightly so); it's just that they're not that well known.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games - Page 7 EmptyThu 21 May 2015 - 19:36

But because there not well known and are now cult classic there under-rated surely or have they become so much of a cult classic like Beyond Good & Evil that everyone including me says it's so good that it's now over-rated.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games - Page 7 EmptyThu 8 Sep 2016 - 13:29

Hey look, I found this thread!

And I'd like to add Earthbound to the over-rated section of it, because apparently I love being an ire-magnet (my last suggestion was Dark Souls despite not having played it). It's the sort of game that would work perfectly if you could separate the quirky story, setting, and characters out from the archaic combat, dull dungeon design, and the necessity of grinding. But you can't.

Bravely Second and Xenoblade X can go under under-rated from me, not seen nearly enough people championing them as they deserve. XCX was a flawed game, sure, but didn't deserve to be as thoroughly ignored as it was. Second had hardly any flaws.

Also how many people have played Yo-Kai Watch on this forum? Me, Zero, ...? I struggle to say it's 'under-rated' because it sold gangbusters out East, but it's certainly under-rated on here (and on Nintendo Life). Not mind-blowing, but fun, and deserves better than it's got.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games - Page 7 EmptyThu 8 Sep 2016 - 13:36

Can't agree with you on Xeno X, that game is probably my biggest gaming disappointment. It's a 6/10 at best.

Agreed on Earthbound though, that game is yawnsville.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games - Page 7 EmptyThu 8 Sep 2016 - 13:48

Xenoblade Chronicles X would be the first game I pick up if I find a Wii-U going cheap. It’s a shame it was largely ignored despite positive reviews. Maybe we’ll get an NX port (Xenoblade Chronicles NX?) that will reach a bit wider audience.

I can’t comment on the other two 3DS games as I have no interest in them. Well, I’d be interested in Bravely Second, but would want to play Bravely Default first. Which would mean leaving my family as that’s going to be a ton of hours. Not played Earthbound and while I hear its great, it’s not on my immediate list of games to play.

I’m going to be controversial and say Metal Gear Solid is overrated. Obviously, I didn’t play it at the time so some of its impact may be lost on me, but having played Twin Snakes (all of the first disc, at least), I did wonder what all the fuss was about. There’s some clever moments (breaking the fourth wall for instance) but I’ve always found Splinter Cell’s approach to stealth gameplay much more rewarding. MGS felt more like a Hollywood thriller made in to a game, rather than the other way round. I always feel like I’ve missed out on a large chunk of gaming history, given the sequels are all highly regarded too. Maybe I’ll revisit it someday.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games - Page 7 EmptyThu 8 Sep 2016 - 14:48

Play MGS3 play MGS3 play MGS3 play MGS3
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games - Page 7 EmptyThu 8 Sep 2016 - 18:04

Or MGSV as it has some of the elements along with more gaming elements from big open world action games

Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games - Page 7 EmptyThu 8 Sep 2016 - 18:54

I'll never forgive Xenoblade X for its post-end credits cutscene.  Never.

Chapter 11 was good, possibly the best part of either Xenoblade games, but that post-credits cutscene, I'm sorry but that was unforgivable.  

SUPER MASSIVE ULTRA SPOILERS OF ALL THE PLOT TWISTS DO NOT OPEN IF YOU EVEN THINK YOU WILL PLAY THE GAME:

Absolutely ridiculous.  The game was fine but once that little nugget dawned on me I developed a seething hatred for the game's story.  Endings are paramount in a story, you completely botch one and it doesn't matter whether you were spinning the greatest story ever told, it gets reduced to s***.  And Xenoblade X didn't even have that good a story, it was serviceable with some fantastic if incredibly rare highs.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games - Page 7 EmptyThu 8 Sep 2016 - 19:08

Exactly. I never finished the game, but the main story wouldn't be ruined for me by a shoddy ending - because it was already pish to begin with.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games - Page 7 EmptyThu 8 Sep 2016 - 20:17

Oh trust me, this is one of those cases one can think something can't get worse and then it somehow does.

The post-credits cutscene was just astounding in how bad it was. It takes real talent to create a three minute cutscene that actually renders the entire story up to that point moot, literally moot. Who on earth thought that plot twist was a good idea? And to unload it as a cliffhanger to a story that is very likely not getting a continuation no less?

A meh story is one thing, but when you create a plot twist that makes the players investment literally one hundred percent irrelevant to how things panned out, when you make absolutely every single part of the game on every single level irrelevant, well, lets just say anyone that pulls that feat off should probably consider not making another story for a video game.

I could probably continue to waffle on about this, about how much Xenoblade X managed to take borderline fanboy levels of passion and turn them in to hatred that borders on loathing, but honestly I think that alone says enough about how dire that ending was.

As for it being underrated or overrated, frankly it sits where it belongs: forgotten and ignored.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games - Page 7 EmptyThu 8 Sep 2016 - 23:58

Balladeer wrote:

And I'd like to add Earthbound to the over-rated section of it, because apparently I love being an ire-magnet (my last suggestion was Dark Souls despite not having played it).  It's the sort of game that would work perfectly if you could separate the quirky story, setting, and characters out from the archaic combat, dull dungeon design, and the necessity of grinding.  But you can't.

Crumpy Andy wrote:
Agreed on Earthbound though, that game is yawnsville.

You're both dead to me.

In a more serious rebuttal, I don't think it's as widely lauded as you both think to class it as being overrated and even when it is being praised, it's nearly always mentioned that its battle system and need for grinding are an unfortunate low point tied into the fact that it's a 90s RPG when this was the done thing. As for the dungeon design... I can't name any JRPG I've played that I'd point and say had great and memorable dungeon design.

In my eyes, you play an RPG for the story first, and the gameplay comes second. Is Earthbound dated from a gameplay standpoint? Absolutely! Mother 3 brought it into the modern era whilst still retaining the core feel of the battle system. Is Earthbound still a memorable experience from looking at its setting and dialogue? Absolutely. And I hardly think it's fair to say that its story aspects - setting, characters, dialogue - are overrated.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games - Page 7 EmptyFri 9 Sep 2016 - 6:35

Jay is spot on about EarthBound. I must add that I like grinding, though. Winky Face

My new underrated vote is Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo. A great little platformer on the 3DS eShop that it sometimes feel like only I played.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games - Page 7 EmptyFri 9 Sep 2016 - 6:57

I played it Zero, it was just sub par and not worth mentioning. Was nice for a day when I felt too rough for anything proper though Razz
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games - Page 7 EmptyFri 9 Sep 2016 - 8:40

I agree it was pretty simplistic but sub-par is a bit harsh - I would say 'birdie' (anything more would be overstating the case). It made a lot of the elements it had, for me, and was good fun. Beat my expectations, anyway.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games - Page 7 EmptyFri 16 Sep 2016 - 2:54

I'll put my name in that hat Zero, I had plenty of fun with Super Little Acorns. There was plenty of replayability in it and really good to play in short bursts, well worth a spot on anyone's 3DS.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Over rated / Under rated Games   Over rated / Under rated Games - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Over rated / Under rated Games
Page 7 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next