We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*

Go down 
+18
Fancy Fancy
mandlecreed
Jimbob
Cube
shanks
Dusty Knackers
Admin
Buskalilly
Treesmurf
Crumpy Andy
masofdas
The_Jaster
ZeroJones
JayMoyles
beemoh
Athrun888
Balladeer
The Cappuccino Kid
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Cube
Garreg Mach Geography Teacher

Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 11 EmptyMon 21 Oct 2013 - 20:56

masofdas wrote:
bound to be one on the one
While I think it would be funny if Sony funded the fourth one for the PS4 (Epic own it, not Microsoft), I think it would be a step too far. The third one was good, but the franchise never seemed like a long-lasting one that could withstand a load of games. It felt done and dusted and it should just stay like that.

A "spiritual successor" should be made instead. Something similar (but with some new stuff) with completely different settings, characters and story.[/quote]

Last edited by Cube on Mon 21 Oct 2013 - 21:18; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 11 EmptyMon 21 Oct 2013 - 21:01

I thought the deal was kinda like Halo, that Microsoft owns the gears of war IP.
Back to top Go down
Cube

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 11 EmptyMon 21 Oct 2013 - 21:19

While Microsoft publish (and own) the individual games, Epic Games own the IP. With Halo, they completely own it.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 11 EmptyMon 21 Oct 2013 - 21:21

So 1, 2, 3 and Judgement won't be on PS4 or anything but a gears of war 4 could be. If MSoft have any sense they'll wright EPIC a nice cheque to make next exclusive.
Back to top Go down
Cube

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 11 EmptyMon 21 Oct 2013 - 22:31

I completely forgot that Judgement existed until you mentioned it.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 11 EmptyMon 21 Oct 2013 - 23:28

I really hate the fact that every IP needs to become a franchise these days. I think that's why Naughty Dog is one of my favourite developers - spends some time with a series, then moves on when it runs its course.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 11 EmptyTue 22 Oct 2013 - 7:41

That would probably depend on the project though for example you're not going to see sequels to last of us.

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 11 EmptyTue 22 Oct 2013 - 8:11

I thought they were already talking about DLC for that. That's how it begins, and before you know it, there's some More Of Us.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 11 EmptyTue 22 Oct 2013 - 8:21

Yeah there is DLC coming but given the way the main story ends I don't see a sequel coming, not with the same protagonist anyway.

They seem to have made it in such a way where if they have more stories to tell then it would be via DLC & not direct sequels.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 11 EmptyTue 22 Oct 2013 - 8:43

Nintendo should do one-off things a lot more. The current practice of making a game and seeing what IP fits it has meant loads of complaints of overuse of certain characters and underuse of others. I can't help but feel that some games would have had an easier ride otherwise, such as Paper Mario Sticker Star.
Back to top Go down
Cube

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 11 EmptyTue 22 Oct 2013 - 10:17

The_Jaster wrote:
Yeah there is DLC coming but given the way the main story ends I don't see a sequel coming, not with the same protagonist anyway.
But they could have stories with different characters in other parts of the world (which I hope the DLC is). They even did The Last of Us artwork for the UK, such as:

Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 11 Brighton21
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 11 EmptyTue 22 Oct 2013 - 11:11

It's not just games though, it's the same with films and everything else. So much money goes into making these things, the moneymen are more and more scared to take risks.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 11 EmptyTue 22 Oct 2013 - 13:09

Which is disappointing, as it severely restricts new IPs coming along.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 11 EmptyTue 22 Oct 2013 - 15:30

I would put money on there's another game with last of us in the title.
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 11 EmptyTue 22 Oct 2013 - 15:56

I was thinking about this very subject, and I might keep much of the meat of my rumination to myself so I can use it to do a proper opinion piece over on BitParade, but I think the problem is that rather than bankable series being 'wallpaper' as they are in TV, they're always massive deals.

Unless there's a big event, CSI, EastEnders, even X Factor and Big Brother don't see the marketing totally new series get, as they're big enough to sort of market themselves. Meanwhile in games GTA, Call of Duty and the Nintendo franchises get this ridiculous blanket coverage and marketing and for the most part new IP gets sent to die- or at best will never really emerge from the status of 'cult'.

That's not to say there aren't series quietly chuntering along in the background (The fact there's another Harvest Moon so soon snuck up on me) but these are very much the exception.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 11 EmptyTue 22 Oct 2013 - 17:05

beemoh wrote:
Unless there's a big event, CSI, EastEnders, even X Factor and Big Brother don't see the marketing totally new series get, as they're big enough to sort of market themselves. Meanwhile in games GTA, Call of Duty and the Nintendo franchises get this ridiculous blanket coverage and marketing and for the most part new IP gets sent to die- or at best will never really emerge from the status of 'cult'.
That's totally true, interesting observation. Same could be applied to films, with the blockbusters getting the megabucks advertising campaigns.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 11 EmptyWed 23 Oct 2013 - 13:51

EDGE's reader's have sent in there votes for the 20 best game of all time due to EDGE having a anniversary.

Here is the top 20:

20 – World of Warcraft, Big impact on gaming but not for me
19 – Marjoa’s Mask, better zelda's out there
18 – Vice City, boo GTA boo but respect it being here but wasn't san andreas better
17 – Chrono Trigger, not played but know it's suppose to be good
16 – Portal, amazing game was the £40 for orange box on it's own
15 – Red Dead Redemption, if you have watched my video you know highly i think of this
14 – Bioshock, same as red dead best action 1st person rpg shooter thing
13 – Ico, reason I had a PS2
12 – The Last of Us, to soon I think and not that good there's been better this year
11- Dark Souls, only game that shouldn't defiantly not be near this list
10 – Super Mario Galaxy, didn't like the controls and wouldn't be in my top 25 mario games because of that
9 – Metal Gear Solid, best in the MGS series and helped the playstation reach the heights it did
8 – Shadow of the Colossus, same as ICO but this is better
7 – Goldeneye, showed FPS's could be done on a console and licensed games aswell
6 – Halo, this took showing FPS's can be done on console and revolutionized them
5 – RE4, not the best in the series imo but still a great game
4 – Final Fantasy VII, IX is better but this one did the same as MGS made the PS1 what it was and took 2D to 3D for JRPGS
3 – Half Life 2, Not a fan but can understand why it's here but would put lower on objective list if i was to do one
2 – Super Mario 64, My fav Mario, was the bench mark of 3D platformers and showed the world how to go from 2D to 3D era
1 – Ocarina of Time, not my fav zelda but still a amazing game and would be on most list and it's stood the test of time so well

Last edited by masofdas on Wed 23 Oct 2013 - 15:13; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 11 EmptyWed 23 Oct 2013 - 14:41

Some Edge readers are clearly idiots. The rest are Chrono Trigger fans.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 11 EmptyWed 23 Oct 2013 - 14:57

I'll go through each one with my thoughts.

20 – World of Warcraft: Yep, huge impact on gaming world and undeniably addictive.
19 – Majora’s Mask: Eh, there are better Zeldas out there in my opinion, but still a belter.
18 – Vice City: Best GTA, worth the inclusion.
17 – Chrono Trigger: Never played it.
16 – Portal: Yeah, solid entry.
15 – Red Dead Redemption: Chuffed to see this here, quality title.
14 – Bioshock: No brainer, best FPS of recent years.
13 – Ico: Brilliant, one of the PS2's best, definitely worth a nod.
12 – The Last of Us: Hmm... perhaps a bit soon for this to be included.
11- Dark Souls: Nope.
10 – Super Mario Galaxy: Should be higher, but yep!
9 – Metal Gear Solid: MGS3 is better.
8 – Shadow of the Colossus: No brainer.
7 – Goldeneye: NO.
6 – Halo: I'd argue Halo 2 should be here instead, and definitely lower.
5 – RE4: Solid solid game, worth it.
4 – Final Fantasy VII: Nope, there are better Final Fantasy games.
3 – Half Life 2: Easily worth the entry, cracking FPS.
2 – Super Mario 64: Not for me, but I can understand its inclusion.
1 – Ocarina of Time: Same as SM64 - it's still quality though.

Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 11 EmptyWed 23 Oct 2013 - 15:01

Going to edit my post to have thought's like you Moyles.
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 11 EmptyWed 23 Oct 2013 - 15:11

A while ago, Edge did a "Best 100 Games To Play Now", stating that that would be a different criteria to "Best Games Ever". Which is this meant to be?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 11 EmptyWed 23 Oct 2013 - 15:14

This was a readers vote, I don't know how many people read EDGE but that many think those 20 best games ever.
Back to top Go down
Cube

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 11 EmptyWed 23 Oct 2013 - 15:20

20 – World of Warcraft - Don't like it, but I understand the impact.
19 – Marjoa’s Mask - The second best Zelda game (after Wind Waker).
18 – Vice City - Never played it was out. Tried it recently and couldn't get into it. Just too dated.
17 – Chrono Trigger - Never played it.
16 – Portal - It should be Portal 2, but it stands.
15 – Red Dead Redemption - Well deserved. Loved the game.
14 – Bioshock - Brilliang game, also deserved.
13 – Ico - This game was terrible. There's no way it should be here.
12 – The Last of Us - Utterly phenomenal game.
11- Dark Souls - Tried the first one (Deamon's Souls) and hated it.
10 – Super Mario Galaxy - It isn't even the best platformer on the Wii
9 – Metal Gear Solid - If you include The Twin Snakes , yes.
8 – Shadow of the Colossus - The game was outstanding. It definitely should be here.
7 – Goldeneye - I would have put Perfect Dark, but sure.
6 – Halo - I can understand it's inclusion.
5 – Resident Evil 4 - It was good. But not this good.
4 – Final Fantasy VII - No. Just No.
3 – Half Life 2 - Yup, brilliant game.
2 – Super Mario 64 - It's well deserved. Although it should be below Banjo-Kazooie.
1 – Ocarina of Time - I can understand why. It's far from my favourite Zelda.

You can tell that the readers are pretty young, with none of the great Mega Drive/NES/SNES games appearing (Sonic 1 or 2 should have definitely appeared).
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 11 EmptyWed 23 Oct 2013 - 15:22

also no shenmue's
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 11 EmptyWed 23 Oct 2013 - 15:26

Well if everyone is jumping on that:

20 – World of Warcraft: Top 20? Are you having a laugh!
19 – Marjora’s Mask: Doesn't even make my top 20 Zelda games
18 – Vice City: Never played it, but is it really better than 5? If so I might give it a shot
17 – Chrono Trigger: Best old school RPG of all time, drop that rubbish pokemon stuff and get on this.
16 – Portal: It's alright, there are better puzzle games that could make the list.
15 – Red Dead Redemption: Beautiful game and I can't argue with it being here.
14 – Bioshock: Once again a cracking game that has well and truly earnt its place here.
13 – Ico: I found this pretty boring, I've certainly had no real urge to go back to it.
12 – The Last of Us: can't argue with that, one of the finest games of the gen.
11- Dark Souls: I haven't played it but if it's like Demon's Souls it should fall right off of this list.
10 – Super Mario Galaxy: Of course this deserves to make a top everything list, it's marvelous.
9 – Metal Gear Solid: I will be giving it a second try soon but if my first attempt is anything to go by it shouldn't be here.
8 – Shadow of the Colossus: It's a nice enough game but not that nice.
7 – Goldeneye: No.
6 – Halo: No, I really don't like the Halos much, 4 was getting better but the guns are just naff.
5 – RE4: Can't argue with that.
4 – Final Fantasy VII: Above Chrono Trigger?! It's not one of my favourite FF games either so that's a no from me.
3 – Half Life 2: I haven't really given this much of a fair go, I got lost right at the start and gave up but it seemed pretty dated.
2 – Super Mario 64: Above Galaxy? Above Sunshine? On your bike!
1 – Ocarina of Time: Dated Zelda game that's OK but it's worse than all of the other Zelda games, except MM obviously.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*
Page 11 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next