Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Metal Gear Series

Go down 
+10
oldschool
Admin
JayMoyles
Cube
The_Jaster
beemoh
Crumpy Andy
The Cappuccino Kid
Buskalilly
masofdas
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Favourite Metal Gear
Metal Gear
Metal Gear Series Vote_lcap0%Metal Gear Series Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Snakes Revenge
 0% [ 0 ]
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Series Vote_lcap10%Metal Gear Series Vote_rcap
 10% [ 1 ]
Ghost Babel
 0% [ 0 ]
Sons of Liberty
 10% [ 1 ]
Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Series Vote_lcap30%Metal Gear Series Vote_rcap
 30% [ 3 ]
Snake Eater / 3D
Metal Gear Series Vote_lcap40%Metal Gear Series Vote_rcap
 40% [ 4 ]
Acid
 0% [ 0 ]
Acid 2
 0% [ 0 ]
Portable Ops / +
 0% [ 0 ]
Guns of the Patriots
 0% [ 0 ]
Online / Arcade
 0% [ 0 ]
Peace Walker
 10% [ 1 ]
Revengearce
 0% [ 0 ]
Ground Zeroes
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Metal Gear Series Empty
PostSubject: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series EmptyFri 21 Mar 2014 - 9:20

METAL GEAR

I thought we've got some threads for other big series and this is one of the biggest, and seeing buska & myself have both recently finished some Metal Gear games let's talk about them.

There's even a poll.

So I seen Mr Lilly has just finished MGS2 which is excellent, it's the reason I bought a PS2 even not playing the first a I was about 8 when that came out.

Also anyone know what Kojima was doing between 1990 & 1998
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

Metal Gear Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series EmptyFri 21 Mar 2014 - 14:09

He was doing policenauts and zone of the enders.

Aaaaaaarrrgggh! It's either 1, 3 or 4. I prefer games that star Solid Snake to Naked. 4 is ott and funny and action packed, but 1 is a compact, precision piece of storytelling.
3 doesn't feature my boy SS but if probably has the best story. It's not too mired down in scifi and philosophising, plus you don't need to have played any of the others, which you need for four.

In the end, this makes my decision for me.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

Metal Gear Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series EmptyFri 21 Mar 2014 - 14:34

There's quite a few folk in my circle of mates who are Metal Gear daft, but I'm not one of them. I just don't think Metal Gear is that good, and that's for reasons beyond the obscene amount of cinematics.

I'm not kidding when I say that I felt the series highlight was the demo for the second one that came with Zone of the Enders, but from that poll...bugger it, Twin Snakes. In a word: solid.

Bloody hell...
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

Metal Gear Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series EmptyFri 21 Mar 2014 - 15:29

I've never been bitten by the Metal Gear bug. I've played through 3 and didn't get on with it too well, it just felt like a game with some nice ideas but poor execution. I've also tried 1 but it felt pretty dated. I should be giving Peace Walker a spin soon though so maybe that'll convert me.
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

Metal Gear Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series EmptyFri 21 Mar 2014 - 16:03

Only played Snake Eater at length, but Revengeance deserves praise just for being called Revengeance.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Metal Gear Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series EmptyFri 21 Mar 2014 - 16:37

I forgot about policenauts I hear it's actually fairly decent,  ZOE was done between MGS & MGS2.

Who was the 6th vote as I guess us 5 are the others and kind makes sense twin snakes is in the lead on a primeraly a Nintendo site.

Looking at others threads like this is people put what they've played etc which some of you have done.

Myself I couldn't get on with the NES game's playing them about 20 years out. I've played and finished MGS which is timeless, sons of liberty & the substance version which I voted as the best as it made love the series and go back to the first. I played but didn't like snake eater at all, I bought my ps4 at launch knowing guns of the patriots was coming which was amazing and still looks great now, you won't find that with many game's from then. I did play twin snakes which is also good. I've tried playing a few of the handheld ones but not really got on with them, it isn't a series that suits being on the go. Of course just done ground zeroes.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

Metal Gear Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series EmptySun 23 Mar 2014 - 0:21

I had a good we go on ground zeroes today & its just so much fun, the controls especially show up the other games in the series (only mainly played twin snakes & MGS3) & it has me super excited for The phantom pain.

Don't think I could pick a favourite just now as I've never finished any of them.
Back to top Go down
Cube
Garreg Mach Geography Teacher

Metal Gear Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series EmptySun 23 Mar 2014 - 0:30

I've only been able to get into The Twin Snakes, which I really enjoyed. I tried MSG2 HD and didn't get far, and gave up on MGS4 pretty early as I had no idea how to play the game.

I would probably consider The Phantom Pain if the demo was free and not £20/£30/£40/Whatever it is.

I remember people complaining about the Dead Rising 2 "demo", which was longer than Ground Zeroes. And was a few quid.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

Metal Gear Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series EmptySun 23 Mar 2014 - 0:43

I'm sick of seeing folk call ground zeroes a "demo" it was always intended to be a prologue to phantom pain, the game has a tonne of replay value & I can see me getting about 10 - 15 hours if not more out if it.

So, what demo have you played that lasts that long?
Back to top Go down
Cube
Garreg Mach Geography Teacher

Metal Gear Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series EmptySun 23 Mar 2014 - 10:43

Pretty much any demo can be that long if you play it enough times. Especially open world games like Just Cause and Burnout Paradise. I'm not bothered about high scores and leaderboards, so there would be little reason for me to replay it anyway.

Ground Zeroes is just the same marketing trick as including the MGS2 demo with Zone of the Enders, except they felt like they didn't need an actual game to go with it. The reviews and success of this stunt is extremely worrying for the future of gaming.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

Metal Gear Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series EmptySun 23 Mar 2014 - 11:04

Personally, I don't see this Ground Zeroes release as being any worse than the Gran Turismo prologues that have been kicking about for the last ten years, and I thought those were fine. There's money to be made - it's smart business. If people feel it's worth £20, fair play to them.

Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

Metal Gear Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series EmptySun 23 Mar 2014 - 15:14

Anyone else looking forward to listening to the Album Demo chart on Radio 1 at 4PM?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Metal Gear Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series EmptySun 23 Mar 2014 - 18:15

Did no one read my last game I finished thoughts on ground zeroes, I paid £18 for it on PS4 in the end but most would be playing £25 for it.

I spent about 5 hours with it and that was doing Ground Zeroes Mission and not rushing, so enjoying cut-scenes etc which took about 1 hr 40mins to do, then I did the Side Ops which there is 4 which are about 30 mins each, then I did ground zeroes again to look for something that took about 30mins as I skipped cut-scenes and did the mission in a different order, then I did Extra Op AKA Deja Vu which was about 30 mins long as well.

So that's a total of 4hr 40 mins which I don't think is to bad for a £25 "DEMO", a film is what £15 on Blu Ray and about a Avg of 2hrs. So I don't see the price being a issue with this, maybe if your not sure about it. And if you tired to 100% it by looking for cassette tapes, s-ranking, trophies your looking at about 8hrs.

Aren't most games story about 8hrs nowadays for £40, so even if you just did all the mission on ground zeroes your getting half the avg game for half the price and this isn't a avg this is quality over quantity.

Also looking up the Dead Rising "Demo" was 3hrs long for the main quest or 100% 4.5hrs but was only £3.40 which is cheap as there is shorter games then that on XBLA or PSN for more money.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

Metal Gear Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series EmptySun 23 Mar 2014 - 18:27

Quality > quantity is a pretty good description of Kojima in general. I'd pay 40 quid for an hour of metal gear.

masofdas wrote:
Did no one read my last game I finished thoughts on ground zeroes?
No, nobody listens to you.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

Metal Gear Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series EmptySun 23 Mar 2014 - 19:14

Cube wrote:
Pretty much any demo can be that long if you play it enough times.

This is the thing though with an ordinary demo you would be getting the same experience over & over but with GZ you can tackle the missions in a variety of different ways, getting certain ranks also unlocks new weapons to play with for that missions.

It's like when you played with toys as a kid you wouldn't do the same old thing you'd mix it up to make it more fun & for me that's all a game has to be.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

Metal Gear Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series EmptySun 23 Mar 2014 - 21:06

Surprised to see Twin Snakes doing so well, considering some of the drubbings metal gear heads give it...
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

Metal Gear Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series EmptySun 23 Mar 2014 - 21:26

Ye know what? I changed my mind on voting in the poll, snake eater is brilliant.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

Metal Gear Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series EmptyMon 24 Mar 2014 - 18:02

I'm playing peace walker at the moment. It's okay but I can't help but think it would be better in it's natural handheld setting. It would be a logical game to bring out on 3DS, especially being a direct sequel to the last, inappropriate, release.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Metal Gear Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series EmptyMon 24 Mar 2014 - 18:43

So would maybe worth taking a punt if cheap at some point on VITA.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

Metal Gear Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series EmptySat 5 Apr 2014 - 17:39

masofdas wrote:
But MG is known for it's long cut-scenes though, you never answered my question where would you place it on in the MG series.

I guess Snake Eater still number 1, and did you find playing peace walker before this helpful.

I guess most of this should be talked about in the Metal Gear Series thread.
I don't mind the long cutscenes, like you say they're just part of the package with Metal Gear. MGS2 was the only one where a few of them felt like they were taking the piss because the gameplay in between was so brief. Anyway, my list:
1) Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
2) Metal Gear Solid
3) Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
4) Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
5) Metal Gear Solid V (this will probably come much higher when Phantom Pain is out, and I'll just think of them both as one game, like Tanker/ Plant)
6) Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
7) Metal Gear
Cool Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

Those are the only ones I've played so far. Who knows where Revengeance will fit in?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Metal Gear Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series EmptySat 5 Apr 2014 - 22:07

We don't talk about Revengeance, and good list.

Mine based on what I've played:
1) Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (Substance version on Xbox, please)
2) Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
3) Metal Gear Solid
4) Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes (I think it's different enough)
5) Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2, not 3DS)
6) Metal Gear Solid V (Think the same as you on this)
7) Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Cool Metal Gear Acid
9) Metal Gear
10) Metal Gear 2: Snakes Revenge

Last edited by masofdas on Wed 24 Jun 2015 - 19:26; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : I forgot I played Portable Ops)
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

Metal Gear Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series EmptySat 5 Apr 2014 - 23:05

Wow, someone really didn't like naked snake!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Metal Gear Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series EmptySat 5 Apr 2014 - 23:13

Someone didn't like Jack  Grin 

Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

Metal Gear Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series EmptySun 6 Apr 2014 - 6:00

Drunkalilly wrote:

Cool Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

^
Hi little chap.

masofdas wrote:

Cool Metal Gear

& here he is again. Laughing
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Metal Gear Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series EmptyFri 16 May 2014 - 9:18

There's a sale on PSN at the moment which includes most of the MGS series, is it worth downloading Peace Walker on to my VITA for £7.99.
Also looking maybe picking up portable ops at trying that again at £3.99.

I will post a full link to in the PlayStation thread.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Metal Gear Series Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Series   Metal Gear Series Empty

Back to top Go down

Metal Gear Series
Page 1 of 12Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next