We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Counting Classics on Consoles

Go down 
+10
Crumpy Andy
Jimbob
Dead Lemon
The_Jaster
masofdas
Buskalilly
JayMoyles
The Cappuccino Kid
ZeroJones
Balladeer
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyMon 17 Aug 2015 - 17:39

Super Star Wars, Yes
Super Mario All Stars, Yes
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyMon 17 Aug 2015 - 21:50

I'll also fire a yes at both those - Super Star Wars is one of the best Star Wars games out there and it'd be hypocritical of us not to have Super Mario All-Stars in there considering we've already put half of it in.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyTue 18 Aug 2015 - 13:03

Ouch, Drunka. That happened to me with an edit. Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C definitely recommended before a large post.

CT is in, Andy! And it's definitely a classic.

Jay, that's exactly why I've downvoted SMAS. It's a compilation of classics (and SMB2/LL), but it's not a classic itself. It adds almost nothing of note. Nobody's going to give the Kirby/Mario anniversary compilations classic status, I presume? Then SMAS doesn't deserves classic status either.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyTue 18 Aug 2015 - 16:37

I lose posts all the time, the worst time was losing my votes for Zero's thread Sad

As for All stars I really love the graphical overhaul. I've never gotten on with the nes versions and that's probably because I played All Stars. I can't speak for the Kirby one, but the Mario Anniversary collection wasn't a great port and literally did nothing on top of the SNES version.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyTue 18 Aug 2015 - 18:07

I'll throw yeses to Chrono trigger and Super Star wars.

---

On the losing posts front, what's the the keyboard short cut to go back a page? As I've done that a few times without realising how. (I'm on a chromebook so it may be different)
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyTue 18 Aug 2015 - 18:38

Backspace, when you don't have a cursor in the text area.

andyman949 wrote:
As for All stars I really love the graphical overhaul. I've never gotten on with the nes versions and that's probably because I played All Stars. I can't speak for the Kirby one, but the Mario Anniversary collection wasn't a great port and literally did nothing on top of the SNES version.

But by the same logic, OoT3D should be a classic. OoT, sure - OoT prettied up, with minimal other changes? Nah.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyTue 18 Aug 2015 - 20:00

I wouldn't object to that either to be honest. It has Master Quest and the improved touch screen menu for iron boots and that'd suit me if I cared enough about the game.

I suppose the issue lies in where you're defining the line of a classic, I'm going to remember the best version as the classic myself, albeit I struggle to put on my nostalgia specs to rave about a game that doesn't hold up today.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyTue 18 Aug 2015 - 20:17

We do indeed have very different definitions of classics. Laughing I'm no great nostalgia person myself, yet I upvoted SMK. But each to their own!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015 - 10:32

Reason I went Yes to SMAS is because if you told me you were buying a SNES and asked what were classic game to pick up, SMAS would be one of them.

Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015 - 10:40

masofdas wrote:
Reason I went Yes to SMAS is because if you told me you were buying a SNES and asked what were classic game to pick up, SMAS would be one of them.

I wasn't keen on SMAS going in at first, but that's quite a good angle so I'm gonna give it a YES.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015 - 10:54

I'm presuming that we've gone in chronological order, and that the person you're making a recommendation to has already played SMB and SMB3 - otherwise, again, you'd say the same for OoT3D.  Also, I kinda feel there needs to be some creative effort gone into a classic (gameplay, innovation, ideas, story), which just shinying-up doesn't really signify to my mind.

We're getting into "videogames as art" here.  Anyway, it's currently at 4-1 and looking like going in.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015 - 11:17

If someone was buying a 3DS, I would say buy OoT3D as it's a classic game but is it a classic 3DS game that's a bit iffy as is it a classic 3DS game, is there any that we won't know for years.

Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015 - 12:14

That's why to me the latest games discussion will be much more interesting. At the moment a lot of this is really obvious, as we get more recent it'll be a crazy list.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015 - 12:17

Yeah it will be as if we do others likely PS360 could be interesting what we deem as classica.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015 - 12:17

I'm not doing 3DS or Wii U for the reason Mas described, pretty much. I will do the Wii and DS, however.

In fact, one of the very few remakes that might be considered a classic is HGSS. That game really added so much to the original.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015 - 20:38

Well, that's exploded somewhat since I last posted! Shocked

Mes Votes, Messieurs Et Mesdames:

Some fairly serious abstains there... Embarrassed
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015 - 23:00

Interesting debate over SMAS, guys. I think... I'm gonna say yes. I initially said no, for the "just a compilation" train of thought.
And... yeah to Super Star Ward, even though it's a tad janky. Although there have been good Star Wars games since, the actual (best) film has only been game-ified in Lego form since then.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015 - 23:04

Balla, I was going through the list of games put forward so far and I saw you'd said no to Super Punch Out - I'm curious as to why you gave it a thumbs down.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyThu 20 Aug 2015 - 11:52

Urk, caught! And I would've gotten away with it too... When I think of P-O, I think of the original, simply. I had to Google SP-O to find out what it looks like. Maybe it should have been an abstain? Doesn't make much difference.

Jimbob wrote:
Interesting debate over SMAS, guys. I think... I'm gonna say yes. I initially said no, for the "just a compilation" train of thought.

Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 Image
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyThu 20 Aug 2015 - 22:12

Yeah, fair! I gave it a yes as it's a great game (better than the first, in my opinion) and still reasonably well known.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptySun 23 Aug 2015 - 9:25

Woo am I right in thinking N64 starts today
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptySun 23 Aug 2015 - 9:29

Yeah, I've been lazy.  That's 26 classics for the SNES!  Although some only just had enough votes (Cybernator).  Let's break out the N64 stuff!  Three obvious ones and a wild card:

SM64 Y 9-0
LoZOoT Y 9-0
LoZMM Y 8-0
Blast Corps Y 2-1
MK64 Y 9-0
Goldeneye Y 9-0
Space Station Silicon Valley N 2-3
S&P A 3-2
Conker's BFD A 1-2
Lylat Wars Y 9-0
Pokémon Snap N 3-3
F-Zero X A 8-0
WWF No Mercy A 5-0
Doom 64 N 1-5
Paper Mario Y 9-0
B-K Y 9-0
DKR N 3-1
DK64 N 3-4
Perfect Dark Y 6-0
Smash Bros. N 5-3
Mario Tennis Y 6-0
JFG Y 3-2
Pokémon Stadium N 3-4
SWSotE N 1-3
SWRS A 2-1
Wave Race 64 Y 5-0
1080 Y 5-0
Snowboard Kids Y 4-2
Pilotwings 64 Y 4-1
The New Tetris N 1-3
Worms Armageddon A 1-3
Banjo Tooie A 4-1
Mario Party 2 N 3-2
MNSG A 1-2
Yoshi's Story N 2-4
Mario Golf A 6-0
Shadowman A 2-3
Turok Y 5-1
ISS 64 A 4-2
Mission Impossible N 1-5
RE2 A 2-2
Ogre Battle 64 N 1-3
PS2 Y 3-3
Kirby 64 N 1-1
Body Harvest A 1-0
Turok 2 N 1-1
Excite Bike 64 A 1-0

Have at it.

Last edited by Balladeer on Fri 28 Aug 2015 - 7:22; edited 17 times in total (Reason for editing : Drunken voting.)
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptySun 23 Aug 2015 - 9:59

I still reckon there will be more then 26 N64 games as I can think of about 50 that could be classics.

SM64, Yes
LoZOoT, Yes
LoZMM, Yes
Blast Corps, No

I will add
Mario Kart 64
GoldenEye
Space Station Silicon Valley
Sin and Punishment
Conker's Bad Fur Day

Last edited by masofdas on Sun 23 Aug 2015 - 10:42; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptySun 23 Aug 2015 - 10:08

Mario 64 Of course. We pretty much wouldn't have modern 3D games without this, and even ignoring the historical significance this is a bloody fun game that will never get old.
Ocarina of Time Another no-brainer. An emotional journey and breathtaking experience, not to mention that the world owes as much of a debt to this as it does Mario.
Majora's Mask The black sheep of the Zelda family, this is an unforgettable, surreal masterpiece that wonderfully complements OoT's grand heroics with a more intimate, sombre tale.
Blast Corps Abstain, unfortunately. That said, I have Rare Replay now so this could change by the end of the week!
Mario Kart 64 Probably my least favourite home Mario Kart, but the worst MK is still a great game! A yes from me.
GoldenEye Yes, of course.
Space Station Silicon Valley Abstain.
Sin and Punishment I'll give this one a yes.
Conker's Bad Fur Day Same as Blast Corps. I'll get back to you!

A few from me:

Lylat Wars
Pokémon Snap
F-Zero X
WWF No Mercy
Doom 64
(secretly one of the best Dooms)
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptySun 23 Aug 2015 - 10:15

I don't see what some people (not lots, but a vocal minority) see in Snap. A good game, but not great, with only six levels and interesting but limited gameplay. A good game, but not a classic to me.

I'm torn on F0X. The original was a classic, GX is probably, but F0X is the weird middle child that doesn't quite seem to fit the bill. It was good fun though. Abstain.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Counting Classics on Consoles
Page 5 of 21Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next