Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Counting Classics on Consoles

Go down 
+10
Crumpy Andy
Jimbob
Dead Lemon
The_Jaster
masofdas
Buskalilly
JayMoyles
The Cappuccino Kid
ZeroJones
Balladeer
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyMon 17 Aug 2015 - 17:39

Super Star Wars, Yes
Super Mario All Stars, Yes
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyMon 17 Aug 2015 - 21:50

I'll also fire a yes at both those - Super Star Wars is one of the best Star Wars games out there and it'd be hypocritical of us not to have Super Mario All-Stars in there considering we've already put half of it in.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyTue 18 Aug 2015 - 13:03

Ouch, Drunka. That happened to me with an edit. Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C definitely recommended before a large post.

CT is in, Andy! And it's definitely a classic.

Jay, that's exactly why I've downvoted SMAS. It's a compilation of classics (and SMB2/LL), but it's not a classic itself. It adds almost nothing of note. Nobody's going to give the Kirby/Mario anniversary compilations classic status, I presume? Then SMAS doesn't deserves classic status either.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyTue 18 Aug 2015 - 16:37

I lose posts all the time, the worst time was losing my votes for Zero's thread Sad

As for All stars I really love the graphical overhaul. I've never gotten on with the nes versions and that's probably because I played All Stars. I can't speak for the Kirby one, but the Mario Anniversary collection wasn't a great port and literally did nothing on top of the SNES version.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyTue 18 Aug 2015 - 18:07

I'll throw yeses to Chrono trigger and Super Star wars.

---

On the losing posts front, what's the the keyboard short cut to go back a page? As I've done that a few times without realising how. (I'm on a chromebook so it may be different)
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyTue 18 Aug 2015 - 18:38

Backspace, when you don't have a cursor in the text area.

andyman949 wrote:
As for All stars I really love the graphical overhaul. I've never gotten on with the nes versions and that's probably because I played All Stars. I can't speak for the Kirby one, but the Mario Anniversary collection wasn't a great port and literally did nothing on top of the SNES version.

But by the same logic, OoT3D should be a classic. OoT, sure - OoT prettied up, with minimal other changes? Nah.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyTue 18 Aug 2015 - 20:00

I wouldn't object to that either to be honest. It has Master Quest and the improved touch screen menu for iron boots and that'd suit me if I cared enough about the game.

I suppose the issue lies in where you're defining the line of a classic, I'm going to remember the best version as the classic myself, albeit I struggle to put on my nostalgia specs to rave about a game that doesn't hold up today.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyTue 18 Aug 2015 - 20:17

We do indeed have very different definitions of classics. Laughing I'm no great nostalgia person myself, yet I upvoted SMK. But each to their own!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015 - 10:32

Reason I went Yes to SMAS is because if you told me you were buying a SNES and asked what were classic game to pick up, SMAS would be one of them.

Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015 - 10:40

masofdas wrote:
Reason I went Yes to SMAS is because if you told me you were buying a SNES and asked what were classic game to pick up, SMAS would be one of them.

I wasn't keen on SMAS going in at first, but that's quite a good angle so I'm gonna give it a YES.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015 - 10:54

I'm presuming that we've gone in chronological order, and that the person you're making a recommendation to has already played SMB and SMB3 - otherwise, again, you'd say the same for OoT3D.  Also, I kinda feel there needs to be some creative effort gone into a classic (gameplay, innovation, ideas, story), which just shinying-up doesn't really signify to my mind.

We're getting into "videogames as art" here.  Anyway, it's currently at 4-1 and looking like going in.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015 - 11:17

If someone was buying a 3DS, I would say buy OoT3D as it's a classic game but is it a classic 3DS game that's a bit iffy as is it a classic 3DS game, is there any that we won't know for years.

Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015 - 12:14

That's why to me the latest games discussion will be much more interesting. At the moment a lot of this is really obvious, as we get more recent it'll be a crazy list.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015 - 12:17

Yeah it will be as if we do others likely PS360 could be interesting what we deem as classica.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015 - 12:17

I'm not doing 3DS or Wii U for the reason Mas described, pretty much. I will do the Wii and DS, however.

In fact, one of the very few remakes that might be considered a classic is HGSS. That game really added so much to the original.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015 - 20:38

Well, that's exploded somewhat since I last posted! Shocked

Mes Votes, Messieurs Et Mesdames:

Some fairly serious abstains there... Embarrassed
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015 - 23:00

Interesting debate over SMAS, guys. I think... I'm gonna say yes. I initially said no, for the "just a compilation" train of thought.
And... yeah to Super Star Ward, even though it's a tad janky. Although there have been good Star Wars games since, the actual (best) film has only been game-ified in Lego form since then.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015 - 23:04

Balla, I was going through the list of games put forward so far and I saw you'd said no to Super Punch Out - I'm curious as to why you gave it a thumbs down.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyThu 20 Aug 2015 - 11:52

Urk, caught! And I would've gotten away with it too... When I think of P-O, I think of the original, simply. I had to Google SP-O to find out what it looks like. Maybe it should have been an abstain? Doesn't make much difference.

Jimbob wrote:
Interesting debate over SMAS, guys. I think... I'm gonna say yes. I initially said no, for the "just a compilation" train of thought.

Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 Image
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptyThu 20 Aug 2015 - 22:12

Yeah, fair! I gave it a yes as it's a great game (better than the first, in my opinion) and still reasonably well known.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptySun 23 Aug 2015 - 9:25

Woo am I right in thinking N64 starts today
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptySun 23 Aug 2015 - 9:29

Yeah, I've been lazy.  That's 26 classics for the SNES!  Although some only just had enough votes (Cybernator).  Let's break out the N64 stuff!  Three obvious ones and a wild card:

SM64 Y 9-0
LoZOoT Y 9-0
LoZMM Y 8-0
Blast Corps Y 2-1
MK64 Y 9-0
Goldeneye Y 9-0
Space Station Silicon Valley N 2-3
S&P A 3-2
Conker's BFD A 1-2
Lylat Wars Y 9-0
Pokémon Snap N 3-3
F-Zero X A 8-0
WWF No Mercy A 5-0
Doom 64 N 1-5
Paper Mario Y 9-0
B-K Y 9-0
DKR N 3-1
DK64 N 3-4
Perfect Dark Y 6-0
Smash Bros. N 5-3
Mario Tennis Y 6-0
JFG Y 3-2
Pokémon Stadium N 3-4
SWSotE N 1-3
SWRS A 2-1
Wave Race 64 Y 5-0
1080 Y 5-0
Snowboard Kids Y 4-2
Pilotwings 64 Y 4-1
The New Tetris N 1-3
Worms Armageddon A 1-3
Banjo Tooie A 4-1
Mario Party 2 N 3-2
MNSG A 1-2
Yoshi's Story N 2-4
Mario Golf A 6-0
Shadowman A 2-3
Turok Y 5-1
ISS 64 A 4-2
Mission Impossible N 1-5
RE2 A 2-2
Ogre Battle 64 N 1-3
PS2 Y 3-3
Kirby 64 N 1-1
Body Harvest A 1-0
Turok 2 N 1-1
Excite Bike 64 A 1-0

Have at it.

Last edited by Balladeer on Fri 28 Aug 2015 - 7:22; edited 17 times in total (Reason for editing : Drunken voting.)
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptySun 23 Aug 2015 - 9:59

I still reckon there will be more then 26 N64 games as I can think of about 50 that could be classics.

SM64, Yes
LoZOoT, Yes
LoZMM, Yes
Blast Corps, No

I will add
Mario Kart 64
GoldenEye
Space Station Silicon Valley
Sin and Punishment
Conker's Bad Fur Day

Last edited by masofdas on Sun 23 Aug 2015 - 10:42; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptySun 23 Aug 2015 - 10:08

Mario 64 Of course. We pretty much wouldn't have modern 3D games without this, and even ignoring the historical significance this is a bloody fun game that will never get old.
Ocarina of Time Another no-brainer. An emotional journey and breathtaking experience, not to mention that the world owes as much of a debt to this as it does Mario.
Majora's Mask The black sheep of the Zelda family, this is an unforgettable, surreal masterpiece that wonderfully complements OoT's grand heroics with a more intimate, sombre tale.
Blast Corps Abstain, unfortunately. That said, I have Rare Replay now so this could change by the end of the week!
Mario Kart 64 Probably my least favourite home Mario Kart, but the worst MK is still a great game! A yes from me.
GoldenEye Yes, of course.
Space Station Silicon Valley Abstain.
Sin and Punishment I'll give this one a yes.
Conker's Bad Fur Day Same as Blast Corps. I'll get back to you!

A few from me:

Lylat Wars
Pokémon Snap
F-Zero X
WWF No Mercy
Doom 64
(secretly one of the best Dooms)
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 EmptySun 23 Aug 2015 - 10:15

I don't see what some people (not lots, but a vocal minority) see in Snap. A good game, but not great, with only six levels and interesting but limited gameplay. A good game, but not a classic to me.

I'm torn on F0X. The original was a classic, GX is probably, but F0X is the weird middle child that doesn't quite seem to fit the bill. It was good fun though. Abstain.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Counting Classics on Consoles   Counting Classics on Consoles - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Counting Classics on Consoles
Page 5 of 21Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next