Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0

Go down 
+11
Athrun888
Balladeer
Buskalilly
The_Jaster
Jimbob
OrangeRakoon
Crumpy Andy
JayMoyles
masofdas
The Cappuccino Kid
ZeroJones
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 EmptyMon 8 May 2017 - 18:05

There's only so much time in the day Mas! It's one that I've always meant to get around to playing and seeing as I don't have a substantial single player game on the go right now, I think the time is now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 EmptyMon 8 May 2017 - 19:10

Pretty much spot on analysis of PES and Life is Strange from gjones there. The teen language never bothered me because I remember how clingy I was to certain phrases back in the day, but definitely a niggle for some.

It' will certainly make for a good, quick, single player game to go through Jay, I'm envious that you're going to experience it for a first time. For me, the only problem was that I enjoyed it so much that whatever I played a different game afterwards they felt a bit hollow for a while.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 EmptyMon 8 May 2017 - 19:52

gjones wrote:
Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 Pro_Evolution_2017_Cover_Art

PES 2017 (PS4)

“Finished” being I did everything there is to do in Master League and my team are ranked #1 in the world. I’ve done 8 seasons and won all the trophies in the French league (with Auxerre), along with the Champions League three years on the trot.

I’m at that stage where my team are so good that I’m setting new targets (score 100 goals a season for example, or win every league game) and I don’t know if it counts as cheating, but I used re-gen youth players like Totti and Ibrahimovic. For those who haven’t played Master League, you get a youth team of players with which to sign 16-year old players and there’s the option as to whether you include retiring players. Totti is rated 99 and he’s only 22 years old, which has helped, but it was guys like Embolo, Martial and the only original player I still have – Castledine – who helped make the team so good.

As for the game itself, it’s an addictive combination of RPG-grinding and satisfying, responsive gameplay – what every great PES is about. I really don’t know why anyone would play FIFA instead as the Career modes just aren’t as rewarding. There’s also some really funny game-y moments such as signing Petr Cech and he wears his protective hat during the contract signing video, or the nicknames that the fans give your players – Ibrahimovic is known as “The God of Football”.

I’m tempted to skip PES 2018 depending how good the demo will be, and would like to delve in to the Become a Legend mode (where you play as just one guy) but PES has always been about Master League for me. Plus, I don’t think PES is selling well and I’d like to support Konami so that we aren’t just left with FIFA.

9.9/10 (because next year there'll be something slightly better in it)

I wouldn't call using the re-gen of youth players cheating, if anything it makes the game more exciting as you have the potential to create a team you'd only ever see in your dreams. I know how you feel about possibly skipping the 2018 game as I've always wanted to Plat a PES game but it's so time consuming it'd be pretty much impossible to do in within a year.

Nice write up. #LoveKonami Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 EmptyMon 8 May 2017 - 22:45

Muss wrote:

It' will certainly make for a good, quick, single player game to go through Jay, I'm envious that you're going to experience it for a first time. For me, the only problem was that I enjoyed it so much that whatever I played a different game afterwards they felt a bit hollow for a while.

Rattled through Episode One - thumbs up so far. There seems to be a lot more minor choices in this compared to Telltale's efforts and I'm interested to see how much of an effect my choices will have on later episodes.

The slang hasn't bothered me yet as it seems to fit the setting well enough. Plus, naming the options for your subtitle text size as "normal, large and hella large" got a laugh from me.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 EmptySat 20 May 2017 - 22:48

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE

Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 Maxresdefault

I've spent 103 hours on this, according to my final game save. Not even that's true, with the amount of times I fought bosses and died. I don't think I've ever played a home console game for that kind of length of time. It's replaced Paper Mario: Color Splash as my favourite game of 2016. This colourful, noisy, rich JRPG has taken third spot in my Top Ten Wii U Games list. It's definitely got its flaws: the difficulty curve is poorly judged, with the bosses in the middle of the game by far the hardest. The final two chapters don't feel as coherent as previous ones, with the very final dungeon seemingly stitched together from rejected ideas for full ones (a sign that it was maybe rushed out a little?). Some of the music is dreadful, too (more on that later Winky Face ), and one of the main-ish characters is a bit creepy.

However, there's so much to enjoy. Mechanics are layered on at just the right pace to prevent you from getting bored or overwhelmed. Combat is a powerfully satisfying thing and though the story is a little skittish and could have been developed more, it's a big bag of fun. Like one of those IKEA bags, that can hold a lot? One of them. I read a review that called it 'juvenile'; I think that's harsh, and 'frivolous' is much more like it. But who doesn't need some frivolity in their lives from time to time? Here's hoping the game can be brought to a wider audience somehow, so that it doesn't sink as one of the Wii U's greatest curios...

18/20
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 EmptySun 21 May 2017 - 10:28

Stop me if you've heard this before - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
You know the deal - I'll keep it brief
My top ten games, Feb 2017:
My top ten games, May 2017:
999/1000
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 EmptyMon 22 May 2017 - 5:56

Did you like it or not Jimbob? You're not being very clear. The forum is a tool for communication, if you don't communicate well then the whole premise falls apart. Was it any good?

My Wii U's packed away now, but after all Zero's said I'd buy TMS on Switch in a heartbeat.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 EmptyMon 22 May 2017 - 19:36

Balladeer wrote:
Did you like it or not Jimbob?  You're not being very clear.  The forum is a tool for communication, if you don't communicate well then the whole premise falls apart.  Was it any good?
yeah

(But srs I'm trying to avoid writing a big ol' praise paragraph because it will go on forever. Short version: I've played other games for 200 hours and thought "this, or I, probably should've stopped about halfway" - Bethesda - but I've started reading all the "did you know?" bits in case I missed something and have an excuse to play 200 more)
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 EmptyMon 22 May 2017 - 21:08

Looking at your list Jim, as someone who seems to like Zelda from your list. How did you find it as a Zelda game as that is my major issue with BotW that it isn't a Zelda game?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 EmptyMon 22 May 2017 - 21:22

...easy Drunka...
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 EmptyMon 22 May 2017 - 21:45

@Mas:

Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 EmptyMon 22 May 2017 - 22:10

Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 EmptyThu 25 May 2017 - 1:31

Finished Life is Strange. I'll post some extended thoughts tomorrow, but for now I'll say that I'm emotionally drained and utterly blown away by the story Dontnod told over those five episodes. It's put all of Telltale's library - that I've played, at least - to shame. I'm actually going to have to take a break from playing anything too narrative driven for a little while. I genuinely think LiS would sully other games for me, for some time at the very least.

In short, 10/10.

Also, to those of you that finished the game, I'll also post this. More words tomorrow. For now, I'm sad.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 EmptyThu 25 May 2017 - 16:43

Phenomenal game. I played it through Muss' Steam library, so at some point I'm going to buy an Xbox copy. I want to play it again, I feel I should pay for it and I want that nice hard copy with the diary and soundtrack.

Apparently, we're in for a season 2 and a tv series. I hope they're both quite removed.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 EmptyThu 25 May 2017 - 22:34

masofdas wrote:
Looking at your list Jim, as someone who seems to like Zelda from your list. How did you find it as a Zelda game as that is my major issue with BotW that it isn't a Zelda game?
I genuinely don't know if you're trolling or that's a genuine question! I go away for 4 days and all hell is breaking loose

(sorry for interrupting Life Is Strange)
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 EmptyThu 25 May 2017 - 23:20

That's a genuine question, Jim.

Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 EmptyFri 26 May 2017 - 0:15

It's quite a lot like this Zelda game:
Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 Legend-of-zelda-nes-ingame-41383
It's basically the Zelda game I've always wanted.
It's got loads of Zelda-y things in it that I've always loved about the previous games: The story points are not heavy-handed like Final Fantasy or a western RPG. Each character (and their resultant role in the game) has been thought about. When you're siphoned into a dungeon, it looks different from any other area in the game. You get a neat bunch of tools to use, rather than just bigger swords.
It's not like a new Zelda game in some regards: Skyward Sword was painfully, un-enjoyably, linear, whereas this game has the sense of exploration that I really appreciated as a kid from the 2D Zeldas; obviously people point back to the first game, in terms of there being very little direction, but even Link to the Past, or the Gameboy games, gave you a wide variety of side quests to discover. It's like the old Zeldas instead.
I'm trying to think back to Ocarina of Time etc., do determine other - positive - factors that those games have that Breath of the Wild doesn't (i.e. what makes it "not a Zelda"). It doesn't have as many items - that perhaps is one thing I'll concede; however there has been a tradition of said items being used at one point in the dungeon they were found in, to overcome an obstacle, and then remain unused in your inventory until the end of time. It doesn't have a Navi - largely, people have decided that this is a good thing. It does still have a "thing" that pops up and tells you what you should be doing, but only for the first hour. I don't know what else you'd think is missing.
It may be that one doesn't appreciate the vast world if they plough through the important bits of the story. However, this is also true for a lot of previous games: you can jump through Majora's Mask with 9 hearts and minimal resetting, but I'd argue that if you didn't try to get the couple's mask, or the giant wallet, or the unbreakable sword upgrade, you're probably playing the game wrong.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 EmptyFri 26 May 2017 - 1:37

Jimbob wrote:
It's quite a lot like this Zelda game:
Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 Legend-of-zelda-nes-ingame-41383
It's basically the Zelda game I've always wanted.
It's got loads of Zelda-y things in it that I've always loved about the previous games: The story points are not heavy-handed like Final Fantasy or a western RPG. Each character (and their resultant role in the game) has been thought about. When you're siphoned into a dungeon, it looks different from any other area in the game. You get a neat bunch of tools to use, rather than just bigger swords.
It's not like a new Zelda game in some regards: Skyward Sword was painfully, un-enjoyably, linear, whereas this game has the sense of exploration that I really appreciated as a kid from the 2D Zeldas; obviously people point back to the first game, in terms of there being very little direction, but even Link to the Past, or the Gameboy games, gave you a wide variety of side quests to discover. It's like the old Zeldas instead.
I'm trying to think back to Ocarina of Time etc., do determine other - positive - factors that those games have that Breath of the Wild doesn't (i.e. what makes it "not a Zelda"). It doesn't have as many items - that perhaps is one thing I'll concede; however there has been a tradition of said items being used at one point in the dungeon they were found in, to overcome an obstacle, and then remain unused in your inventory until the end of time. It doesn't have a Navi - largely, people have decided that this is a good thing. It does still have a "thing" that pops up and tells you what you should be doing, but only for the first hour. I don't know what else you'd think is missing.
It may be that one doesn't appreciate the vast world if they plough through the important bits of the story. However, this is also true for a lot of previous games: you can jump through Majora's Mask with 9 hearts and minimal resetting, but I'd argue that if you didn't try to get the couple's mask, or the giant wallet, or the unbreakable sword upgrade, you're probably playing the game wrong.

Well put Jimbob. Thumbs Up! Now that I think about it you could probably make a case for most all the 3d Zelda's (excluding BotW) not being "proper" Zelda games BUT that's silly so I'm not going to. Smile
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 EmptyFri 26 May 2017 - 7:14

Correct. They are all Zeldas. #AllZeldas
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 EmptyFri 26 May 2017 - 8:52

I said in my review that I don't think you should go into BotW expecting a Zelda game, but people have made compelling arguments to the contrary.

First, I reckon that works better if you substitute 'Zelda game' with '3D Zelda game': as you say, the 2D ones have often been a bit freer in scope. The other thing is that I guess the item-dungeon-boss mechanic is a big part of the 'Zelda experience' for me, which this game doesn't have. And I thought that maybe others going into it might be a bit disappointed when they discovered that wasn't there.

But, yep, I agree. It's definitely a Zelda. And it's the best Zelda there ever was.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 EmptyFri 26 May 2017 - 11:01

Thanks Jim for answering and making your points.

Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 EmptyFri 26 May 2017 - 17:42

Drunkalilly wrote:
Phenomenal game. I played it through Muss' Steam library, so at some point I'm going to buy an Xbox copy. I want to play it again, I feel I should pay for it and I want that nice hard copy with the diary and soundtrack.

Apparently, we're in for a season 2 and a tv series. I hope they're both quite removed.

Oh dear. I'm not opposed to a tv show, that could be fine. I wouldn't want a single returning main character in a sequel though. The original is perfect as its own self contained game, with perfectly valid different endings that could be scuppered by a sequel
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 EmptySat 27 May 2017 - 20:36

Some extended Life is Strange thoughts, as promised:

Spoilers, natch:
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 EmptySat 27 May 2017 - 21:04

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 EmptySat 27 May 2017 - 21:06

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0
Page 4 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next