We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Switch Pro Speculation Thread

Go down 
+11
OrangeRakoon
Muss
The_Jaster
masofdas
Jimbob
Buskalilly
The Cappuccino Kid
Treesmurf
Kriken
gjones
Balladeer
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

4k on telly, nicer screen, frame rates tidied up, home screen music. £300. Would you?
Yep, give me that Pro!
Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 Vote_lcap67%Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 67% [ 8 ]
I'd wait for a sale/bundle.
Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 Vote_lcap0%Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Not right now, but maybe down the line...
Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 Vote_lcap25%Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 25% [ 3 ]
Switch Pro is a bad idea and I hope it doesn't happen.
Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 Vote_lcap8%Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 8% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 12

AuthorMessage
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri 19 Mar 2021 - 18:49

neil wrote:
Anyone who's planning on getting the Pro keeping their original Switch? I know I'll be selling mine and hoping it reduces the cost of the upgrade a fair bit.

I quite like the idea of saving it for my daughter to have when she's older but given she's only 2 I might be replacing my Pro by the time she needs her own console. Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri 19 Mar 2021 - 19:11

It was 54 games if you count the SNES VC which was exclusive to the New 3DS over Old 3DS.

Imagine if N64 games only on the New Switch.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri 19 Mar 2021 - 19:34

That'd be quite inexcusable given they were on Wii and Wii U, would definitely upset a lot of people if that happened.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 EmptySat 20 Mar 2021 - 7:08

I don't think it'd happen with N64, but just maybe it would happen with Gamecube. I don't know to what extent Sunshine was emulation or a port on the 3D Collection.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 EmptySat 20 Mar 2021 - 11:48

It was just a rom but Cube would be neat
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon 22 Mar 2021 - 10:26

masofdas wrote:
It was 54 games if you count the SNES VC which was exclusive to the New 3DS over Old 3DS.

Imagine if N64 games only on the New Switch.

Right but obviously we aren't counting SNES games Winky Face
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
neil
Wii U Port
neil

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue 23 Mar 2021 - 14:44

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-23/nintendo-to-use-new-nvidia-graphics-chip-in-2021-switch-upgrade

The new Bloomberg story is suggesting a big bump in specs with a new SOC and more memory (saw some speculation it will be around base PS4/XBO level), DLSS, and a price of $350-$399 (which I guess means anything from £325-399?).

I'm pretty hyped for this thing.

Quote :
neil
One of Sonic's Friends

noooo
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue 23 Mar 2021 - 17:02

I wish we were still using Bits for gauging power. Is the current Switch a lot less powerful than the base PS4/Xbox One? Was the Wii-U not halfway between 360/PS3 and PS4/One already? I'm confusing myself here... If they got Red Dead 2 running on a new Switch though, that would be mightily impressive.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue 23 Mar 2021 - 18:00

Wii U was on par with PS360 basically, so Switch a portable one of those.

Where this Pro would be PS4ONE by these rumours.

TFlops become the new Bits but then you have the Series S which is 4TF but One X is 6TF yet Series S uses power better due to other new things.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue 23 Mar 2021 - 19:01

masofdas wrote:
Wii U was on par with PS360 basically, so Switch a portable one of those.

That's wild. I guess there were a lot of 360 ports to Wii-U but I can't see Pikmin 3 or Breath of the Wild on a 360. Maybe that's just Nintendo's exemplary coding. Also, by this logic, they got The Witcher 3 and Doom Eternal working on 360 level hardware? That can't be right.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue 23 Mar 2021 - 19:18

masofdas wrote:
TFlops become the new Bits but then you have the Series S which is 4TF but One X is 6TF yet Series S uses power better due to other new things.

Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 Giphy
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue 23 Mar 2021 - 19:25

Rum wrote:
masofdas wrote:

Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue 23 Mar 2021 - 19:37

I had a look and it breaks down like this:

From bits to teraflops:
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue 23 Mar 2021 - 20:19

I still think it's a tad irrelevant as the Series S would be below the PS4 Pro for instance.

Yet Series S is using Zen2 where PS4 Pro Jaguar CPU, those things should be taken into account as well and other architecture improvements from 7 years ago.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu 25 Mar 2021 - 13:46

Flops are only a part of the story these days. It's a measure of computational power but not necessarily gaming power as there is a lot more to the story than that. They're big numbers people like to point to, but until things are benchmarked they don't mean a whole lot. Although obviously huge differences will matter and it's amazing to see how far we've come!

You can look at the top end RTX 3090 vs the RTX 3080 Nvidia cards which both use the same architecture. The 3090 has a about 16% more flops but in real terms that doesn't even give you 16% more FPS. It outperforms the 3080, sure, but not by that much.

Historically Nvidia and AMD have produced cards with pretty comparable Flop numbers across their ranges, but Nvidia's superior architecture and texture buffering has made their cards significantly better at the mid to high end (until this generation, where AMD arguably edge out or equal Nvidia in everything but Ray-Tracing).

Things like DLSS 2.0 on a Switch would be much more significant. DLSS is Nvidia's upscaling technology, which allows games to be rendered at lower resolution before being upscaled to 4k for the end user. It's always better looking to render without upscaling if possible from a fidelity perspective, but Nvidia really are the masters of making a low resolution image look very good when upscaled. You can tell the difference in side by sides with native resolution if you're a Digital Foundry type and look closely, but the average user won't notice.

And that would be the main thing for a Pro if I were to hazard a guess. Given that you can switch between handheld or docked, you're going to want a chipset that's not pumping out loads of heat, that doesn't need masses of cooling or a huge power supply, but which can make a lot of upscaling calculations whilst keeping the image looking smooth and consistent. For Nvidia, DLSS is one of the major things they're pushing right now so I'm sure they'd love that slapped on the Switch dock or box somewhere. It'll require some flop increase sure, but it's not the same measure as bits.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu 25 Mar 2021 - 14:55

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu 25 Mar 2021 - 20:07

Looking at the discussion above, I think I finally understand how Buska feels when he sees a bunch of numbers.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/ Online
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri 26 Mar 2021 - 18:41

Double-post:

neil wrote:
Quote :
neil
One of Sonic's Friends

noooo

Amidst the numbers and flops and them I missed this. Grin One of the many good things about having a new forumite is seeing them rise through the early, somewhat shoddier ranks!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu 8 Jul 2021 - 6:42

Well OLED chat has moved to Pro talked (sorry guys but sort goes hand in hand) but we're not the only ones, sure I could be on about almost Monster Hunter Stories 2 review.

Yet it's not that, no it's your insiders (bloomberg etc) already talking about a Pro.

They bring up like everything right part from more power and how they heard games taking advantage of Pro, which if just OLED then not taking advantage in the way thinking.

Guess they did some research as due to component shortages (looks at lack of PS5's) this OLED is a stop cap with the real Pro coming sometime next year likely alongside BotW2.

Basically Pro talk has already begun again.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu 8 Jul 2021 - 10:01

masofdas wrote:
Well OLED chat has moved to Pro talked
Quote :
They bring up like everything right part from more power and how they heard games taking advantage of Pro, which if just OLED then not taking advantage in the way thinking.

Quote :
Basically Pro talk has already begun again.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu 8 Jul 2021 - 10:08

It's never going away.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu 8 Jul 2021 - 10:11

I was more confused by some of your weird wording.

I know the rumours are never going away but I decided a while ago I just don't believe anything a supposed "insider" says.

There's no Switch Pro, there's no GTA 6, Hillary isn't going to Guantanamo and Tom Holland is the only Peter Parker in the next Spider-man film.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu 8 Jul 2021 - 10:17

Yeah from the gifs I gathered but not sure how else to put well we got all this right, the thing we got wrong that's still going to happen because of X and Y reasons from these "insiders".
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri 9 Jul 2021 - 23:17

I think it's just that you seem to write in quite a rush Mas, and as a result it's occasionally hard to decipher. It's not the ideas, just the words. I still don't know what 'Well OLED chat has moved to Pro talked' is meant to say I'm afraid!

Anyway: "insiders" can bite a boaby.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 EmptySat 10 Jul 2021 - 5:26

The OLED thread, where I said chat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Switch Pro Speculation Thread   Switch Pro Speculation Thread - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Switch Pro Speculation Thread
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next