I've got 99 problems but a temporarily available simultaneous multiplayer videogame ain't one.

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 23, 24, 25
AuthorMessage
Jimbob
Snack Review
Jimbob

Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 25 EmptyFri 2 Apr 2021 - 20:35

@The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
Art Style: light trax is worth a go too, I think Jimbob knows more about that one..
He is right - do it! It's half a challenging racing game, half a chill cruise around the "M25 but Tron also".
Back to top Go down
http://jimbobsonofriber.tumblr.com/
gjones
Disciple of Maddrell
gjones

Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 25 EmptySat 10 Apr 2021 - 22:40

Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 25 MV5BMmI5NzU0NTktZjBlMi00Mjc3LTgwYzUtZmY2YzVmYjM3ZDIyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTM2MDQ5NTU@._V1_

Wild Wild Racing (2000)

Realising I could actually play a PS2 emulator with my DualShock 4 led me down the deepest, darkest corners of the year 2000. This was a launch title and I checked out a few reviews before diving into Wild Wild Racing, one of the laziest game names in history. Apparently it was commended for being pretty, yet playing it now I do wonder what class A drugs reviewers were on back then.

What we have is a straightforward buggy racer, with you driving through lengthy courses (usually about five minutes long) against three competitors. You've got a Championship mode where you win trophies, a Time Attack mode for the sadistic and a Challenge mode which is a mix of Tony Hawk and Outrun 2. You can do a S-K-A-T-E style challenge where you collect letters, to unlock a car. There is also a mode where you drive into a ball and bounce through the level. It's not exactly wild but I can see what the intention was. Aside from that, any comparison to Tony Hawk or OutRun ends there because this is mediocrity personified.

Screenshot:

As a racer you would not think this is on the same console as Burnout 3. It's a beefed-up PS1 game and as you can see from the screenshot I took, looks about as wild as an episode of Heartbeat. It's visually bland and empty, taking place on mountainous terrain that somehow punishes you for doing jumps. You have less control when airborne than you do on the ground - it's a weird one. The vehicle's brake does nothing whilst the handbrake will stop you dead immediately - you have to tap the handbrake to navigate corners. My biggest gripe with Wild Wild Racing is that you've got a combination of aggressive AI and scenery that will stop you dead. Remember when games would let you fly around them at 150mph and then you'll clip a signpost or a tree and it will stop you quicker than a lamppost in GTA. It's a major problem because I found myself carefully creeping around the courses avoiding opponents when the whole premise should encourage collisions and "wild" behaviour.

There are probably a bunch of games that haven't aged well from this era, particularly racing titles and Wild Wild Racing is a fine distraction for an hour but I'd have been pretty peeved to have gone home with this in October 2000.

4/10
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Major Circuit Champion
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 25 EmptySun 11 Apr 2021 - 8:29

That's a coincidence - I'm on a bit of an early PS2 binge myself, playing through some of the games from it's first few months. I'd ordered a few more yesterday too, but Wild Wild Racing never even crossed my mind. I had it back in the day, when it was unsurprisingly one of the first PS2 games to get put into a sale. You're absolutely right, it's "mediocrity personified". I remember it being so workmanlike and lacking any kind of pizzazz at all. The scenery was a pain in the arse too - I've got the same memories as you about having to crawl around the track and avoid any race-scuppering collisions. 

I might be wrong, but I think the demo disk that came packaged with the launch day PS2s came with a two-game demo for ISS and Wild Wild Racing. What a poor showcase for your system, two beefed-up PS1 games if I ever saw them.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Maddrell
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 25 EmptyWed 14 Apr 2021 - 21:33

Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 25 Silentscope

Silent Scope (2000)

I had no idea how much of a kick in the teeth this game is. Having enjoyed Silent Scope in the arcades what must be two decades ago now, I expected a solid conversion. To be fair, this is a solid conversion. But the appeal of the arcade machine is lost in translation because there's no giant sniper rifle to hold. Turns out there's NO lightgun support for this on PS2 (there is on the Xbox port) which is properly cheeky, considering this retailed at £40.

I don't actually have a PS2 lightgun so it would have been lost on me anyway - so how does it play with a controller? I mean... it plays but the game is borderline broken. You slowly drag your giant, magnified reticle across the screen but I found myself often missing my shots, or the target would move. Navigation is a lot less precise.

You do get the full arcade game but the timer is now more deadly than any nameless goon as you inevitably run out of time because Konami didn't consider how the arcade version is designed (which is to eat quarters) doesn't apply to the home console version. That being said, the sniper (a slow, methodical profession) probably isn't the best suited style for an arcade title. But if you have a responsive lightgun, the premise works. It's worth noting that Silent Scope 1, 2 and 3 were individually released in this format on PS2, but Xbox owners got them in one package. They also could purchase a sniper rifle peripheral so it's difficult to recommend any of these titles when they play like this.

Shooting is still snappy in that Virtua Cop manner and there's a certain charm to the graphical style: chunky but not too simple. Where the arcade title succeeded was it made you feel like a master marksman, picking off enemies as you manoeuvred your rifle quickly across the screen. The console port makes you feel like you're lying in treacle as you take an eye test - it doesn't feel fun or rewarding at all. This isn't necessarily the game's fault; it's the execution. Considering this game is all about the perfect execution - it, unfortunately, misses the target.

4/10
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Major Circuit Champion
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 25 EmptyThu 15 Apr 2021 - 16:55

Aww! I quite like Silent Scope's console ports! I only had the chance to play Silent Scope in the arcade just once or twice, and I thought they adapted it well enough to the Dreamcast and PlayStation 2. 

That's another funny coincidence though. I was thinking about playing through Silent Scope again a couple of weeks ago, but I couldn't find my copy. Likewise, my copy of Silent Scope 2 has a fucked disc that my PS2 won't read. That XBox trilogy you'd mentioned isn't compatible with my 360, so I instead went here for my Silent Scope kicks:

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 25 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?
Page 25 of 25Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 23, 24, 25