Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Favourite RPG

Go down 
+22
Buskalilly
OrangeRakoon
nupkin
2becomecarrion
Athrun888
ZeroSuitSamus2
Vidofnir
Darunia
JayMoyles
mandlecreed
shanks
Jimbob
masofdas
rlsniper789
Crumpy Andy
Kezz182
fronkhead
ZeroJones
Silver light
Admin
The_Jaster
Balladeer
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Favourite RPG - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favourite RPG   Favourite RPG - Page 5 EmptyTue 12 Jan 2016 - 10:55

Conversely, the retro stylings of LA was probably why I never finished it, when I finally came to it on the 3DS VC.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Favourite RPG   Favourite RPG - Page 5 EmptyTue 12 Jan 2016 - 11:22

Ban request
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Favourite RPG   Favourite RPG - Page 5 EmptyTue 12 Jan 2016 - 11:25

I'm still an admin. for now.

Favourite RPG - Page 5 Request-denied
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Favourite RPG   Favourite RPG - Page 5 EmptyTue 12 Jan 2016 - 13:01

I've never really taken to the 2d Zelda's personally. Having grown up playing Ocarina and Majoras I just wasn't pulled in with the 2d graphics. Strange, since I've played many a retro 2d game and loved them, but me and old-school Zelda just do not get along.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Favourite RPG   Favourite RPG - Page 5 EmptyTue 12 Jan 2016 - 13:25

Athrun888 wrote:
I've never really taken to the 2d Zelda's personally.  Having grown up playing Ocarina and Majoras I just wasn't pulled in with the 2d graphics.  Strange, since I've played many a retro 2d game and loved them, but me and old-school Zelda just do not get along.  

Same. I grew up on N64 and I struggle with Zelda and other SNES titles retrospectively. Two games have gripped me from that console - Super Metroid and Chrono Trigger. I just can't get in to A Link to the Past despite buying it on both Wii and Wii-U VCs. The funny thing is, I did quite enjoy Minish Cap on the GBA.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Favourite RPG   Favourite RPG - Page 5 EmptyTue 12 Jan 2016 - 13:41

Ocarina of Time was my first Zelda, and Link's Awakening was my second. I'm not a massive fan of LTTP, the first two Zeldas are incredibly dated, and despite liking them I have never finished either of the Oracle games. Link's Awakening is above them all, as it just does everything right, and the whole package has a rare charm (in terms of character, I would definitely rank Minish Cap as second to it amongst the 2D Zeldas).

The 2D games are definitely a very different experience to the 3D games, but then I think they are all a different experience to each other.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Favourite RPG   Favourite RPG - Page 5 EmptyTue 12 Jan 2016 - 14:38

I really like LoZMC, voted it top in the Wii U Virtual Console vote. And my love for ALBW is well-known; finished and enjoyed LttP too, although I'm not its greatest fan. But I just couldn't get into either LA or Oracle of Seasons. I tried, I really did... Sad

(I also tried the original on Wii VC, but that's a relic nowadays.)
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Favourite RPG   Favourite RPG - Page 5 EmptyTue 12 Jan 2016 - 16:31

My first Zelda was Wind Waker and the 2D ones have never clicked with me at all, even if I own them all.

@Athrun I've bought Steins;Gate on VITA that I will find out about Makise, as I may play this first as it's way shorter and a easy platinum.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Favourite RPG   Favourite RPG - Page 5 EmptyTue 12 Jan 2016 - 16:34

I definitely find it harder to get into old 2D Zeldas than 3D ones. OoT and MM I've gone back and played through only fairly recently, but the NES and Game Boy Zeldas I just can't get through. The DS and 3DS games are okay, though. I think the difference is that newer 2D Zeldas have a bit of an arcadier pace to them, whereas the older ones are grand affairs without the actual looks and sounds to justify the slow pace and long length.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Favourite RPG   Favourite RPG - Page 5 EmptyTue 12 Jan 2016 - 16:39

I'd buy that reasoning for a rupee.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Favourite RPG   Favourite RPG - Page 5 EmptyTue 12 Jan 2016 - 17:10

Surprised to see I'm not alone with the 2d Zelda's. Always got the impression I was a bit of a freak for not getting in to them, especially back in the days when I'd list the franchise as one of my favourites.

masofdas wrote:
@Athrun I've bought Steins;Gate on VITA that I will find out about Makise, as I may play this first as it's way shorter and a easy platinum.

Excellent, soon you shall know what happens when a well written tsundere appears! Just remember not to skip the va dialog, it may be Japanese but it really adds emotional punch to the scenes with the delivery. The cast are all amazingly acted. Not to mention Okabe's engrish is absolutely hilarious!
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Favourite RPG   Favourite RPG - Page 5 EmptyTue 12 Jan 2016 - 17:24

As an elder statesman, my first Zelda game was the first Zelda game. :old: My perspective is totally swapped from what people have been sharing so far: I was totally chuffed with 2D Zeldas and then they had to go and mess with it by adding a new dimension to it. I have learned to love 3D Zeldas - thank the original Wind Waker for that - but my heart container belongs to a top-down 2D Link and not this grooved-up, rounded-out fellow that sometimes wears his togs. No
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Favourite RPG   Favourite RPG - Page 5 EmptyTue 12 Jan 2016 - 18:01

Best RPG thread and we're talking about Zeldas. Masofdas is winning! Afraid
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Favourite RPG   Favourite RPG - Page 5 EmptyTue 12 Jan 2016 - 18:07

I could of used the thread to talk about Persona 4 instead when I start playing it.  

Zelda is a RPG
Back to top Go down
Katie Hopkins
Chuffster
Katie Hopkins

PostSubject: Re: Favourite RPG   Favourite RPG - Page 5 EmptyTue 12 Jan 2016 - 18:17

The Legend of ZELDA? As usual, a man does all the work and a woman gets the credit.

"Women don’t want equal treatment, they couldn’t handle it if they got it. It’s a tough world out there. What a lot of women are actually looking for is special treatment. What women need to realise is that they have to toughen up."
She really fucking said that bit.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Favourite RPG   Favourite RPG - Page 5 EmptyTue 12 Jan 2016 - 22:25

I see that small text. Commit to your character. Naughty
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Favourite RPG   Favourite RPG - Page 5 EmptyWed 13 Jan 2016 - 9:58

Drunkalilly wrote:
I think the difference is that newer 2D Zeldas have a bit of an arcadier pace to them, whereas the older ones are grand affairs without the actual looks and sounds to justify the slow pace and long length.

I think this is somewhat true of LTTP, and Oracle of Ages turned into a slog too, but I wouldn't say this for either Link's Awakening or Minish Cap. Both games are pocket sized in feel (Minish Cap is literally a shrunken down version of Link!) that work to the handheld's strengths, as does Phantom Hourglass. Minish Cap is a super short and snappy game with only 4(?) dungeons, and Link's Awakening can be blasted through at a fair pace too. It has a lot less padding than say Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess, and the tone is different also. When you talk about the games being "grand affairs", that makes me think of the saving all of Hyrule from Ganon plots common to the likes of LTTP, OoT and TP. Link's Awakening has its own new world and new story that is a lot more personal and self-contained. It's excellent, but it doesn't evoke the grand, world-spanning narratives of its bigger brothers.

If you're talking poor pacing though, look no further than Spirit Track's trains. Fun to begin with, but it fast becomes an absolute chore to get around, and lead to me dropping the game before I finished it.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Favourite RPG   Favourite RPG - Page 5 EmptySun 22 Jul 2018 - 18:05

Balla posted recently that he and Jay are the big JRPG fans along with Athrun. I'd disagree and I'd say Andy is a big fan along with myself, as I know some think the genre is pish that I did think best posted here than the random thoughts thread but could we maybe do like we did for 2D platformers but for JRPGs?
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Favourite RPG   Favourite RPG - Page 5 EmptySun 22 Jul 2018 - 18:06

...I can't remember what it was we did for 2D platformers. Laughing

Did we give our top 10 or something?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Favourite RPG   Favourite RPG - Page 5 EmptySun 22 Jul 2018 - 18:13

Yeah, we posted our Top 10's and we may have done it in this thread but that would have been over 2 years ago.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Favourite RPG   Favourite RPG - Page 5 EmptySun 22 Jul 2018 - 18:31

Aye, I'm down with sharing my top 10. I'll need to think though, so I'll post it up over the course of next week at some point. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Favourite RPG   Favourite RPG - Page 5 EmptySun 22 Jul 2018 - 18:41

Same, got to have a good think also I'm just doing JRPG's or what I'd consider one (Kingdom Hearts is always an iffy one) and not Action or Western etc
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Favourite RPG   Favourite RPG - Page 5 EmptySun 22 Jul 2018 - 20:04

I don't mind giving this a shot over the course of the next week or so! But only if Mas doesn't use it to take a throwaway comment too seriously and 'prove' that he's one of the biggest JRPG fans on the forum. Naughty

I'm predicting a fair few Pokémon games on the list...
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Favourite RPG   Favourite RPG - Page 5 EmptySun 22 Jul 2018 - 22:43

I mean, proving you're the biggest fan of anything is arbitrary dick waving anyway.

...but I'm definitely the biggest fighting game fan on the forum. Winky Face Laughing
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Favourite RPG   Favourite RPG - Page 5 EmptySun 22 Jul 2018 - 22:51

I was getting flawless victories before you were born.

I personally hope much like the 2D Platformer posts we get some good chat and I bought Henry Hatworth after seeing it on Balla's list, maybe the same will happen here.

Last edited by masofdas on Sun 22 Jul 2018 - 23:14; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favourite RPG   Favourite RPG - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Favourite RPG
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next