We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Random retro thoughts

Go down 
+9
masofdas
gjones
Treesmurf
JayMoyles
The Cappuccino Kid
ZeroJones
Buskalilly
Jimbob
The_Jaster
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

Random retro thoughts - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 3 EmptySun 17 Feb 2019 - 20:56

Chris Scullion (you know the chap) is doing a "game club" where everyone is playing an old game. It's currently Zelda II, and I'm blooming well going to join in. I don't need an excuse to play that!
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 3 EmptySun 17 Feb 2019 - 21:01

His Discord channel (i.e. chatroomy thing) for it is hotching as well.

I use the rest of that Discord channel to chat to him and his mates. Looooooot of notifications all of a sudden...
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 3 EmptyMon 25 Feb 2019 - 10:29

Digital Foundry don't only look at modern games they also go back and look at retro games and things which can be fascinating, such as looking back at Sony's E3 2006 the one with $599, Ridge Racer, Giant Enemy Crab and so on

I watched it back and it was an awful presentation with everyone seemingly disinterested but looking at the games there were some good things

Heavenly Sword, this was rather early in the PS3's life and I thought it was good along with decent use of the Sixaxis

Folklore, I recently picked this up again and it's become a bit of a cult classic but dam the lack of a trophy patch

Uncharted, Didn't look great at this E3 and the first is just very good but we all know how the series went from there

Resistance, Not the best launch title and now looks like the blandest greyest thing

Assassin's Creed, The first is still the only one I've finished but I did get it on 360

Coded Arms, Never came out

Tekken 6, Umm it's Tekken but I feel this was an iffy one

Sonic 06, One of the few Sonic games I've not played

Virtua Tennis, I feel I played this on 360

Virtua Fighter 5, This was rather early for the PS3 and was an "exclusive" plus it was at 1080p but I remember taking my PS3 to my uncles, who at the time didn't have an HDTV and the PS3 looked absolutely atrocious on a CRT.

Stranglehold, Another I played on 360 not PS3

Armoured Core 4, I never actually played this

Lair, not the best Christmas present this game

Warhawk, Wasn't really for me

The big two that sold me were Final Fantasy XIII and MGS4 along with Square Enix showing Final Fantasy Versus XIII and Final Fantasy Agito XIII that year.

This was odd looking back and now thinking about it as I didn't play FFX, FFXI or FFXII on PS2 and even though I knew who Naughty Dog and Insomniac were due to Crash and Spyro, I didn't play Jak or Ratchet again as I had little to no interest in the PS2 and lot of the games shown came to Xbox 360 and sometimes first.

That I do think the Blu Ray player & having an HDTV and wanting something to take advantage of that plus MGS4 was the big sells even at $599 for me (Was £425 with a few things), along with the PS3 coming out in Europe the month of my first pay packet which was a big draw as I could see what I earned with my money.

Basically, Sony needs to show Final Fantasy XVI and MGS6 Kojima game for PS5 and I'm sold.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 3 EmptyMon 25 Feb 2019 - 11:05

I think everyone was mostly put off by the price, weren't they?

The games were decent, nothing special but decent; but at the time the price felt like a gut-punch. I think it still would!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 3 EmptyMon 25 Feb 2019 - 11:23

Nothing special? Did you not read Metal Gear Solid?

I was thinking about that for PS5 and Xbox Scarlett X like will those be $500-600? That sounds expensive (in 2006 it certainly was) but I believe Samsung are bringing out a foldable phone which is about $1900 which to me is utter madness.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 3 EmptyMon 25 Feb 2019 - 11:24

Skimmed the lower half of the post to be honest. Embarrassed One special game, then.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 3 EmptyMon 25 Feb 2019 - 11:30

Most launches / year one is only one or two special games with the Switch (most people) having more than that, but does show you need a killer app.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 3 EmptyMon 25 Feb 2019 - 11:35

masofdas wrote:

Stream it! Stream it! Stream it!
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 3 EmptyMon 25 Feb 2019 - 11:38

Drunkalilly wrote:
masofdas wrote:

Stream it! Stream it! Stream it!

I think it might even be backwards compatible on Xbox One
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 3 EmptyMon 25 Feb 2019 - 11:55

If it isn't now, it will be eventually.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 3 EmptyMon 25 Feb 2019 - 13:34

Bring back warhawk pls
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 3 EmptyMon 25 Feb 2019 - 15:30

@Drunka I was thinking of Unleashed which is BC

@OR Warhawk BR
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 3 EmptyMon 25 Feb 2019 - 16:29

Pls no
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 3 EmptyTue 26 Feb 2019 - 0:09

Unleashed had good sonic bits but it also had the infamous werehog sections.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 3 EmptySun 31 Mar 2019 - 19:24

Yesterday, the Nintendo section in GAME's Ayr store made me feel very nostalgic.

Random retro thoughts - Page 3 IMG_20190330_092521213_zpszo7p1lkw

Games new and pre-owned, games from last week and games from fifteen years ago, games that used to be mine and games that I've never heard of before. I thought it was quite nice to see DS, Wii, 3DS and Wii U all together. I usually just go into GAME and pick up what I'm after, but I spent a good ten minutes looking through that rack.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 3 EmptySun 31 Mar 2019 - 20:20

I don't think I've ever seen that many Wii U games in a store.

Thought you'd might have posted about the Mega Drive Mini coming with M2 doing the emulation and 40 games that aren't just SEGA titles as Castlevania Bloodlines has been confirmed.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 3 EmptySun 31 Mar 2019 - 22:40

I'm quite interested in getting the Mega drive mini as there's probably a fair few games I just didn't play.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 3 EmptySun 31 Mar 2019 - 22:53

A thread can get made for the Mega Drive Mini by someone, sometime. I don't think I've seen that many Wii U games either, and I'd think that must be a decent percentage of all the games that came out in total.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 3 EmptyMon 1 Apr 2019 - 7:06

Woof, that blue shelf. Obligatory joke about not thinking the Wii U had that many games, except obviously it did. It wasn't the Virtual Boy.

Did you pick up any bargains Cappa?
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 3 EmptyMon 1 Apr 2019 - 13:07

What kind of bizzarre Nintendo living bubble town do you live in, and can I move there?
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 3 EmptyMon 1 Apr 2019 - 22:28

Balladeer wrote:
Woof, that blue shelf.  Obligatory joke about not thinking the Wii U had that many games, except obviously it did.  It wasn't the Virtual Boy.

Did you pick up any bargains Cappa?

Nah. I had a couple of Wii U games that I was going to buy (as they're all 50% off the RRP), but I decided that I didn't need them. Still, there's some good bargains for somebody else. I think the two Bayonetta games were something like £6.49. Paper Mario Colour Splash was only a tenner too. I'd offer to pick stuff up for folk, but I'll not be back in that town until the end of the month.

OrangeRakoon wrote:
What kind of bizzarre Nintendo living bubble town do you live in, and can I move there?

I know that GAME shifts their stock around if it's not selling in certain stores...but why it's all wound up in a small seaside town with no real Nintendo base is a mystery to me. No joke, some of those Wii games that I traded in have been there for literal years, and I don't know how they're thinking that they'll shift the 'new' ones they've got in.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 3 EmptyThu 4 Apr 2019 - 0:09

They probably heard about some guy who just loves a bargain.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 3 EmptyTue 16 Apr 2019 - 22:22

That GAME display is looking nothing like that anymore, sad to say. They've reduced all Wii and DS games to two quid, and all Wii U games to a fiver. I was too slow, all the quality stuff in that picture is gone. You might get a deal in your local GAME, but don't bother coming along to mine 😟
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2019 - 7:08

Yep, I said elsewhere a GAME I went to had all DS, Wii, Wii U and VITA in a clearance bin. I've since been to my local GAME, they didn't have a bin but everything had been reduced on the shelf beyond the 50%, nothing really left though.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2019 - 9:35

Aye, all the stuff left yesterday was what you'd probably get for cheaper in the CEX across the street. Their PS3 and 360 games were all two quid as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Random retro thoughts
Page 3 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next