We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Random retro thoughts

Go down 
+9
masofdas
gjones
Treesmurf
JayMoyles
The Cappuccino Kid
ZeroJones
Buskalilly
Jimbob
The_Jaster
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

Random retro thoughts - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 4 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2019 - 22:46

I didn't reckon that a thread for this would have legs, so into this thread goes the news about the Capcom Home Arcade.

It looks... odd.

Random retro thoughts - Page 4 Https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Folliebarder%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F04%2Fcapcom_home_arcade-1200x675

Here's your line-up of games too.

1944: The Loop Master
Alien vs. Predator
Armored Warriors
Capcom Sports Club
Captain Commando
Cyberbots: Full Metal Madness
Darkstalkers: The Night Warriors
Eco Fighters
Final Fight
Ghouls’n Ghosts
Giga Wing
Mega Man: The Power Battle
Progear
Street Fighter™ II: Hyper Fighting
Strider
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo

Seems like it's going to be geared towards two player play, what with the second stick latches onto the machine and all along with the fighters and multiplayer titles stacked onto the console. Thoughts, folks?
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 4 EmptyThu 18 Apr 2019 - 9:24

It's about £180 too much
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 4 EmptyThu 18 Apr 2019 - 10:28

It looks kinda cool and is a neat idea but doesn't have that many games on it and is €230 which is way too much.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 4 EmptyThu 18 Apr 2019 - 15:52

DP but a different subject as Konami Boo have announced the Castlevania Collection line up (the one I care about)

Castlevania (1987, NES), Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest (1988, NES), Castlevania III: Dracula’s Curse (1990, NES), Kid Dracula (1990, NES)
Castlevania: The Adventure (1989, Game Boy), Castlevania II: Belmont’s Revenge (1991, Game Boy)
Super Castlevania IV (1991, SNES)
Castlevania Bloodlines (1994, Mega Drive)

Looks a good set and the arcade one came out today and is £16 on XBL at least
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 4 EmptyThu 18 Apr 2019 - 16:16

I'm excited for that, unlike the Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection that Konami released today - it's mostly just a load of random shooters bunged together there.

Cadtlevania: The Adventure is honking. It might be the worst game in any big time gaming franchise, it's utterly, utterly keech.

Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 4 EmptyThu 18 Apr 2019 - 16:28

Yeah the other two collections don't interest me but I know Contra is a favourite for some
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 4 EmptyThu 18 Apr 2019 - 16:47

That Capcom home arcade is definitely aimed a certain type of audience, I also find it odd that while most devs are releasing more affordable mini systems they go the complete opposite way with theirs. Laughing

Anyhow, I would like to try some of those games on it but it's too much of a luxury item for me, though I did see some good suggestions on twitter where they could just take some of the games from it & update the Beat em up bundle.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 4 EmptySun 21 Apr 2019 - 11:00

masofdas wrote:
is €230
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Capcom go fuck yourself.

Yeah, that Castlevania one sounds much better.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 4 EmptySun 27 Oct 2019 - 11:51

Didn't know where else to bring this up, but I've got to bring the No Context Gaming In The Clinton Years Twitter page to your attention.

https://twitter.com/NoContectGitCY

I've been wanting to do a big thread about Gaming In The Clinton Years for ages, but I didn't get round to it. This Twitter feed is much better though. It basically takes snippets from reviews that were part of a serious videogames show that was broadcast on a Maryland public-access channel in the mid-to-late 1990s. Happily, all these reviews were archived in the 2000s, and uploaded onto YouTube under a new title, Gaming In The Clinton Years. They've been there for over ten years. 

What makes Gaming In The Clinton Years stand out is that it was appallingly bad, the reviewer is absolutely batshit crazy, and his reviews are usually completely mental. You definitely wouldn't watch all these reviews, they're just terrible. But, these out of context moments can be hilarious, and I definitely encourage you to give that Twitter page a read. It cheered me up!

Here's one of the more famous reviews - if you don't know already, this'll give you a good idea about what this was all about:

And this was serious too!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 4 EmptySun 27 Oct 2019 - 11:59

I thought 'front-loaded anvils' was bad, but nothing could have prepared me for that latter segment. Absolutely incredible. Laughing How long did this series go on for?
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 4 EmptyTue 29 Oct 2019 - 0:59

Oh wow, that brought me back about ten years there - I followed a YouTube channel called retsupurae that did commentary on shite gaming reviews/Let's Plays and they started off a long running series going through the Navigatr back catalogue. When they reached that episode, it absolutely knocked them for a loop and they weren't able to throw any snark at the rest of the video because the reviewer's big plans for Tomb Raider 3 had them absolutely pissing themselves. A goldmine of laughs, Navigatr.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 4 EmptyTue 29 Oct 2019 - 20:16

I've found it fascinating, for years. Whether it's the pseudointellectual bollocks that the reviewer speaks, his blatant Nintendo fanboyism, or indeed the complete lack of context with which these videos were uploaded, I just find it very interesting.

His Super Mario 64 review is a cracker, going wildly off-topic and completley spoiling the ending, not once but twice!

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 4 EmptyWed 30 Oct 2019 - 18:57

Holy spoilers Batman!  When was this released? Also, 'Most players will only take two weeks to finish the game...'  Only!?

That aside I didn't think it was awful! Not compared to some of the gubbins I saw on that Twitter feed, anyway...
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 4 EmptyWed 30 Oct 2019 - 23:06

This has been enjoyably bonkers, though nothing in that Mario 64 vid or what I saw of the twitter account topped the Lara Croft stuff . . .
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 4 EmptySun 10 Nov 2019 - 20:00

One of the guys on Scullion's TOH posted about Argos putting up old catalogues going back to 70's.

Which can be found here
http://argosbookofdreams.co.uk/

Fun looking back at these
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 4 EmptySun 5 Jan 2020 - 15:21

Double Post

I went through some draws etc today to see if I could find anything that could be used in a future feature much like Jay's recent Xbox one and I couldn't find much part from two things and neither are worth a thing on their own

Half-Life Trailer from Dream On 17, which was cancelled but was finished that I have a version of it

and the other

the Wesker Report
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 4 EmptyWed 29 Jan 2020 - 9:24

This is ingenious. Shame he didn’t have Bongo Bongo as the boss, mind.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 4 EmptySun 16 Feb 2020 - 19:41

That was pretty cool that - it always makes me wonder what other feats the programmers could achieve though!

Speaking of which: At the most recent Games Done Quick, there was a hacked version of Link to the Past - this one in fact. Previously they'd built it to randomise item locations, but this version also added random status effects.
Troll-y Twitch Chat aside, I would like:
1) Nintendo to re-released LTTP - maybe in the new Link's Awakening engine
2) Consider building some kind of extra "random mode" for after you've played the game proper; any excuse to re-play the game again
3) Not the random deaths though
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 4 EmptyMon 17 Feb 2020 - 12:20

Jimbob wrote:
That was pretty cool that - it always makes me wonder what other feats the programmers could achieve though!

Speaking of which: At the most recent Games Done Quick, there was a hacked version of Link to the Past - this one in fact. Previously they'd built it to randomise item locations, but this version also added random status effects.
Troll-y Twitch Chat aside, I would like:
1) Nintendo to re-released LTTP - maybe in the new Link's Awakening engine
2) Consider building some kind of extra "random mode" for after you've played the game proper; any excuse to re-play the game again
3) Not the random deaths though

Probably not a hot take, but I reckon Nintendo will definitely apply the Link's Awakening engine to A Link to the Past and The Minish Cap. Not sure about the Oracle of Ages games, as they were Capcom, but guessing Nintendo own the code.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 4 EmptyMon 17 Feb 2020 - 12:23

Minish is also Capcom.

I would take a semi-remake of that, best 2D Zelda in HD is a win.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 4 EmptyMon 17 Feb 2020 - 18:54

I'd say ALBW edges it nowadays, but you know what? A shiny remake might be enough to switch that around for me again. Brilliant game either way, doesn't deserve to be forgotten (and, dare I say it, would probably feel less old in a remake than LttP (apparently I do)).
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 4 EmptyWed 19 Feb 2020 - 11:33

We already have the best 2D Zelda in HD Razz

Minish Cap and ALBW are definitely just behind it though
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 4 EmptyWed 19 Feb 2020 - 19:47

I suspect I will disagree with you unless the last three dungeons in LA are utter bangers.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 4 EmptyMon 8 Jun 2020 - 19:57

Today is the twentieth anniversary of the release of Hogs of War.

The best turn-based game ever, completely out-Wormsing Worms and if you're willing to accept it for being of it's time and a wee bit racist the funniest game of all time. 

I just wanted an excuse to talk about Hogs of War.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 4 EmptySat 17 Oct 2020 - 10:27

I want one https://www.analogue.co/duo/
of these especially at the price as till now these analogue things cost more than a actual Mega Drive (know not the point) but this Duo is cheaper than buying a PC Engine plus does everything that you don't need 6 addons on the side of your PC Engine which all cost a bit as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random retro thoughts   Random retro thoughts - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Random retro thoughts
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next