We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!

Go down 
+12
Buskalilly
NintenDUCK
The Cappuccino Kid
masofdas
The_Jaster
ZeroJones
Admin
Treesmurf
Balladeer
Silver light
Crumpy Andy
JayMoyles
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 11 EmptySun 21 Jul 2013 - 19:58

Weren't you going to vote for lunar knights jaster, it got at least two votes so yours might of put in to 5th
I only voted for solatorobo as I played it lol
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 11 EmptySun 21 Jul 2013 - 20:51

Even if Jas had voted it 1st, it would only have got 9 points overall.

Just to clarify, this is the week where you can vote for Henry Hatsworth and the Puzzling Adventure, as despite what the title says, the forum has decreed that is neither puzzle nor adventure, but a platformer!

Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 11 EmptyMon 22 Jul 2013 - 0:30

I had Lunar knights as my second choice, slowly realising I haven't played many DS games at all. (or I've just forgotten most of them)
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 11 EmptyMon 22 Jul 2013 - 10:13

Blast, Solatorobo! Should probably have voted for that as I really enjoyed it at the time. Darn. Platformers, though - this is a week I've been looking forward to for a while. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 11 EmptyTue 23 Jul 2013 - 10:06

Surprising discovery: the DS doesn't actually have as many good platformers as I'd thought. I only got four votes I was actually happy with, of which the fourth wasn't all that, and then a fifth game that wasn't quite as rubbish as my other dishonourable. There is one key platformer I missed out on, though.

I am slowly coming around to the Phillips school of thinking: the DS library isn't as good as I remember it being. Then again, we've yet to hit the RPG and "other" weeks...
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 11 EmptyTue 23 Jul 2013 - 10:11

Yeah I've realised that too. I'm not sure if I've managed a 4th game so far. RPGs will be a great week though.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 11 EmptyTue 23 Jul 2013 - 11:27

Some suggestions:

Spoiler:

Certainly, I'd call all of those noteworthy DS platformers (for good reasons or bad).
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 11 EmptyTue 23 Jul 2013 - 11:45

That's a point. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: platformer or puzzle?

Also, you know what everyone's forgotten, including me? Donkey Kong: Jungle Climber. I've long since lost the game, but what I played was fun. Be right back, changing my vote...
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 11 EmptyTue 23 Jul 2013 - 11:50

Puzzle, the only remotely platformy one was the first and that was GBA.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 11 EmptyTue 23 Jul 2013 - 11:53

Ah yes, that was the one I was thinking of. Oops. Didn't actually buy any of the Minis games.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 11 EmptyTue 23 Jul 2013 - 12:03

Why's DK Jungle Climber a puzzler? You haven't even attempted to explain why you think that. You've just plastered it on the thread as if it's fact.

In my opinion, DK Jungle Climber is the epitome of a platformer as we know them; it's all about the timing, jumping across chasms and negotiating all sorts of environments. As far as genre classification goes, platformers are a piece of piss.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 11 EmptyTue 23 Jul 2013 - 12:08

Much though I would like to see another Phillips v. Andyman grudge match, I think Andyman was referring to the Mario vs. DK games. DKJC is indubitably a platformer, and anyone who thinks otherwise deserves a designation worse than "willy-head".

(waits for 949 to come back and call it an FPS)
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 11 EmptyTue 23 Jul 2013 - 12:15

Naa it's a 2D Fighter.

I haven't played Jungle Climber though so yeah I was just talking about MvsDK, sorry for not making that more clear.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 11 EmptyTue 23 Jul 2013 - 12:39

That's alright, I'm sorry if you felt I was a bit rash with you.

That said, there's been a few people in both the Wii and DS vote threads who haven't been outlining their reasons for their genre logic. Much too much of this 'nah, that's definitely X, and definitely not Y'. Well, why? At least try and engage. I want something illuminating and interesting to read, not lazy bollocks like that. There's been times that these threads have read like they're one big struggle for simple genre classification.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 11 EmptyTue 23 Jul 2013 - 12:50

I'd definitely place Mario vs DK as a puzzler - it picked up some votes during Puzzle week if I remember rightly, and I can see more of an emphasis on using your Minis logically as opposed to leaping about. Jungle Climber... difficult one as it's a "climber" more than a platformer, but substitute the pegs for platforms and you'd essentially still have a platformer, so I'd be leaning towards it being a platformer.

Cheers for the list Phillips. Smile 
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 11 EmptyTue 23 Jul 2013 - 20:09

Votes sent I could only manage 3.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 11 EmptyWed 24 Jul 2013 - 0:49

Cheers for the votes Mas. A surprising frontrunner has emerged in the early stages!
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 11 EmptyThu 25 Jul 2013 - 10:30

My votes went off this morning (after I thought I'd sent them yesterday Rolling Eyes ). It was far harder than I thought - there wasn't a standout platformer amongst the ones I've played for the DS, despite Phillips's lovely list. It'll be interesting to see what gets everyone's votes.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 11 EmptySat 27 Jul 2013 - 11:27

Howdy all, just a quick heads up - I'm working until 8pm tomorrow so the results will be delayed by a few hours, but mark my words, they'll be there, eventually!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 11 EmptySat 27 Jul 2013 - 11:36

I wish I could vote for Jungle Climber, as I loved DK: King of Swing, but I've never found time to give the sequel the same level of attention. Hoping to have my votes in for the usual time in the morning! I'm spoilt for choice with this genre, but three additional games I can mention that Phillips didn't are:

Go! Go! Cosmo Cops! (a wee bit like Jungle Climber)
Densetsu No Stafi 4 (much better than The Legendary Starfy, in my opinion)
Monster Tale (neither as good nor as hard as Henry Hatsworth (same dev team))
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 11 EmptySun 28 Jul 2013 - 9:41

I just sent off my 5 votes.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 11 EmptySun 28 Jul 2013 - 10:15

Stu_the_great wrote:
I wish I could vote for Jungle Climber, as I loved DK: King of Swing, but I've never found time to give the sequel the same level of attention. Hoping to have my votes in for the usual time in the morning! I'm spoilt for choice with this genre, but three additional games I can mention that Phillips didn't are:

Go! Go! Cosmo Cops! (a wee bit like Jungle Climber)
Densetsu No Stafi 4 (much better than The Legendary Starfy, in my opinion)
Monster Tale (neither as good nor as hard as Henry Hatsworth (same dev team))

I hadn't heard of any of these. In particular, I'm surprised that I didn't know that the DS had a Stafi game before the one that came to North America. Is that the best one, Stu? It's been a few years since I completed The Legendary Starfy, and could go another, better one.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 11 EmptySun 28 Jul 2013 - 11:02

Phillips wrote:
I hadn't heard of any of these. In particular, I'm surprised that I didn't know that the DS had a Stafi game before the one that came to North America. Is that the best one, Stu? It's been a few years since I completed The Legendary Starfy, and could go another, better one.

It's the best of the two DS games, in my opinion, though it's been a very long time since I played it. It's closer to its roots (I.e. the GBA games), it doesn't have any space rabbit nonsense, and typically for TOSE it's rather pretty, too. Somehow I found it much more entertaining that I didn't have a clue what was going on in the dialogue, as Stafi 5 made no sense in English. Laughing 

The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 11 256px-Densetsu_no_Stafy_4_Game_Cover

Just working on my votes. Should have 'em with you shortly.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 11 EmptySun 28 Jul 2013 - 11:26

Cheers for the input. I definitely think the script took away from The Legendary Starfy - it had me mashing the touch-screen about an hour in. I might just go for one of the cheaper GBA games though.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 11 EmptySun 28 Jul 2013 - 12:03

Phillips wrote:
Cheers for the input. I definitely think the script took away from The Legendary Starfy - it had me mashing the touch-screen about an hour in. I might just go for one of the cheaper GBA games though.

Only played the first two of those, but you can't go wrong with 'em. The story cuts are a feature of the whole series though, sadly.

~~~

My votes are in! I could've easily made a fifteen-twenty entry voting slip out for this week's poll, such is the richness of this category on DS. Grin
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!
Page 11 of 24Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17 ... 24  Next