The last deserted island I visited had smoke monsters and polar bears, not crippling debt and tents

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Switch Backlog Thread of Guilt

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
Disciple of Miyamoto
Balladeer

Switch Backlog Thread of Guilt - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switch Backlog Thread of Guilt   Switch Backlog Thread of Guilt - Page 5 Empty10/02/19, 07:32 pm

Right boys, yer man Balladeer has had a run-through of his backlog, and he's ready to do some cleaning up.

Balladeer wrote:
TWEWY (now stylus-enabled!) Not good enough (in this era) to justify a second playthrough over other games coming out.
The Gardens Between Done, but only because I was near the end.
The Messenger Got rid.
Mario Tennis: Aces (now that it's been tweaked beyond recognition, possibly into something actually good) Er... something decent, maybe?  But not good enough, it's out.
Yoku's Island Express I want to like this more than I do, I think - it's still super happy, but the pinball movement, i.e. the whole idea the game's based around, frustrates me more than it pleases me.  Still in the running for now.
Hyper Light Drifter I picked this up, died several times, and had a grand time doing so.  It's so beautiful and smooth.  Almost certainly coming back to this.
Yooka-Laylee (more of a forlorn hope to be honest) I did enjoy this, but stories of the later levels have made me cautious of getting too into this.
and I'd still quite like to buy Just Shapes and Beats. Neutral One step at a time, Balla...

So, the Ballacklog (rude - Ed.) now looks like this:

Active:

Okami HD - I still have a very soft spot for Okami.  It's a game that's good enough to warrant playing again, even with so many other games out there.

Next in line contenders:

Guacamelee 2 - I left this at an all-too-hard part.  I'd like to pick it up again, but I'm worried I'll pull all my hair out if I do.
Hyper Light Drifter - A quality-feeling game, also bloody hard.

Down the pecking order:

Yoku's Island Express - If once I finish Okami I need something easy and happy to play, this'll be my first port of call.
Yooka-Laylee - This is something I'd like to carry on with, but given stories of later worlds, I'm in no great hurry to.  May sit at the base of my backlog for a while.

Could buy:

Just Shapes and Beats - I've been good so far, but if it gets a sale I don't think I'll be able to resist.
Wandersong - Still heard good things, still not heard anything from anyone around here.
Tales of Vesperia - Honestly don't think I'll have time for another massive JRPG, but if I did, this is what I'd go for.

I'm happier with that.  Thanks for your game-finishing inspiration, Jas!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/ Online
Drunkalilly
Prince of Altea
Drunkalilly

PostSubject: Re: Switch Backlog Thread of Guilt   Switch Backlog Thread of Guilt - Page 5 Empty11/02/19, 09:21 am

Fun fact - real magazine writers/ editors find it to be irritating, unfunny and pretentious when people ( -ed) themselves. Keza McDonald and Matt Lees (I think? It may actually have been Joe Skrebels and Matt Lees on regular features) were talking about it on Cool Ghosts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
The Cappuccino Kid
Baby Brush God
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Switch Backlog Thread of Guilt   Switch Backlog Thread of Guilt - Page 5 Empty11/02/19, 10:25 am

Balladeer is a terrible writer

Last edited by The Cappuccino Kid on 12/02/19, 01:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Drunkalilly
Prince of Altea
Drunkalilly

PostSubject: Re: Switch Backlog Thread of Guilt   Switch Backlog Thread of Guilt - Page 5 Empty11/02/19, 10:30 am

I wasn't necessarily calling out Balla - I've been known to use and abuse the ( -ed) myself - but since hearing that, I've not wanted to do it.

I have to say though, much as I love the Balls Man, Skrebs and Lees are a couple of my favourite writers ever and those are some BOLD words indeed!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
Disciple of Miyamoto
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Switch Backlog Thread of Guilt   Switch Backlog Thread of Guilt - Page 5 Empty11/02/19, 07:56 pm

Cheers Cappa!  And I'll be able to prove it with my upcoming 'Let's Talk Some Bollocks About Bravely Default' post.  I think you'll love it.

Drunkalilly wrote:
I wasn't necessarily calling out Balla...

I'm glad you said this, because I thought you were!  I'll keep it away.  It's a shame, because I picked it up from NGamer: I never presumed that it was genuinely the Ed putting those comments in.  Was it?
Back to top Go down
Drunkalilly
Prince of Altea
Drunkalilly

PostSubject: Re: Switch Backlog Thread of Guilt   Switch Backlog Thread of Guilt - Page 5 Empty12/02/19, 02:14 am

Same! And yeah, apparently it was. According to Joe, if a freelancer or someone tried to put it in themselves, it was considered poor form. They're supposed to genuinely be from Matthew or someone. Feel free to ( -ed) into my posts, just don't do it in your own (Oh the possibilities... - Ad.)
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Din's Power
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Switch Backlog Thread of Guilt   Switch Backlog Thread of Guilt - Page 5 Empty12/02/19, 07:35 pm

Balladeer wrote:
I never presumed that it was genuinely the Ed putting those comments in.  Was it?

I thought it was the writer chucking that comment in too!

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Treesmurf
Yoshi
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Switch Backlog Thread of Guilt   Switch Backlog Thread of Guilt - Page 5 Empty14/02/19, 09:27 pm

It was a guy called Ed with his magical typewriter and you all know it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Balladeer
Disciple of Miyamoto
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Switch Backlog Thread of Guilt   Switch Backlog Thread of Guilt - Page 5 Empty14/02/19, 09:43 pm

I mean, that's the dream, right?

I've just punted FFIX right to the top of my backlog. Just when I thought I was out...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Switch Backlog Thread of Guilt   Switch Backlog Thread of Guilt - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Switch Backlog Thread of Guilt
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5