We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)

Go down 
+9
The Cappuccino Kid
Muss
gjones
JayMoyles
The_Jaster
Buskalilly
Rum
masofdas
Balladeer
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 4 EmptyWed 2 Feb 2022 - 20:33

Whatever form it takes is fine by me. I'm fond of the way it is but I won't be compiling the votes so whatever the host decides will be just fine.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 4 EmptyWed 2 Feb 2022 - 20:52

The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 4 Tenor

What seems to have sparked this all off is the incorrect assumption that I'm down on all Nontendo votes rather than this Nontendo vote, and Buska using this for his 'fewer votes' thing that I know he's keen on.  I know it's a while ago, but casting your minds back to this time last year and you'll see a much more engaged Balla.  Fall Guys, Tsushima, FFVIIR - these are games I can get behind!  The problem this year was that I had no interest in five out of six games, and the sixth was sodding Wordle.  It's nobody's fault but my own - y'all like what you like, but if the top five had read Psychonauts 2, Wordle, FFXIV Endwalker, It Takes Two, and The Artful Escape you'd have seen some completely different comments.  Instead we had, to give them their proper full subtitles:
  • What Looks Like Uncharted With Superheroes From An Outsider's Perspective And I Wasn't Even That Keen On The Films And That's Before The Thing With Chris Pratt Came Out
  • Stealth With Guns Not A Goose
  • A Reminder That My Least Favourite Gaming Subgenre Isn't Going Anywhere
  • The PS5 Tech. Demo. For The Boring Tech. Because Astro's Playroom Demoed The Interesting Tech. Last Year (And No Bastard Voted For It) ((Also What The Fuck Happened To That & Sign Forumotion))
  • The Actual Best Nontendo Game Of 2021
  • It Is An FPS, With A Timeloop

That's me being snarky, and I completely appreciate that my tastes are... specific, shall we say.  I just really struggled to come up with anything interesting to say this year, so I Did A Bit with the faces instead.  Sorry if it bugged anyone!  Please take solace in the knowledge that you had a whole other machine, possibly two, more than me on which to enjoy popular videogames, and I'm a bitter old man.

As for my broader thoughts about the Nontendo award, I think that's a topic for the votes discussion thread (and anyway it's Jay's choice not mine).  I do think we've got a really nice Nintendo vote coming up.

SPEAKING OF WHICH: ONTO THE OTHER AWARDS

Last edited by Balladeer on Wed 2 Feb 2022 - 22:33; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 4 EmptyWed 2 Feb 2022 - 20:52

THE 'JOIN THE HUNT' AWARD FOR BEST TAGLINE
(11 voters, 33 votes)

Did introducing an ordered vote bring order to the votes?

Third Place:

Second Place:

And The Winner Is...:

Multiple Votes:

One Vote Each:
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 4 EmptyThu 3 Feb 2022 - 12:06

That Meatopia one is so stupid, yet so brilliant. I just had to Google who Jackie Weaver is - that seemed to completely bypass me.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 4 EmptyThu 3 Feb 2022 - 13:34

Balladeer wrote:

[*]The PS5 Tech. Demo. For The Boring Tech. Because Astro's Playroom Demoed The Interesting Tech. Last Year (And No Bastard Voted For It) ((Also What The Fuck Happened To That & Sign Forumotion))

Calling Ratchet a "tech demo" is really unfair. That game was a delight to play through from start to finish and I really do think it's been underrated in some regards by many.

gjones wrote:
That Meatopia one is so stupid, yet so brilliant. I just had to Google who Jackie Weaver is - that seemed to completely bypass me.

I am stunned you missed on the legend that is Jackie Weaver last year! One of the highlights of 2021, for sure.

Last edited by JayMoyles on Thu 3 Feb 2022 - 14:13; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 4 EmptyThu 3 Feb 2022 - 13:40

JayMoyles wrote:
[quote="Balladeer"
[*]The PS5 Tech. Demo. For The Boring Tech. Because Astro's Playroom Demoed The Interesting Tech. Last Year (And No Bastard Voted For It) ((Also What The Fuck Happened To That & Sign Forumotion))

[*]

Calling Ratchet a "tech demo" is really unfair. That game was a delight to play through from start to finish and I really do think it's been underrated in some regards by many.
[/quote]

I'm down on all Nontendo Balladeer but he did say though him being snarky
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 4 EmptyThu 3 Feb 2022 - 18:11

Jackie Weaver: the hero we didn't deserve but definitely needed.

Balladeer wrote:

• What Looks Like Uncharted With Superheroes From An Outsider's Perspective And I Wasn't Even That Keen On The Films And That's Before The Thing With Chris Pratt Came Out
  • Stealth With Guns Not A Goose
  • A Reminder That My Least Favourite Gaming Subgenre Isn't Going Anywhere
  • The PS5 Tech. Demo. For The Boring Tech. Because Astro's Playroom Demoed The Interesting Tech. Last Year (And No Bastard Voted For It) ((Also What The Fuck Happened To That & Sign Forumotion))
  • The Actual Best Nontendo Game Of 2021
  • It Is An FPS, With A Timeloop

Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 4 EmptyThu 3 Feb 2022 - 20:36

The best taglines are the ones that are taken out of context. Otherwise, all but one in a hundred feel like ‘enforced fun’.

There's no correlation between the Funniest Forumite and the person who decides what the taglines are. That shouldn't be, if you think about it.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 4 EmptyFri 4 Feb 2022 - 21:07

JayMoyles wrote:
Balladeer wrote:

Like Mas says, I was intentionally being snarky - after all, I didn't play it. I'd say it's the game out of the five I didn't play that I'd be most likely to pick up if it was on a machine I owned, because I love a good colourful 3D platformer! However, and I'm only going on what I've read and heard here, but nothing makes me think it was more than a good colourful 3D platformer. A safe, by-the-numbers, unexperimental-Kirby-quality good colourful 3D platformer, raised above that only by shiny graffix and a world-hopping mechanic that was mostly used for show and barely improved on the gameplay. That's the impression I get, but it is only that.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 4 EmptyFri 4 Feb 2022 - 21:12

THE WIREBUG AWARD FOR THREAD OF THE YEAR
(11 voters, 33 votes)

Was it hard to pick a topic?

Third Place:

Second Place:

And The Winner Is...:

Multiple Votes:

One Vote Each:
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 4 EmptyFri 4 Feb 2022 - 21:21

I don't know if just a good platformer would be in the Top 5, yeah not a lot of votes but is quality like the previous one on PS4.

Some good threads there.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 4 EmptySat 5 Feb 2022 - 10:40

There were days where the forum had no new posts and there were spreads of days where I didn't visit at all. When I was though, I could consistently rely on their being interesting and worthwhile posts to read. Across here and NGamer, I thought the overall quality of the posting in 2021 was the best in any calendar year.

I probably should have voted for the current-gen Reviews thread. By large, the calibre of posting in there has been excellent. There's many posters here who I think are a lot better than the journalists who get paid for reviews.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 4 EmptySat 5 Feb 2022 - 12:14

I'm always a fan of the review threads as I'll often stumble across something there that I otherwise wouldn't have. Smurf's Chicory review got me on boarded with that game for example. I definitely go through patches of not being on the forum too much, but I always know there'll be something good to read in any of the review threads, albeit I typically only use the contemporary one as I don't really retro game.

I've got some catching up to do with the What's the Score thread but I'll tot up the scores and post a february list (whoops) today or tomorrow. I'm glad people have enjoyed it, I was actually thinking of ending season 1 of it in the summer, or the month of whenever we first started running it, and declaring the winner then but I'm open to ideas.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 4 EmptySat 5 Feb 2022 - 14:27

Agreed with the reviews thread - I think it consistently has some of the best posts and best discussion across the whole forum. I really should post more reviews myself there, I think!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 4 EmptySat 5 Feb 2022 - 16:53

This is the whole reason I'm still here, so that the forum can unite in opposition to my takes.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 4 EmptySat 5 Feb 2022 - 17:10

Laughing

Big Code Geass vibes here Balla.

Also, I reconfirm what I said in my Bum Poo Wee vote in that I'd be keen for another go of that somewhere down the road.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 4 EmptySat 5 Feb 2022 - 17:12

That's a niche reference and a half!

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 4 EmptySun 6 Feb 2022 - 16:51

Honourable Mentions
(11 contributors)

Forum-related:

Nintendo (oh boy):

Nontendo and General Gaming:

And finally:

...that's a lot of Nintendo games.  It's great to see that the Switch had so many quality titles for y'all. We still had a couple of more general topics too (although I'm not sure remasters are that honourable m'self)!  The two people who voted for everybody on the forum have a special place in my heart.  

Dishonourable Mentions
(10 contributors)

Forum-related:

Nintendo:

Nontendo and General Gaming:

And finally:

There are two things I strongly disagree with here.  The second one's that the Switch has had a bad year.  That might be true if you buy everything you could've bought on Switch somewhere else and don't look at some of the more niche offerings, but at that point you have to admit that it's more you than the Switch!  It's been the machine's second-best year for me.  That said, NFTs, antivaxxers, Boris Johnson, and eFootball are surely all worth of the shoeing(s) they were given.  Incidentally if anybody would like to buy an NFT of this post to be yours forever for only £59.99, let me know. Shifty
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 4 EmptySun 6 Feb 2022 - 17:54

I do like a NFT, and thanks to whoever it was (Cappa) who reminded me to order (which I've done) NGPC on Switch.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 4 EmptySun 6 Feb 2022 - 18:25

That's a good set of stuff in both categories, good job folks.  Thumbs Up!

---

Balla wrote:
It's great to see that the Switch had so many quality titles for y'all. We still had a couple of more general topics too (although I'm not sure remasters are that honourable m'self)!

I'm generally with you when it comes to ports/remasters as they can be games that are easily shat out on to whatever format for easy money BUT every once in a while there are some worth highlighting & the ones mentioned definitely deserve their spot here.

Oh now that I think about it I could've probably thrown Turok in here as well, even though it came out in 2019 I had an absolute blast playing it towards the end of last year.

Balla wrote:
There are two things I strongly disagree with here.  The second one's that the Switch has had a bad year.  That might be true if you buy everything you could've bought on Switch somewhere else and don't look at some of the more niche offerings, but at that point you have to admit that it's more you than the Switch!

Agreed! I had a great time playing Switch in the last year to the point that a lot of my ps4 backlog stayed firmly in that backlog.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 4 EmptySun 6 Feb 2022 - 19:35

Yep, Switch might have had its best year for me since it come out, which be seen with the switch vote.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 4 EmptySun 6 Feb 2022 - 20:09

Well it was the #YearOfTheSwitch right? I do think it's been a great year for Switch as well, there's not much that'll break people's top 10 but the sheer volume of 8/10 types has been brilliant, that being said I think 2022 could potentially be it's best yet, it's already off to a flyer with Legends.

masofdas wrote:
Buskalilly wrote:
If I believed I had hardware that could run it, I'd take you up on that. Alas, I have a laptop that sometimes turns itself off because it's playing two videos at once.

I don't want to sound like a broken record or that MS paying me, yet that issue about hardware the whole point of cloud gaming., so anyone on anything can play. Now if laptop a bit hit and miss if it be on that's fair, otherwise its a easy thing to try.

I tried this last year with my similarly naff laptop and I can confirm it was unplayable, I guess the sooner they introduce some kind of game pass dongle the better.

JayMoyles wrote:

As for the actual results, props to whoever else voted for Returnal
That'd be me, I think it's crazy how overlooked that game has been in GOTY talk, probably it's difficulty has upset everyone.

Balladeer wrote:

[/i]Astro's Playroom[i] Demoed The Interesting Tech. Last Year (And No Bastard Voted For It)
I'll have you know I voted for it and it's still probably the most enjoyable thing on PS5.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 4 EmptySun 6 Feb 2022 - 20:23

Even though I'm positive on cloud, my experience is odd on them all.

Xcloud on my phone almost unplayable, Stadia a bit better. However, Xcloud via browser on my laptop fine and is better than Stadia via my laptop. Then on my Series X via the Cloud which is a thing and how you'll play next gen games (Starfield) on your Xbox One works well, but Stadia via the Chromecast is miles better and how I've played Gylt, Destiny 2, Wavetale and Before the Storm.

Yet all use the same internet connection, so the XStick might work as well as my Chromecast does.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 4 EmptySun 6 Feb 2022 - 20:28

I fully expect streaming via an Xbox console will work great given its exactly what they're built for, me getting a Series S is incredibly likely once I've got a few bigger purchases out of the way.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 4 EmptySun 6 Feb 2022 - 20:40

Well yeah but the VCR Xbox One is a old piece of kit but was also thinking if XStick is like £100 then a used Xbox One likely better option because of OG, 360 and physical ONE games then anything such as Starfield via XCloud, if a £250 Series S too much for people.

Also say I've tried the demo on Control Cloud on Switch which also seemed fine. Yet to try Luna or GFN etc to see how they compare.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)
Page 4 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next