We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up.

Go down 
+14
Dusty Knackers
Treesmurf
beemoh
Admin
ZeroJones
The_Jaster
JayMoyles
Cube
Crumpy Andy
Buskalilly
Jimbob
Balladeer
The Cappuccino Kid
masofdas
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up. - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up.    The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up. - Page 10 EmptyWed 6 Apr 2022 - 20:16

That's what I've been saying, just put more eloquently. However Muss point will come more apprant especially with the Xboxes much like Buska with his phone purchase elsewhere (or what PC Gaming is like).
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up. - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up.    The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up. - Page 10 EmptyWed 6 Apr 2022 - 20:21

I haven't ranked all my systems, but I really don't know how I'd even begin to weigh everything up. Switch is one of my top systems because of the wealth of amazing games on it, but in terms of games that have properly made a mark on me, it... doesn't actually have that many. That's probably largely in part due to age though - I have a real nostalgia for the Wii and DS days, back when NGamer was a thing and there was palpable magazine excitement that just doesn't exist any more. That, and what mas was saying about games making a console special - I think that's more noticeable with those consoles because you just can't emulate them in the same way on consoles that have come after, because the hardware was unique.

I also just don't have as much time any more, whereas back then I had a lot more scope to just obsess over games and sleep.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up.    The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up. - Page 10 EmptyWed 6 Apr 2022 - 20:53

Interesting point about the 'palpable magazine excitement' Rum. I don't actually think that's gone anywhere for me. Obviously it's not to do with magazines, so it takes a different form: there's no months and months of reading previews to get me hyped for a big game. What we do have are more readily available trailers, and more immediate communication with people who are also hyped. I belong to four reasonably active online videogames communities, so that effect gets multiplied for me - with the result that, even though I'm older and in theory more sceptical, I reckon I'm as susceptible to the highs and lows of the hype cycle as I've ever been.

Of course, there's also going to be a relationship we have with the machines we had when we were younger that's never replicable. We had more time then, and the fact that we got fewer games made every one more special. That's no doubt a big reason why the DS and GameCube are my second and third top machines.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up.    The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up. - Page 10 EmptyWed 6 Apr 2022 - 21:42

Mmm, it's an interesting one. This is the only gaming community I've ever really contributed to, so I still associate gaming excitement with NGamer - and even then I've essentially vanished for years at a time and don't really know anyone very well!

Anyway, yes, I think GameCube would rank highly for me too. At risk of sounding like a lil Nintendo dweeb, all the Nintendo machines between GBA and 3DS are probably the most impactful for me.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up.    The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up. - Page 10 EmptyWed 6 Apr 2022 - 21:55

Cube is high for me because of the times playing likes of Melee and Dash (wonder why those two in my Top 50) amongst others, then of course Wind Waker, Resident Evil 4, Eternal Darkness etc
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up.    The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up. - Page 10 EmptyWed 6 Apr 2022 - 23:50

Balladeer wrote:

All of which to say is, I find it hard to see where Muss is coming from with his PS5 pick - in part at least.  I get recency bias, I get good controllers, and I definitely agree that games are actually better than they were despite predatory nonsense.  But I definitely don't the think the predatory nonsense side of things has gotten any better since the PS360 generation.  Primarily though, playing great PS4 games on a PS5 would just make me think, 'Wow the PS4 had/has really good games!'

I mean to be fair to the PS5, it's been nothing but banger after banger in the time I've had with it. Elden Ring, Deathloop, Astro's Playroom. And the loading times make such a huge difference to a lot of the PS4 games that you might want to play on it.

And yeah, there are absolutely awful predatory practices today. Are things better as such? Maybe not, but I suppose I'm less effected by it now. And ultimately that's the real x-factor, how I feel about things in the here and now.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up.    The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up. - Page 10 EmptyThu 7 Apr 2022 - 8:43

It's a interesting view and I'm playing LEGO Skywalker on Switch and the loading times are pretty horrendous. I could have played on my XSX but the core game wouldn't changed though.

Then if you had played Elden Ring on PS4 like Buska or your PC, wouldn't make the game worse and personally don't think it makes the PS5 or XSX great systems either.

Elden Ring just happens to be a banger of a game, that's playable on multiple systems. Why I've always thought of games as games, and then reasons to own systems with exclusive stuff.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up.    The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up. - Page 10 EmptyFri 8 Apr 2022 - 21:10

That's a little unfair Mas. He mentioned three games, one of which is a PS5 exclusive and one of which is a PS5 timed console exclusive, and you zeroed in on the other one to make your point. What's more, Muss' differential was clearly between PS5 and PS4, which doesn't have Elden Ring. I can actually appreciate Muss' fondness for the PS5 a bit better now, given those non-PS4 examples of games and to a lesser extent the loading times. (There are quite a few Switch games where the loading times gall on me. Muss' fave is one such.)

I disagree with the awful predatory practices mind, although obviously I can't identify how they impact a specific person (honestly, none of them have to this day adversely affected me directly). Nonetheless, I feel like Gran Turismo 7 has set a new low: £70 price point with a heap of microtransactions is absolutely egregious, and if it's hitting Sony's big exclusives then it might not be too long before it hits a game you love too.

On another point, 'games is games' only works if you have the time and the money to get and play all machines and all titles on them, else you will find yourself shying away from certain categories and 'games is games' becomes 'games is triple-A games and I'll ignore most of the indies' or some other distinction that separates some games out from others. While my fanboyism means I'll have more of a dog in this fight than most, I've only ever seen that statement said by people with all the machines. Not everybody has the resources for that.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up.    The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up. - Page 10 EmptyFri 8 Apr 2022 - 21:53

Yeah, I did zone in and those exclusives might be great but is less than a handful compared to nine years worth on PS4 for instance.

What you're saying about the games is game is true, why I sold my PS5 as I had all the current big three and sure I could play God of War Ragnarök, Starfield and Breath of the Wild 2 all likely very good AAA games but would I have had time to play a 20hr+ card based JRPG in Voice of Card, the answer likely not.

What I'm saying is the three games I listed for each system makes that system special, the system seller as they would say, the recently played Voice of Cards would have been the same part from maybe better load times if I had played on PS5 over Switch. Like you buy a Nintendo system for Nintendo games, and makes those systems special.

I do think this view is very much a me thing, as I look at like the Top 10 Xbox 360 games for instance on Meta which 9 of them are playable on PS3 that doesn't make the 360 special to me, those are just great games from gen 7 regardless where we played them, and we can have discussion on a great like BioShock even if we played on a 360 or the recent'ish Switch port like if we watched The Batman in Cinema or on DVD.

Sure I've been lucky to have all the systems I've wanted then some and have had the games are games view like that with BioShock as I just want to play great games. And I understand not all have the means to do so or wish to have multiple systems and even though I feel my point is about exclusives for the most part to make each system special (others things like the Wiimote for better or worse), I do actually wish my favourite medium was more open, as we don't have this for films, music or books which can just be enjoyed by all.

Then even other mediums like TV you need Disney+ for Moon Knight or Netflix for Witcher, so who knows might end up being more exclusive content places then less going forward.

Last edited by masofdas on Fri 8 Apr 2022 - 22:10; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up.    The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up. - Page 10 EmptyFri 8 Apr 2022 - 22:07

I wouldn't say that view is specifically a 'you thing', I think I broadly agree.  (That's why I said 'a bit better', not entirely!)  The exclusives do define the console for the most part.  On the other hand, you might narrow your decision down to, do I rank the PS5 higher than the Switch, in which case there's no reason Elden Ring shouldn't come into the discussion.  There's also a nostalgia factor, i.e. where did you play BioShock and do you associate it with that console - but we all know I don't really get that. Very Happy

Also, I thought your 'games is games' stance was a 'this is how it is' thing, and it's clear from that post that it's actually a personal Mas thing and I misunderstood.  Apologies.

As for 'I wish my favourite medium was more open', I do get that stance, but I think there are some compelling counterarguments.  One is the hardware differentials: less so between PS and XBox, but Nintendo do an entirely different thing with the hardware.  You don't see Panasonic and Sony doing a different thing with televisions, not fundamentally.  I reckon that without Nintendo's games being exclusive to Nintendo, you might find that you get tiny differences between hardware like there are between tellies now.  (Not sure if Sky Glass is going to ruin that example, but you get my drift I hope.)  

The other one is a more cynical one, and it's one our favourite YouTube enby has made a couple of times.  Corporations are fundamentally selfish, trying for the lowest effort they can get away with.  Nintendo's exclusives are high-quality because they're only available on their machines, and because they help sell those machines; same with Sony.  Different with MS now, but MS has vast resources that Nintendo don't and of course they sell other gaming machines too (PCs), which combined with a desire to beat Sony has led to a slightly different tack - and it's still only a few MS games that escape their ecosystem.

Overall I think exclusives are probably a necessary evil, both to keep having interesting hardware alternatives and to keep the platform-holders trying hard.  I do see the more open argument though.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up.    The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up. - Page 10 EmptyFri 8 Apr 2022 - 22:30

It's a bit a both thing, like we talked with the awards where I think it should be the best games regardless of system. Like come this year let's say Elden Ring wins Nontendo and Pokémon Legends win Nintendo, what's the better game? Much like you have a film win the best comedy or best drama but one wins overall. Know not everyone bothered about awards etc just trying to keep it simple like how some of us done Top Whatever Amount of Games lists with all sorts mixed in.

I know what you're saying, and we have seen actually seen this with the 3DO for instance as that had different makes, with the most notable being Panasonic. Yet it was buy ya game then play on your Panasonic or Goldstar or Sanyo, where it was very much as I mention like a film buy The Batman on DVD and play on your Sony player, WB get the money and want to make a good film that you'd spend your money on it and not Sonic. Much like I bought LEGO Star Wars from WB being played on Switch, if games open it be like that and each dev/publisher still striding to make the best game.

Yes, I know I'm describing the PC pretty much. As shouldn't be like I want to play Final Fantasy XVI, but I need a PS5 to do so.

Like you mention Xbox with different tack and I bring up TV services, you still have stuff only on those but is everywhere to a degree maybe we will see more of that, which I do feel will happen be hey here's the Ubisoft channel etc like even now seen some PlayStation games on PC

We are vastly going off-topic, yet if we do this again then you'll understand why I may have the PS3 higher than a 360 or Switch might move up because of Bayo 3, Splat 3, BotW2 etc
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up.    The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up. - Page 10 EmptySun 26 Jun 2022 - 16:14

Double Post as it come up in a chat with CW and EofGiz my favourite systems, which I have moved them about a little and got a new category

Home Consoles

1st GameCube
2nd Dreamcast
3rd PS4, moved up just because I look at my Top 50 games and the library overall
4th PlayStation
5th N64
6th Mega Drive
7th OG Xbox
8th PS3
9th PS2
10th SNES, moved down
11th Wii U
12th 360
13th NES
14th Wii
15th Xbox One
16th Series X, new entry I've got lower than the One as it is basically just a better One that nothing makes it unique
17th Saturn
18th PS5, As we talked about before this to me is just a better PS4 and has not a lot the makes it a PS5
19th Master System
20th Neo Geo CD
21st Jaguar
22nd 3DO
23rd 2600
24th CD-i
25th Intellivision

Handheld

1st 3DS Family
2nd VITA
3rd GameBoy
4th PSP
5th DS Family
6th GBA
7th NGPC
8th Game Gear
9th GameBoy Color
10th WonderSwan Family
11th Pokémon Mini
12th Lynx
13th N-Gage
14th game.com

Other

1st Nintendo Switch Family, it's a hybrid init well okay there's the Lite but having owned all three Switches & mostly played docked I do tend to look at it more as a home console, but I know I'll likely play Pokémon S&V portable that do I rank it twice like last time in each list or let it be its own thing
2nd PC, it doesn't fit into either of the others does it? It's not higher than the Switch as I've never been much of a PC gamer.
3rd Quest 2, as a standalone VR headset it is great
4th PSVR, it has its own library of games however could be seen as something that enhances the PS4
5th Mega CD, much like the PSVR above it with stuff like Sonic CD that needs this hardware
6th Stadia, it's cloud that point of it isn't a console and Stadia does work along with the library having a good set of games just most can be found elsewhere
7th Virtual Boy, technically it is a handheld but sod carrying it a round
8th PlayStation TV AKA VITA TV, I do love it as I can play P4G on the TV but really it is a VITA that can do less
9th Evercade Family, I do feel bad putting this here just the games on it doesn't do much for me but maybe the new handheld coming will be a great piece of tech and I'm yet to try the home console
10th Mobile/Smart devices, yeah I've never been a fan of mobile
11th OnLive, now it did have a console which I did own but was also playable on a PC as it was cloud a system that didn't really work as if Stadia/Luna/XCloud a head of the time than this even before that
12th 32x, you've all seen it right?

I think that is now everything part from the likes of ZX Spectrum +2, Amiga 1200 as I'm not sure which I've owned or not to be honest. Then I've got a SteamDeck on order which I feel will come under others as I will mostly use handheld but can see me docking for some games as well and if I had one right now where I'd play Neon White, Behind the Frame, OPUS etc on it and not Switch. I may still get a PlayDate but can't get to 2023 and then with taxes etc worked out to be like £280 which is way too much, I'd want to pay like £150.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up.    The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up. - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

The BIG Console & Handheld Vote Thread! Top 22 Best and Worst are up.
Page 10 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10